• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

removing windshield on 2021 NC 750X DCT

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to change out my windshield for a shorty, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the old one off. There are 4 allen head bolts with nylon looking nuts & washers holding the shield onto the brackets. The upper two are no problem but the bottom 2 nuts are buried. Can't get a finger to them, can't even get a needle nose pliars in to them. I know I'm not the most competent mechanic in the world but I can normally change out a windshield (Windjammer, FZ-1, ST 1300, FJR etc)

windshield bracket front left side (Right is same only reversed)
72K50hxh.jpg

upper nut left side
ob1f95xh.jpg

upper nut right side
ShjV0MWh.jpg

lower nut right side (lower nut left is the same)
qhSevZGh.jpg

Can't even touch the bottom nuts from above, below or the side. Any suggestions?

Yep that's it. Mystery solved. There aren't really any " nuts" in the strict sense of the word like I am used to. These get pushed in from the front and when tightened "swell up" from behind, pinching the shield and holding it in place.

Ran up to the shop and talked to the tech that put the shield on and he explained it to me. Even gave me one of the well nuts. Never seen anything like that before.

XLvgHcOh.jpg

Thanks for the illustration revmatch, much appreciated. This has been driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Early model years also used expanding rubber wellnuts behind the shield. There was no need to access the back side.

The wellnut mounting is only adequate for a small shield. Anything bigger, like a Madstad, and you'll want nut plates instead of rubber wellnuts.

nut plates?
Yes. A small flat plate with two captured nuts. Dale Grey made and sold them. I think Honda used them on the touring windscreen 2012-2015. Madstad does or did supply them with their windshield system, too.

Back