• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Regarding DCT in S-mode: When do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?? (not on 2016 model)

jangermann

Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding DCT in S-mode: If you do a moderate (slow) acceleration, at what speed do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?

I don't want a debate, but would be very happy if anyone will do the test and answer my question. I fear that I have a fault in my DCT and need to know what's normal.
Thanks

Around 100 kph in S-mode. It won't switch even if you force it lower than ~95kph. Sometimes it stays in 4th\5th gear upto to 140 kph

Depends on which S-mode for the '16s as we have 3 options, just sayin'!! :cool:

In D it changes <40, maybe around 37. In S1 it is more in the 50-60 range. I say range because it seems to take into consideration whether I'm going uphill or not, and more importantly my rate of acceleration. If I'm slowly increasing speed on a flat it is closer to 50. If I'm "having fun" on entering a faster road then it's closer to 60 and I've even had it in the 65 range I think when I really wound it up getting on a motorway.

Around 100 kph in S-mode. It won't switch even if you force it lower than ~95kph. Sometimes it stays in 4th\5th gear upto to 140 kph

Thanks. In very slow acceleration (no wind on flat road) mine never shifts to 6 gear under 140kmt, is that normal? I find it extreme

Last edited:

In D it changes <40, maybe around 37. In S1 it is more in the 50-60 range. I say range because it seems to take into consideration whether I'm going uphill or not, and more importantly my rate of acceleration. If I'm slowly increasing speed on a flat it is closer to 50. If I'm "having fun" on entering a faster road then it's closer to 60 and I've even had it in the 65 range I think when I really wound it up getting on a motorway.

Thanks. The 2016 model is nice with all the S modes. But my guestion is only for the 2014/2015 model (see heading), and with very slow acceleration on flat road

Last edited:
Thanks. In very slow acceleration (no wind on flat road) mine never shifts to 6 gear under 140kmt, is that normal? I find it extreme
it shifts to 6th over 100 kph but not that fast. try manual switching if it works I wouldn't bother. 6th gear in S-mode uses mysterious switching algo.

Jumping in here to add some clarification. The original question is in regards to the 750, not the 700. If the gearing is different, shift points may be as well. Also, the OP, being from Denmark, may think in terms of kph. You didn't state the measurement units, but I assume your numbers all represent mph.

Last edited:
...If there is some thing wrong with my bike, I want it fixed...

Can you test ride similar (2014-2015) NC or CTX? This would give you peace of mind that the problem is with your NC or this is expected behavior.

PCM is getting signal about bike speed from only one sensor - VS sensor. Testing is described in section 4 and 12 of service manual.
The signal from sensor is split for combination meter and PCM. Testing is pretty complicated because involves erasing of DTC code and initial test ride. The most difficult is getting to PCM module.

You may also perform "Clutch Initialize Learning" procedure described in section 12 of service manual. Some people report that they ride improved...(?)

You may also perform "Clutch Initialize Learning" procedure described in section 12 of service manual. Some people report that they ride improved...(?)

I was gonna cut & paste the service manual instructions for that but lo and behold here it is: :p

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/10762-86-1-code-2015-nc700x-dct-post155681.html#post155681

Speed is probably not the thing you want to use to measure whether it's working or not since that can vary based on a lot of external factors.

Pay more attention to what the RPM is when things happen.

I would think that the S mode avoids that sluggish 6th gear until it absolutely has to use it, eg 5000+ RPM is achieved in 5th and you're still asking for more.
Generally that's going to be freeway / breaking the law speeds. :)

That speed is going to vary on the gearing, your weight, the wind resistance, road, tires and so on. Remember, the NC has lots of torque at any RPM so it is
possible to slowly accelerate to very high road speeds without particularly driving the RPM high.

My 2014 NC750XD will not switch to 6th gear before 130km/h in S mode (accelerating very slowly)
This is really too high for an econo-bike.

On the other hand, in D mode it will sometimes switch to 6th before 65km/h.
Even if the engine handles it, this creates too much vibration for my own liking.

This is the reason why I always use the bike in Manual Mode.
I still like the DCT though : smooth gear changes, no clutch to worry about in the traffic, and the down-shifting from 2nd to 1st gear is very convenient.

Just a thought. Has anyone given some thought as to why there is 'S-mode'?
There is never occasion for me to want 6th gear in S-mode (spirited) riding.
Maybe the good people at Honda assumed that too.

There are few occasions where 6th is appropriate from S-mode (going downhill), you use the toggle shifter,
but I doubt you can keep it there, since it will return to S-mode at the next throttle action.

If you want to see the bike shift to 6th (overdrive) gear for a duration, switch to 'D-mode'.

IMO, this shift mapping is no different up to 2015 models.

When I want to accelerate fast, but not shift, I use S mode, then switch to manual when I want 6th gear.
Mine is a 700, and it shifts to 6th at 55 mph, 88kph, and 5th at 54 mph, 86 kph if I slow at all.

Playing on the freeway just now...

The 2016 DCT in S3 mode will not shift to 6th until 5000 RPM is reached in 5th. That was happening at 70mph or 113 km/h for me and my bike with just over 2k miles on the clock.

I'd hit the - button and force it into 5th and slow down to 60mph then let the auto kick back in and stay there for a minute. Then I'd slowly accelerate to 70mph and made a note of when it shifted and every time that was 5000 RPM...

Manual switching do work in S-mode, but only above 3000 rpm.
I made this video (see my fight to get it to shift to 6 gear i s-mode) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEKbUH08I70

If there is some thing wrong with my bike, I want it fixed.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with your bike.

Nice video. Better than a thousand words to describe your situation.
DCT shift points are mapped (pre-programmed) and are stored (like a computer) at the factory.
Below is my post from two years ago when I first was as curious as you are about the S-mode shift points.

When I tested s-mode on the highway, I found 2 shift points depending on how hard I got on the throttle.
Shifts at 70 mph (112) with a 50% throttle turn.
Shifts at 90 mph (145) with a full throttle.
Also, driving on a declining or downhill section, the DCT shifts into 6th with no throttle.
I think the computer takes into account more than what the rider thinks it should do, which is a lot safer IMO.

We have to take into account, that "spirited" riding will mean different things to each rider according to their style of riding.
Honda engineers tried to accommodate as many riders as they could given their budget.
IMO, they did an excellent job and our job is to acknowledge the weaknesses exist since there is no perfect bike.
Not yet, anyway.

Playing on the freeway just now...

The 2016 DCT in S3 mode will not shift to 6th until 5000 RPM is reached in 5th. That was happening at 70mph or 113 km/h for me and my bike with just over 2k miles on the clock.

I'd hit the - button and force it into 5th and slow down to 60mph then let the auto kick back in and stay there for a minute. Then I'd slowly accelerate to 70mph and made a note of when it shifted and every time that was 5000 RPM...

Curious about S3 mode.
Is that the most aggressive mode of the three S-modes?

Curious about S3 mode.
Is that the most aggressive mode of the three S-modes?

Yes it is. I haven't examined all the modes in depth but it does seem to hang on to the lower gears much longer by than D mode...

There's a dyno chart somewhere on here that shows the peak torque of 43.67 ft/lb at 4680 RPM and a peak horsepower of 48.02 at 6140 RPM so I think S3 lets you rev to right where those figures cross then upshifts, efficiency be damned. :) This was on flat ground so who knows what it does on long grades...

The rev bar has colors now to let you know when you're most efficient.

Lugging the engine makes it go yellow which is pretty much what D mode does all the time, up shifting at 3000 RPM. 35mph and its reaching for 6th...
I believe this is the most fuel efficient mode, I've seen 72mpg here cruising no more than 50-55mph.

S1 keeps it in the 'green' zone which is just over 3000 RPM and this mode feels most like what I would be doing in a manual shift bike or a stick shift car.

Haven't played with S2. S3 is what I use getting on the freeway and merging, then I flip it back to D.

So Honda did listen to people.
Many have noted that the two modes are "too far apart" in terms of shifting.
Now with the 2016 models they provided softer 'S1 & S2" modes. LOL

I like the 'dial- a - mode' wheel control idea, better. (kudos to Therapy for mentions)
Or is that like copying a BMW patent?

So Honda did listen to people.
Many have noted that the two modes are "too far apart" in terms of shifting.
Now with the 2016 models they provided softer 'S1 & S2" modes. LOL

I like the 'dial- a - mode' wheel control idea, better. (kudos to Therapy for mentions)
Or is that like copying a BMW patent?

I've had a chance to take some tight S curves and twisties in all the modes. The S modes are definitely better for that sort of riding.
There's very little engine braking in D mode, so when you set up for the tight turn, rolling off won't give you the deceleration you need. Have to trail brake into the turn.
Then at your apex when you want some acceleration and speed to right the bike, rolling on in D mode it upshifts and the bike slowly comes up again. You'll never
get rid of your chicken strips in D mode. :)

S3-mode is an entirely different story, rolling off gives you the deceleration and speed reduction on the straight part before the turn, all engine braking. No need to touch the brakes and upset your suspension / traction etc... You can delay the apex and rapidly throw the bike over, confident that when it's time to bring it back up you'll have the acceleration you need. That being said, it ain't no sportbike so what I'm basically saying is you can take turns faster and more aggressively in S3 mode than D mode. D mode does have some kind of 'performance NOW!' sense when you pin the throttle wide open and delays the upshifts a bit, probably for emergencies and stuff, but you don't really want to rely on that bent over in a curve. :)

Manual switching do work in S-mode, but only above 3000 rpm.
I made this video (see my fight to get it to shift to 6 gear i s-mode) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEKbUH08I70

If there is some thing wrong with my bike, I want it fixed.

most important thing is that 750 version has different DCT firmware with 700 version (dunno about newest 2015-2016 700). if you playing with throttle in S mode it will try to stay away from 6th gear, no matter you are deccelerating or accelerating in 5th.
So, if you really want to be sure if everything is ok do the proper test:
find flat straight road
switch to S from the beginning
accelerate to 110-120 kph and keep revs stable, keep speed stable - if you will be accelerating coz of road glide slope or twising handle it may not work
it SHOULD switch withing a few moment to 6th gear and will keep it (also you may try to switch it to 6th with + paddle, this could be another test)
twist very lightly and softly to accelerate more to 130-140 - it should stay in 6th gear.
then slowly deccelerate twisitng handle very lightly to 100-110 kph, it should stay in 6th.

if it is not working that way check oil level and viscosity, maybe coolant level. if they are ok head to dealership to do proper checks.

p.s.: unfortunately I have dashcam only facing forward under the windshield and nothing like gopro, so I can't make you a video

Last edited:
Back