• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Repainting or otherwise refinishing wheels?

dragonaut

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2012 NC700X recently developed a slow leak around the bead on the front tire. From looking through threads here, it seems to be a pretty common issue. I located the leak, broke the bead, and sure enough observed corrosion on the rim in the bead seat area. Sandpaper and bead sealer seem to have fixed or at least slowed the leak for now - time will tell - but looking at the condition of my wheel made me start thinking about a full repaint. There are quite a few chips/scratches/paint damage spots from home tire changes, a lowside a few years ago, general age and wear - and I wonder if it's worth considering for a winter project fully dismantling the wheels and taking them to a shop to be stripped or sandblasted and repainted professionally.

Anybody done this with the NC or another bike? Worth it?

I know a few people who have used wheel refinishing service here in SW Florida. The results were excellent, the prices were very reasonable, and they all said the turnaround was quick. One friend had a bent rim after his daughter hit a curb. They were able to straighten it out and remove all the rash. Probably worth it and definitely more economical than replacing. Plus, if you're interested, they can add, change, or match colors.

Back