• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Removing both wheels with only center stand for support?

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Need to get both wheels off for a tire change. I have a good size floor jack and the factory center stand but have no access to a proper motorcycle jack.

Anyone pull both wheels using just the center stand and still have the motorcycle remain upright? ;-)

Not sure where the balance point is and I'm working by myself.

I've read most of the posts about changing tires but was looking for specific info on what happens to the bike when both wheels are off and using only the center stand and something else for support.

Those of you that have BTDT, any tips?

TIA

Last edited:
With the bike on the centerstand I tie off the center-stand with a safety line so I can't accidentally push the bike forward and fold up the stand and drop the bike. The balance point is forward of the stand with both wheels on and with both wheels off. I remove the rear wheel first then block up the front wheel off the ground just a little with a jack under the front of the oil pan. A thin piece of wood protects the aluminum oil pan. After the front wheel is off I put the axle back in place and block up under the axle then take the weight off the jack. It is very stable to leave like this.

I used a cheap diamond jack I pulled out of a small car but a floor jack would work better. Using a jack makes putting the tires back on easy because you can adjust the height to the wheel on the ground.My recommendation is remove the real wheel first and put it back on last, not a big difference but it helps a little for stability and peace of mind. Take your time it's not the most stable but it works it was in a parking lot like that for 40 min and I've had it in my garage with a real floor jack for the weekend without incident
d96b2b47d00f12e3eb4d52a6d8f2ef04.jpg

Last edited:
Did you find removing and placing back the rear wheel easy? I've done the front wheel with no problems but am a little weary of the back wheel because of the break and adjusting nuts etc.. And because I've never done it. Should be interesting :) trying to find videos of someone doing the back wheel of the NC.

Did you find removing and placing back the rear wheel easy? I've done the front wheel with no problems but am a little weary of the back wheel because of the break and adjusting nuts etc.. And because I've never done it. Should be interesting :) trying to find videos of someone doing the back wheel of the NC.

A little more tedious due to having to install axle, chain adjusters, and caliper at the same time. When I remove a wheel, I stack pieces of plywood under the tire until the tire barely touches the wood, then when I re-install the tire, I place the wheel on the plywood and it is usually lined up correctly and don't have to hold the wheel up off the ground while I insert the axle, chain adjusters and caliber-sometimes I have to adjust the tire pressure (up or down) so the axle lines up correctly.

Yeah I was just sitting behind the bike and using the bottoms of my feet my feet like a ramp to roll the tire to the right elevation (think Indian style but loose, I'm sure there is a yoga pose closer to what I'm talking about but don't know) and holding everything and trying to put it together, if your stubborn it works just fine. Every time I did it that way I had something on wrong or not on at all and so I'd have to put the tire on two or three times knowing there are better ways. The diamond jack is the best I've used so far because you raise and lower it by adjust screw it can be adjusted exactly how you want it. The floor jack works good for working on your forks or anything where your just getting the front tire off the ground. I would be worried if I lowered the floor jack (at all) without a front tire (to adjust the rear for tire install) I would be worried about it dropping to much and the whole thing falling on the ground

Back