• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear wheel bearings?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
Got home from a multi-day ride yesterday. Lots of fun and lots of miles and smiles!

As I pushed the bike into its parking place (about 90 seconds, maybe 2 minutes tops, after pulling in and shutting down), I heard a strange noise from the rear wheel area. It was a kind of moaning squeal (squeal-ish moan?). I’d almost say just a moan, but maybe not quite.

Has anyone had this? What was it? Wheel bearing(s)? Something else?

I’ll see again tomorrow or later this week if it’s still there, and whether it’s only after a ride or what. We’d been rolling _fast_ for quite a while, it was fairly warm (95 - 100), and we were 2-up plus a full load of luggage before we pulled in.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Not wheel bearings I would guess rear brake pads OR you picked up a stick, string etc that is causing a noise. Recommend lifting the rear wheel with center stand or wheel stand and inspect everything and rotate wheel by had to locate noise.

Reactions: MZ5
I had to replace my rear bearings around 32k miles. I had done a fair amount of two up and solo touring. Lots of rainy miles too.

The axle would kind of honk sometimes. It started with occasional squeals and weird noises. A moaning is a way to describe it

To really diagnose the issue you'll have to take the wheel off and examine the bearings. They should spin smoothly and consistently. Sometimes you can check it by pushing on the wheel with it off the ground— there should be no side to side play in the wheel. I'm sure there are some good YouTube U videos on the subject

I very rarely come in contact with rain as it doesn't rain for about 9 months of the year and then when it does I don't ride in the rain that much I think the critical part is maintaining the rubber seals in front of the wheel bearings most people don't replace them but if you replace them every 25,000 or so you will probably never replace the bearings. A really nice benefit in the front the spacers don't fall out when you go to put the tire in spacers falling out is a dead giveaway that the seal no longer fits tightly and that allows grit water etc

Currently at 40,000 mi my bearings are perfect when I put my finger in and rotate them they are fluid and smooth

I have the rear wheel squeal, and it is definitely the rear brake pad. The pads are not anywhere near worn out, but I find that pulling the rear axle, greasing everything up, and reassembling it makes it go away for a while. Not sure the exact cause, but I just live with it.

Well, I haven't been able to get the sound to come back. Neither have I been able to detect trouble with the bearings (or brakes, or axle, or...).

I guess I'll write it off as a one-time peculiarity, until or unless it comes back or some other symptom appears.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

With the wheel installed on the bike, it's often difficult to "feel" anything amiss with the wheel bearings but with the wheel off, it's fairly easy to notice any roughness in one or both bearings.

Back