• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear brake reservoir seal leaking?

dragonaut

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, looking for some advice/answers. Yesterday while fumbling with replacing the rear wheel after a tire change, I somehow managed to dislodge one of the rear brake pads. For whatever reason I was having a hell of a time getting it replaced in its proper spot and in the process I decided it would be helpful to push the brake piston in using a c-clamp as is typically done when doing a brake job. I must have gotten way too aggressive when pushing the piston in though, because I caused brake fluid to seep out of the top of the reservoir.

I did get everything reassembled and the brake works; however, it seems to be leaking a bit of fluid out with each press of the brake pedal. Have I ruined the diaphragm/seal of the brake reservoir? Is there a fix or do I just replace the seal? Not a huge deal as I am due to flush and replace brake fluid anyway as part of my spring maintenance, but I don't really want to ride the bike any until I am sure the brakes are functioning fully. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. It seems like I have a tendency to break things in the process of trying to work on them, and then (hopefully) I learn from the experience, but this is a problem I have not encountered before!

My questions would be was the brake fluid reservoir full before you pushed the piston back? If so when you push the piston back the fluid is looking for someplace to go...

I haven't opened the reservoir to see if the diaphragm shows any obvious sign of damage. The reservoir was indeed full, and the fluid needed some place to go. I know I pushed fluid out past the seal - my question is does doing so ruin the seal?

I haven't opened the reservoir to see if the diaphragm shows any obvious sign of damage. The reservoir was indeed full, and the fluid needed some place to go. I know I pushed fluid out past the seal - my question is does doing so ruin the seal?
No, it should not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back