• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Regular or Premium fuel?

AP1

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you use Regular or Premium fuel in your NC700X?

Someone told me it runs on regular, but when I looked at the manual (online) and saw 91 or 92 octane, that's premium where I live (Washington state). For a bike focused on fuel economy, I'd think Honda would have designed the NC to run on regular.

"Our" Regular, here in North America is just fine.

The NC is designed to run on RON (Research Octane Number) 91 or higher.

If you filled up in the UK, this is the lowest number you would go for at the pump.

Because Canada and the USA (and a few other countries around the world, Australia and New Zealand, I believe, too) utilise an additional method of testing this octane measurement, (MON) the figures shown at the pump will read a little bit differently. They will show a "lower" number, but this is not lower per se; it's merely a different way of expressing that 91 RON.

RON and MON (Motor Octane Number) test numbers are added together, and then divided by 2. This gives the average number between the two rating test methods, and is displayed at the pumps, as the AKI (Anti Knock Index) You will see this display figure written on the pumps: (R+M)/2)

So. If you see "87" (Chevron Regular for example here in western Canada) it really equates to: "91-92" RON

Exactly what the NC700X calls for. :D

Regular is what is called out in the manual. From what I understand, the online manual is for the European NC700. In Europe they use Research Octane Number ratings. In the USA, we use Pump Octane Number ratings. For the same fuel, the Research is higher than the Pump octane number. Apparently fuel with a RON of 92 would have a PON of about 86.

Bob

Regular is what is called out in the manual. From what I understand, the online manual is for the European NC700. In Europe they use Research Octane Number ratings. In the USA, we use Pump Octane Number ratings. For the same fuel, the Research is higher than the Pump octane number. Apparently fuel with a RON of 92 would have a PON of about 86.

Bob

As Bob says- the online PDF manual does not list North America spec bike specific notations. Your owner's manual with your bike (when you get it, lol) will list these different little odds 'n sods.

"Our" Regular, here in North America is just fine.

The NC is designed to run on RON (Research Octane Number) 91 or higher.

If you filled up in the UK, this is the lowest number you would go for at the pump.

Because Canada and the USA (and a few other countries around the world, Australia and New Zealand, I believe, too) utilise an additional method of testing this octane measurement, (MON) the figures shown at the pump will read a little bit differently. They will show a "lower" number, but this is not lower per se; it's merely a different way of expressing that 91 RON.

RON and MON (Motor Octane Number) test numbers are added together, and then divided by 2. This gives the average number between the two rating test methods, and is displayed at the pumps, as the AKI (Anti Knock Index) You will see this display figure written on the pumps: (R+M)/2)

So. If you see "87" (Chevron Regular for example here in western Canada) it really equates to: "91-92" RON

Exactly what the NC700X calls for. :D

Thanks for the scientific explanation. LOL. I just know that the calculating method is different in the US than other part of the world. My understand is that the NC will run on the lowest Octane rated fuel available to your country. High octane fuel is generally needed in a high compression engine or turbo charged.

Over here in cheeseland, we have 95 and 98.
difference is just 4-5rappen (100rp = 1 chf = 89 US cents).
I usually go for the top fuel, bcoz well...just bcoz...
:rolleyes:

I have noticed that when i run a tank of 87, I will get about 68mpg
But when I run a tank of 91, Im getting 74mpg.... I have tried this on 3 different fill ups(both grades) and have had the same results..... anyone else???

But when I run a tank of 91, Im getting 74mpg.... I have tried this on 3 different fill ups(both grades) and have had the same results..... anyone else???

That is a interesting observation. I'll fill her up with the good stuff for a test.

Ethanol? That would be my guess Some locations the top 91-93 rating (USA) contains less, or no ethanol.

or...

Does the bike timing adjust to knock sensor? Usually its a safety net so if you use the wrong fuel you don't destroy the engine. But a few cars can adjust to different knock rating on the different fuels.

I ran a similar test on my PCX 125. scooter. 5 tanks of 87, and 5 tanks of 93 (Shell) I had the same route, to work, and home. No deviation, traffic is pretty constant. I noticed no difference in fuel economy. 94 MPG averaged.

Because I like trying and testing new things. This spring I'll run the same test on the NC700X

Any chance your 87 is 10% ethanol while your 91 is pure gasoline? That would account for a 3-4% difference in gas mileage.

The octane rating itself does not indicate the potential energy content.

I get 78 MPG on plain old 87 octane with 10% ethanol. I got 80 MPG with pure gasoline, which happened to also be 87 octane. That station quit selling the pure gas though, so that option disappeared :(.

Greg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies! I feel better about being able to use Regular. I also feel better educated. Very cool.

As low as the compression ratio is on the NC, buying high octane gas is not necessary. The higher octane fuels advantage is its resistance to pre-detonation (Knock) associated with higher compression/high rpm engines. Spend your fuel dollars ( Euros, Pounds, Rubbles, whatever) on good quality fuel from a known supplier, no Uncle Bob's Gas and Guzzle.

I do occasionally run a tank through of Chevron 92 or 94, though.

Not for it's octane, but for the (supposed) benefits of "even more Techron" and free of any ethanol crap. I figure it's a possible help to swirl in some additional concentration of cleaner/chemical Witch's brew through the combustion chambers every once and a while. Now whether or not this really makes one iota of difference, I have no idea lol. :rolleyes:

Not for it's octane, but for the (supposed) benefits of "even more Techron" and free of any ethanol crap. I figure it's a possible help to swirl in some additional concentration of cleaner/chemical Witch's brew through the combustion chambers every once and a while. Now whether or not this really makes one iota of difference, I have no idea lol. :rolleyes:

Techron is good. You can buy the Techron additive separately and use it occasionally. The best advice for gasoline in the US is to use a Top Tier gas. Here is the story on it...

Top Tier Gasoline

In my locality, there is a Marathon fuel terminal sitting on a pipeline at the edge of town. I'd guess 90% of the fuel stations in the area, of many different brands, all get their fuel delivered from the same terminal. I'm guessing there are some additives dumped in for certain brands, but I'm skeptical. I'd bet it's the same gasoline no matter where you buy it from.

We have no Chevron stations nearby anyway. There are few, if any, in the state of Illinois.

Greg

In my locality, there is a Marathon fuel terminal sitting on a pipeline at the edge of town. I'd guess 90% of the fuel stations in the area, of many different brands, all get their fuel delivered from the same terminal. I'm guessing there are some additives dumped in for certain brands, but I'm skeptical. I'd bet it's the same gasoline no matter where you buy it from.

We have no Chevron stations nearby anyway. There are few, if any, in the state of Illinois.

Greg

You are right and wrong Greg,

There is both segregated and fungible transport within a pipeline system. The same pipeline also carries diesel fuel, but this does not mean that you are burning diesel. Between the batches there is an intermix zone where the material will have to be downgraded to a lower or generic product. But, you are correct because many top name gas brands used fungible stock in at least some of their markets. The difference there is in the additive package. There has been sufficient work by the car companies to say that there is a difference between the add-packages of different brands - thus the Top Tier initiative. The additive package may be only a quart into 8000 gallons added by the driver, but it is a difference that makes a difference. Whether you think the difference is worth the difference, is up to you. I use top tier gasolines. My favorite is QT in this region because I also like their attached stores when I am traveling.

You are right and wrong Greg,

There is both segregated and fungible transport within a pipeline system. The same pipeline also carries diesel fuel, but this does not mean that you are burning diesel. Between the batches there is an intermix zone where the material will have to be downgraded to a lower or generic product. But, you are correct because many top name gas brands used fungible stock in at least some of their markets. The difference there is in the additive package. There has been sufficient work by the car companies to say that there is a difference between the add-packages of different brands - thus the Top Tier initiative. The additive package may be only a quart into 8000 gallons added by the driver, but it is a difference that makes a difference. Whether you think the difference is worth the difference, is up to you. I use top tier gasolines. My favorite is QT in this region because I also like their attached stores when I am traveling.

Beemerphile, I bow to your chemistry background in regards to gasoline and additives. But, I'm a very frugal and skeptical consumer. Yes, I have read that the additive package can be only a quart added to a tanker truck. The fuel retailers do not entice me when they employ marketing schemes like "Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline." The average non chemistry educated consumer has no clue what that actually means, but some people buy into the hype anyway.

I believe my motorcycles and other engines will live long healthy lives on plain old generic 87 gasoline and no special additives, and I will pocket the savings so I can retire early and ride more.

Greg

Back