• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear turn signals/ license light cables?

bullhead

Reaction score
Visit site
The previous owner of my motorcycle installed a cheap fender eliminator kit. It has its own license plate light, and he kept the factory turn signal lights on it. Fortunately, he returned the OEM fender assembly to me.

I was planning on reinstalling the OEM assembly, both because I will be riding in the rain, and to keep the bike technically legal.

To my dismay, I discovered that the previous owner had not only spliced and soldered the license plate light (which I expected), but he also shortened the OEM turn signal cables by cutting and soldering them too. I was hoping he just tied the excess slack.

I'm not sure how to approach this. I thought I could just order new light assemblies and plug them in, but I had no idea how expensive they were. I could deal with removing the old solder from the license plate light and re-soldering the OEM one back on, but I don't know what to do about the missing cable length for the turn signals. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also, is it even safe to solder these wires, considering how close they are to the gas tank?

I would simply splice in a new piece of wire of the same gauge to make the turn signal leads an appropriate length to reach their destination. My preference for the extension connection would be an in-line soldered splice covered with heat shrink tubing

Adding length to the wires would look sort of like that in my attached picture of my extension of the handlebar switch gear cables.
86A1F88B-F2E1-4994-ACD2-DD4B19E61822.jpeg

Back