• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear fender and rain riding

Bskicrash1

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I purchased a rear tail fender eliminator and didn’t install it due to the fact I ride in the rain and didn’t want to rooster tail my back.

I’ve been riding in the rain this past week and have noticed that the stock rear fender doesn’t extend wide enough to cover the rear wheel and the water still roosters my back with the exception of the very center where my spine is. I suspect this is because the point of the rear fender covers that area.

I now have a riding coat that has a lot of high vis yellow on the back and I think now I’m noticing the road debris more than when I had just reflective striping on my grey coat.

Does anyone have experience with a tail fender eliminator on the NC?

I’m taking pity on you seeing as no one else has replied. I haven’t done the rear fender eliminator, and won’t. The style of the bike goes along with the stock fender.

Just posted some pics of my fender mod today. I have a slight concern about the same issue. I plan on adding a GS style rear fender. I will learn to live with any additional fly'n water after that...
I just thought the stock fender was a bit much, if not a complete afterthought. Not to mention there is probably some vibration from moment waaaay back there. We'll see I guess.
IMG_2297.jpg IMG_2311.jpg
download.jpg

The tail tidy looks nice. It does seem to make this specific bike look a little short (in length) to my eye). Given your mod I think you will need the GS style fender to compensate to some degree. Another way to mitigate spray is to add side cases. The only down side of those is that it's more to clean (if you're into that sort of thing).

Just looked at the pics again. AVG1940 already has side cases. I see the shad mounts. BSKicrash1 might want to consider sidecases?

Just looked at the pics again. AVG1940 already has side cases. I see the shad mounts. BSKicrash1 might want to consider sidecases?
The stock rear fender design was at least partially inspired by laws regarding the total area of reflector and separation distances required. Just wasn't sitting well with my eye. The pics below put the mods in better context, i'm already used to the new look. I think the GS style fender will round it out nicely. This was a fun project, and bonus, the new signals kinda match the design/shape of the Shad side cases (the original signals are clearly price-point units). These LED units are more compact and made of metal. Now, off to do the fronts.
IMG_2325.jpg67244410302__1C11E499-94ED-45E0-B0A7-C0C50392BB6F.jpg

AVG1940, I look forward to the additional BMW gs style fender that you propose. I did install my tail tidy and just rode in the rain. I’ll attach pics of the road grime that splattered up and dried. I have to say honestly that I can’t tell a noticeable difference from the stock fender.

C5CB51DE-9ED7-4D38-9740-418E179A4828.jpeg09662062-E34B-4C59-A220-440B6D433BCE.jpeg

AVG1940, I look forward to the additional BMW gs style fender that you propose. I did install my tail tidy and just rode in the rain. I’ll attach pics of the road grime that splattered up and dried. I have to say honestly that I can’t tell a noticeable difference from the stock fender.

View attachment 49107View attachment 49108
Yeah, the stock fender is a joke. Nothing more than a styling study, and nearly nothing to do with actual splash protection. Not having it mounted is probably not too much different than what we now have.

Attachments

• 8A0A3FAC-2AD4-489F-822A-47E3284C18B9.jpeg
    8A0A3FAC-2AD4-489F-822A-47E3284C18B9.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 394E979E-36F3-40A7-8732-29B8626D1608.jpeg
    394E979E-36F3-40A7-8732-29B8626D1608.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 17
  • D11C6CEB-4797-4A1F-AFAF-A9231743359F.jpeg
    D11C6CEB-4797-4A1F-AFAF-A9231743359F.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2F53D90B-0808-4EDC-B55B-F1C17308C198.jpeg
    2F53D90B-0808-4EDC-B55B-F1C17308C198.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 14
I did the tail delete a long time ago and havent had many issues with rain flick. I ride in the rain often too and it does kick up underneath a lot but between my plate and the rear rack bracket it seems to stop most of it.

Occasionally in really muddy areas, I'll see some make it to my top case latch but even that is rare.

I have a rear fender on it now and it doesnt offer any additional protection, its mostly for looks haha

IMG_1197.jpg

Most people don't ride in the rain so they probably figured you can get whatever you need if you do. I wouldn't want an un-needed large fender myself.
That sounds like something someone from cali would say haha
Around here a lot of people might not go out in the rain but most definitely everyone rides in the rain. It is unavoidable haha

Citation, please?
Just an observation after 9 bikes and many years of riding. More like a commonsense assumption. No hard facts but I would almost bet money on it, (not a betting person). Shurley more people do in rainy areas but most places in the U.S. aren't rainy on the average. I lived in Portland Oregon and saw it rain 33 days straight one time. I did have a bike then but didn't ride when it rained. We all have gotten stuck in the rain but that's another story.
We could argue about it but I'm not going to.

Last edited:
Back