• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Really liking the DCT

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 440 miles on my DCT. I'm still reaching for the non existant clutch lever when slowing down
This bike is so easy to just get on and go. Going from a R1200GSA to the NC was a leap of faith. I was hoping I wouldn't have buyers remorse...and i haven't.
It helped knowing I was downsizing to accept it.
I have no regrets! 62 mpg in this cold weather and being brand new is great!
Anyways, glad to be on my second, and this time brand new NC

Attachments

• 20210212_145058.jpg
    20210212_145058.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210212_145125.jpg
    20210212_145125.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Best of luck with the new bike. I remember when I first took a test ride on a DCT 750X I took to it easily and I knew then that I would eventually own one. That came to pass with my X-Adv. I think it is a brilliant system and depending on use, it is for me, just as engaging as a standard gearchange. That is probably because I don't just rely on the auto aspect but vigorously engage the manual aspect also.

Best of luck with the new bike. I remember when I first took a test ride on a DCT 750X I took to it easily and I knew then that I would eventually own one. That came to pass with my X-Adv. I think it is a brilliant system and depending on use, it is for me, just as engaging as a standard gearchange. That is probably because I don't just rely on the auto aspect but vigorously engage the manual aspect also.
The X-ADV is a one of a kind! Im sure they will be much sought after . Just ugly enough for me. Im the kind of guy that would adopt a kennel hound than buy a purebread . I think they are cool!

The ghost clutching will likely go away with time. The last thing that disappeared for me was ghosting 1st with the left foot.

My second NC was also DCT and the experience suggested to me is that the engine was designed from the start to match up with the dual clutch transmission. Not that the manual is lacking but for aggressive riders the 700's engine does not signal approaching the limiter like manyengines do. The 750 is likely better at that signal with the extra 1000 rpm redline.

Two pals had manual versions of the NC700X and complained about bouncing off the rev limiter all the time. My bike is a DCT model so no such worries...just twist the throttle and GO!

Two pals had manual versions of the NC700X and complained about bouncing off the rev limiter all the time. My bike is a DCT model so no such worries...just twist the throttle and GO!
Your pals seem to have chosen the wrong motorcycle for their riding style, or they just don’t understand or know how to operate the NC engine. I have hit the rev limiter on my manual only 2 or 3 times in almost 50,000 miles.

Your pals seem to have chosen the wrong motorcycle for their riding style, or they just don’t understand or know how to operate the NC engine. I have hit the rev limiter on my manual only 2 or 3 times in almost 50,000 miles.
I don't think I ever hit the red on my 700.

I think the low rev thing depends on what other bikes you had experienced prior. My first bike was a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 any the limit on that was only 5500 rpm. The top speed was only 75 mph as well so the NC is positively a hooligan wheelie machine by comparison.

I think the low rev thing depends on what other bikes you had experienced prior. My first bike was a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 any the limit on that was only 5500 rpm. The top speed was only 75 mph as well so the NC is positively a hooligan wheelie machine by comparison.
I'd love to see the NC do a dank nooner, as the kids say these days

With over 57,000 miles on mine, never hit the limiter....Max HP is at 5800-5900 rpms (top of curve, over that and the hp goes down...) and 6th gear wont even hit the limiter, ever at top end...did over 90 once in 5th gear and didnt hit the limiter either...sweet spot on my bike when running hard (shifting fast) is shifting around 4500 rpms....but the bike was made for mpg, not HP....best mpg on the manual is shifting around 3000 rpms...

I'm obviously picking the wrong motorcycles for my skill level or else I enjoy wringing a motorcycle's neck once in a while. Probably the latter, no, actually the latter.

BTW more than one published dyno curve for the NC700X puts max hp between 6200 and 6500 rpm. Honda's press release packet from 2011 gives max hp at 6450. Red line and rev limiter is 6500. This is unusual for power output, with peak hp normally peaking somewhat before red line and rev limiter is yet a few hundred RPM beyond the leading edge of the red line. The machine usually signals "shift me". Of the motorcycles I've owned anyway. A most unusual thing about the NC engine is that "it has the torque of an 80 hp engine" but when you go looking in the usual place for that 80 hp there's a hard rev limit at 6500 rpm and 51 crank hp. Not that isn't a good thing, just unconventional.

I paraphrased the late Kevin Ash for the bit about "the torque of an 80 hp engine but".

I'm obviously picking the wrong motorcycles for my skill level or else I enjoy wringing a motorcycle's neck once in a while. Probably the latter, no, actually the latter.

BTW more than one published dyno curve for the NC700X puts max hp between 6200 and 6500 rpm. Honda's press release packet from 2011 gives max hp at 6450. Red line and rev limiter is 6500. This is unusual for power output, with peak hp normally peaking somewhat before red line and rev limiter is yet a few hundred RPM beyond the leading edge of the red line. The machine usually signals "shift me". Of the motorcycles I've owned anyway. A most unusual thing about the NC engine is that "it has the torque of an 80 hp engine" but when you go looking in the usual place for that 80 hp there's a hard rev limit at 6500 rpm and 51 crank hp. Not that isn't a good thing, just unconventional.

I paraphrased the late Kevin Ash for the bit about "the torque of an 80 hp engine but".
I havent seen any actual dynos with those numbers. If you go by the following and do the math, the max power of 50.32 was at 5793 rpms. Dont matter though, the bikes were not made for speed. Glad ITLives is enjoying his new NC....

View attachment 44094

I havent seen any actual dynos with those numbers. If you go by the following and do the math, the max power of 50.32 was at 5793 rpms. Dont matter though, the bikes were not made for speed. Glad ITLives is enjoying his new NC....

Facts matter, here's a few dyno curves to look at. I couldn't open your link however.

Last edited:
Back