• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Remove spark plug

Cross threading seems to be a major concern. I will be careful.
The Champion plug seems a good choice. (RC8WYPB4) I can guess this would be readily available at the local car-parts store.
I'd be happy to spend more on a spark plug, but I suspect the debate as to which spark plug to use is a little like the debate about which oil to use! Champion will be within spec and adequate.
I want to look at the service manual when I get home and see what it specifies.

Cross threading seems to be a major concern. I will be careful.
The Champion plug seems a good choice. (RC8WYPB4) I can guess this would be readily available at the local car-parts store.
I'd be happy to spend more on a spark plug, but I suspect the debate as to which spark plug to use is a little like the debate about which oil to use! Champion will be within spec and adequate.
I want to look at the service manual when I get home and see what it specifies.

It's all up to the individual to make the bottom line decisions. As with anything, people make up their own justifications to use or not use specified parts, or follow/not follow, whatever procedure they are dealing with.

I'm not a "By the book" ultra picky torque to spec guy, and I don't use new bolts everytime they say to either, but I do always use the OEM oil filters and spark plugs lol, go figure. ;)

Motorcycle plugs are not something readily available at car parts stores always, depending on the Brand and model. I would not assume this.

"they will be within spec and adequate"

Again, I would not assume this myself. You more than likely will need to gap these ones, but OCR will confirm what he had to do I'm sure :)

Last edited:
The Champion plugs do come with a nice gap protector on the plugs, as do the NKG plugs. So, as L.B.S. stated, the likelihood of you having to set the plug gab is quite small. As a matter of fact, I have never had to correct the gap from the factory on any brand of spark plug in years. However I guess I am just old school, as I do check the gap every time. Use only a spark plug wire gauge to check!

ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS use a long extension "spark plug wrench" to install and remove a spark plug.

ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS start the spark plug by hand, NO TOOL PERIOD.

Pain the butt to pull head and helicoil spark plug threats in head.

Have done that a few times for folks who used a tool to start spark plug.

Last edited:
Cross threading seems to be a major concern.
If you can spin it a couple times freely there is no reason for concern. If after a half a turn you feel you need a wrench I'd stop and back it out. I've never had problems installing spark plugs although that is not to say it isn't possible. If it spins easily your good. If it stops almost instantly back it out and try again. Plain and simple.

OK... stuff I have learned... from the last several posts...

1) motorcycle spark plugs are not the same as car spark plugs. That surprised me. I will go down to the Honda dealer, pay a little more, but make sure I get the correct stock item!

2)gapping a spark plug is (not) important?... I'm still not sure about this one, but I don't recall seeing a gap spec. in the service manual.
Makes me wonder if I should buy the correct plug and not worry about it, or agonize about finding the correct gap listed somewhere, and then learning how to measure and adjust the gap.... more reading called for there.

3)there is a thing in the world called a long extension spark plug wrench.... not sure where these come from or if they are the same for car/motorcycle. Makes sense to me that the wrenches would be different for the two vehicles since the spark plugs are too. I'll google this wrench... it's one thing I may have to buy at the car parts store, since it seems unlikely the local Honda dealer would have one.

I was going to have my Motorcycle mechanic remove/replace the spark plugs, but I'm thinking I can do this myself and spend the money I saved on a new chain and sprockets.

You can do it!

Everything I've ever read says the Iridium plugs are gapped the way they're supposed to be. Mainly because the electrode is very easily damaged.

The NC700X spark plug gap should be very easy to find. It is probably in the owners manual, and it it probably right on the emissions label stuck on the motorcycle frame left rear. I'm not sure about the label because I peeled mine off.

Edit to add: owners manual states on pg. 147 "Spark plug gap (non-adjustable) 1.00-1.10mm".

Last edited:
Here is a resume of what the service manual says about the spark plug:

-Always use specified spark plugs on this motorcycle (NGK IFR6G-11K)

-Do not adjust the spark plug gap. If the gap (1.0 mm) is out of specification, replace with a new one.

The Champion plug is $7.17. The Honda plug is around $29.00.
Some things I just don't understand. Not worried about gas mileage, but trying to save the equivalent of $0.25 a tank on a plug others have had significant problems with?????

Plugs may be OK. Please let us know when you have 32,000 miles on them without a problem.

Not trying to be critical but it just seems like a risk to me with the evidence presented here.

How about just inspecting the plugs first? I would have thought that these iridium plugs should be good for 40,000-50,000 miles in this mildly tuned engine. So, if the bike is running just fine and an inspection of the plugs shows no problems, just put them back in until the 48,000 mile check.

How about just inspecting the plugs first? I would have thought that these iridium plugs should be good for 40,000-50,000 miles in this mildly tuned engine. So, if the bike is running just fine and an inspection of the plugs shows no problems, just put them back in until the 48,000 mile check.

Good advice, certainly. Question is... would I be able to tell? Not sure...there.
As it is, I'm having a hard time just finding them to order....

The Service Manual says: NGK IFR6G-11K

The local dealer can order them.... at $30 each! Yikes!

+1 on the anti-seize compound. Only 2 plugs on NC, be glad it isn't a corncob radial :rolleyes:

Anti-seize on the threads...................this could add 40 more posts to this thread :cool: :rolleyes:q

Ok. If your confused ............here is starter on anti seize debate:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212510&highlight=Anti+seize+plugs

On the diesel plugs............glow plugs :p. there a huge debate there too, on anti seize use.......because glow plugs can stick in the head too.........and of course some say the anti seize is the cause........and some manufactures warn against anti seize on glow plugs.

SORRY........Ok back to the NC

Last edited:
i'm kinda stumped now. I hope I don't need new spark plugs any time soon... I can't find any to buy..(laughter)

My dealer got some in this week. I was in today and balked at the $30 price. At 24,000 miles I have a while to save up which what I'll probably do.

ALL my bikes run NGK plugs ONLY !!!.
This comes from my 30+ years of high performance 2 strokes that would foul Champions within minutes but run a NGK for a year or more !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My dealer got some in this week. I was in today and balked at the $30 price. At 24,000 miles I have a while to save up which what I'll probably do.

Price is $21.13 at Procaliber.com. Sorry, that's still way too much. I think Honda is being very conservative about the spark plug change interval. This is from the NGK Web site:
https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/202/how-long-do-iridium-plugs-last

"How Long Do Iridium Plugs Last?
September 30, 2012
A traditional IX iridium plug such as NGK ZFR6FIX-11 has an iridium Center Electrode, however the ground electrode is a traditional nickel construction. Therefore, the ground electrode will wear out first. NGK gives them a life expectancy of 40-50k miles. But they have to temper their projections as driving conditions and motor modifications differ. Typically we have found you can expect 60,000 to 80,000 miles on an unaltered motor.

NGK Laser Iridium plugs have iridium center and a Platinum ground electrodes. If installed in a regular engine, they would likely last longer than most people keep their car (barring any motor problems that can cause premature plug death). All Laser Iridium plugs are an OEM design, made for a specific engine. Some feature a special resistor or electrode design, depending on the OE requirements. In their OE application, NGK's Laser Iridium plugs typically last 80-100k miles."

Back