• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Remove/Replace tires

Strat I can't tell your location on tapatalk but if your anywhere near southeastern in I have the tools needed to change tires and would be glad to help you out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

GreenBoy - I looked up QuadBoss and found it's mainly a dirt bike and ATV sealant which makes me wonder about its use at high speed with air temp above 80 F?
"High-speed" I suspect would be considerably faster than 80mph since dirt and desert riders go that fast and faster in environments that are a lot tougher -- but as always, disclaimers and legal liability get tested differently by different providers. I know I've used it above 100 degrees and over 80mph...

Some time ago this patent abstract was interesting reading...

As I've said before, the great majority of preventative tire sealant products with claims to tire balancing (other than the latex-based ones still found in the mountain bike/bicycle market) have the same ingredients in the carrier for the suspended particles and additives, the main one being propylene or ethylene glycol. You may recognize this as the basic ingredient of antifreeze, which also if you recall is a heat trransfer agent.

Various "logjam" filler particles are in use. In the off-road-oriented market the push has always been to be MORE effective at sealing holes and so that's been the main marketing approach -- because off-road people worry less about perfect tire balance in rough surface conditions and more about getting home without having to ride on a rim. But the formulations of various sealants tend to have similar mixtures and QuadBoss is just another player who happened to start out dealing only with ATVs and thus needed to market at a price that could fill four of those huge tires. I use QuadBoss because it's easily available for a good price... even though it hasn't yet pushed its marketing approach toward the on-pavement crowd that's been getting shafted by extreme pricing due to the earlier players in that market. But you can find a lot of competing similar products in various market sectors and and regions, and I'd be likely to use a different product if it was effective, available, and affordable in my region. Look at MonsterSeal -- they seem to be marketing aggressively these days toward hard core enthusiasts and the few prices I've seen are not bad...

...I understand SLIME, one of the earliest players in the market with ambitions to be a world-wide name, has improved its formulations -- though at the time I tried it quite a few years ago the tire shops hated it, and I didn't have real good luck with it.

thanks to everyone who posted...it's encouraging... at least now I know what tools I'll need.
'guess I can put the butter knife back in the kitchen. :)

Do you belong to a MC club? I belong to a BMW club BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont: Official Homepage. Nice folks but none of the members I know are under an hour away. Is there a Cycle Gear nearby? I hear some Cycle Gear shops sell tires and will change them.

I found that for me, the easiest way to break the bead is a large (8-10") C-Clamp. Just position it so both sides are on the bead and up against the rim and start to screw the clamp down. I put a piece of Duct Tape on the rim at those two points to prevent any scratching.
The bead WILL break loose.

In my opinion it's worth it to have someone else do it. I've done it myself but it's more work than I want to deal with. You don't need to go to a Honda dealer most any MC shop should be able to change it, there used to be an independent shop here that would do them for $20, wheel off the bike of coarse, however he's no longer in business.

^^^ yeah, defo take the wheels off first if you want to save.

the powersports honda dealer here is well known to be always the most expensive choice. Wish that were different
I'm pretty sure I get a good deal. The going rate is much higher I hear. I have always tried to give the shop my business in bikes and parts by allowing them to match internet pricing plus a little and I've brought in pizza and doughnuts a few times. Those are rapport builders and ways to say thank you and I value the relationship with them. I've gotten back far more in friendships and answers to maintenance questions etc. and I want a brick and mortar shop to hang around.

Seems like my local storefront has become increasingly mercenary since they have a new larger location lease or purchase to pay off. Best I can do is call all the local powersports dealers and find the least objectionable price -- if there is one ; }

, there used to be an independent shop here that would do them for $20, wheel off the bike of coarse, however he's no longer in business.

Because he did not charge enough...........EVEN if he spent just 20 minutes per wheel, he still going broke slowly. No matter the shop size or location just writing up repair order can cost the shop $20 is overhead cost and labor time.

From a business point of view even $50 per wheel it would be hard to make money if tech spends all in 30 minutes per wheel. Especially if the shop did not sell the tire. This is why many shops do not allow carry in tires. Not to mention carry in tires puts the installing dealer in middle of the customer and the tire supplier if there is ever a problem in the future.

Last edited:
From a business point of view even $50 per wheel it would be hard to make money if tech spends all in 30 minutes per wheel...

Does it really take that long? I was shocked when I found out how expensive it was to change motorcycle tires around here. The cheapest I could find was $55 + tax per tire if the wheels were off the bike. When I got my winter tires put on rims for my truck I was charged $15 per tire and it took 15 minutes for all four mounted and balanced.

Considering the nearest shop that would touch a motorcycle wheel is 250 km from where I live I think I am going to buy the gear to do it myself next time.

Does it really take that long? I was shocked when I found out how expensive it was to change motorcycle tires around here.

When your in the repair business the tech clock ( 6 minute segments) starts when the tech pulls the repair order from dispatch and stops when he finishes the paper work and clocks off when the tire is returned to pickup area. But the dealer still has costs in writing the order, accounting, filing , taxes, credit card fee, tire disposal, supply costs, equipement amorizied costs and the overhead costs like power, heat/ AC and insurance.

Many variables.......Depending on the tire,rim, tire equipment used, balancing equipment used, skill level and does everything go perfect.......20-30 minutes would be reasonable time estimation. Certainly if everything is setup the actual tire machine work can be short and tire can zipped on and off the rim in just a few minutes. But there is more to it than that.

Professional shop grade tire machine and balancer might be in range from $1000-$4000 and the last thing the dealer tech wants to do is scratch a $800-$1000 rim !!!

Last edited:
Tool Box

Hey OCR- any chance of other shots showing how you attached this to the Givi Mount and what tool box you used? TIA-
Arnold

If you are a dirt adventure rider with tube type tires for the dirt, you will carry these tools with you at all times. You will also carry extra tubes. No just putting in a string patch and going on your merry way, as with tubeless tires. For all you folks who want the advantages of the spoked 21" tube type tires with tube locks that you can let the air pressure down to 20 lbs of air for the dirt, there are disavanages, ALSO! No Honda dealership around the corner, you must learn to do it all yourself when in the dirt, yet still keep it lite....... Add a two sided screw driver, phillips and regular for lite weight when in the dirt.

Tool Box......
View attachment 32135

Couple 2 x 4s to break the bead $4 each
Motion Pro rim protectors $11 for 2 on amazon
Harbor freight tire irons $5.99 a piece
Ride on $14-$15 for 8 oz on amazon

For years I did all my own tire repair and replacement. They were all tubed tires. It was the old days and I didn't have much money. Then my first replacement of a tubeless tire was in 1980 on the rear wheel of my '79 low rider.

Holy poops. Even with a roller box full of tools and fifteen years of bike maintenance I had to break the bead by jacking up my Jeep three times on the freakin' wheel. The half a dozen other methods I tried first, some suggested here, never came close.

While I love tubeless because of easy (temporary) repair oh the road, replacement can be a *****. I'm a geezer now and pulling the wheel and driving to my local shop is worth $35.

I'll do my own work on a KLR, but that's a tube job. If I was still a broke kid I'd get out my jack.

This is probably not in most peoples budget, and i don't think it would pay if you only had one bike, but i have a few. I also have seen peoples rims get hacked up by amateurs masquerading as professionals.
so for me, this was worth the investment. I've changed lot's of motorcycle tires with this from Harleys to dirtbikes, it is wonderful.
i just wanted to give another option, that for some might work better.

CH200 Tire Changer | No-Mar Tire Changer

Edit: They also have less expensive models than this.

Last edited:
Back