• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Rear Rim Replacement - NC750XD

koganm

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Hoping to get some info from those in the know.

So my rear tyre was loosing air recently and after taking it to the tyre repair shop they reckon that I’ll have to soon replace my rim because the previous owner used a quick puncture repair spray. Apparently it contains sulphuric acid and it’s caused advanced oxidisation.

For those that don’t know, now you know.

A new rim from Honda is quite expensive here in South Africa so my only option is to check for a good used rim.

Will a rear rim from the NC700 work on an NC750XD (dct 2014 model)?

Apologies if this has been asked before, I could not find anything on the forum.

Tia
Kogan

The engine size has no direct correlation to the rear rim type. I’m quite certain your 2014 750 rim should be compatible with a rim from previous models.

I know the front wheels are interchangeable ( I have a 2018 front on my 2013). I would assume the same as the rear. If the axle part numbers are the same and the spacers part numbers are the same, then the wheel should be interchangeable.

Comparing the parts lists of 2014 vs 2018, the only difference I see (other than maybe color) is the 2018 has the right angle metal valve stem vs a rubber straight valve stem.
Same with the front. My front wheel now has a right angle metal valve. No problems.

Can the rim not be repaired? Bead blasted and resealed with paint maybe? How much acid is in that stuff?
That was going to be my first question too. Soooo many people/shops/"techs" are of the school that says "just throw it away and get a new one". Bull cra... Take that tire and rim off the bike, break it down and do a thorough cleaning and inspection of it. LOOK and see where there's troublesome areas. Once you find any and all areas that are questionable, then there's a zillion ways to go about a repair. Epoxy mixes is close to the top of the list. Second OR first, depending on your point of view, 3M 5200 sealant is without a doubt, some of the finest sealant and high quality component that 3M puts out.

But before applying any form of sealant to a questionable area, you may need to use a Dremel tool with a ball type deburring tip. That will clean out any corrosion down to good aluminum. By the way, use some safety glasses if you go this route. Them dang little chips can go everywhere, including your EYES! Once the area is gouged out and you have good aluminum showing, then wipe the area with alcohol and dry which will take seconds. I go one step further on this prep before applying the sealant and that is to heat the area with a heat gun. I do that so every single trace of moisture is evacuated from the entire area. THEN apply enough epoxy or 3M5200 or whatever repair/patch component you choose. Let that cure for the proper amount of time, usually labeled on the tube.

Since I'm new here, I don't know how many pics I can attach with a post. But, if they'll post, then you'll see what I did to convert a tube type rim to a tubeless one. Long story short, I converted the tube-type wheels on my Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT to tubeless ones about 2+ years ago and installed two new Dunlop Trailmission Max tires at the same time. To this day, I've not lost ONE POUND of air in either wheel other than ambient temperature changes which is natural.

Any case OP, do yourself a DRASTIC favor and look into repairing any issues with the wheels you have BEFORE you pry open your wallet for some new ones. New tubeless wheels for my A/T - A/S- DCT are around $1,000 or more. I converted mine for about $50 total.

Attachments

• Conversion 3.JPG
    Conversion 3.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Conversion 5.JPG
    Conversion 5.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Conversion 8.JPG
    Conversion 8.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
The rear rim of our 2021 was dented after hitting a pothole. We took it to 2 places to see if they could repair it and they declined. We ordered a new one, waiting for it to arrive, at a cost of $800 U.S. All we can say is OUCH!!!!! I could not find a used one or a cheaper solution. This is crazy expensive, I could purchase a couple of car rims for that price.

Yep,
That's on par for m/c stuff. No one that I know of LIKES to pay all the high prices for parts but it is what it is. If one is lucky enough to find one on ebay or a local ad or maybe craigslist, then that's great. But, the timing has to be right. $800 smackers, wow!
Scott

Back