• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replacing front turn signals with driving lights

I've had riders tuck behind me, even cars when running in the desert on my GL1800...

Between the Hondapottamus's four 55 watt stock lamps, a pair of PIAA 910s under the mirrors (110 watts ea) and a pair of PIAA 1100x pointing to the shoulder I looked like I was coming in for a landing ;-)

And I still hit that dang lion! Maybe your friend is on to something with his probability analysis ;-)

So as far as adding turn signals to the handguards goes... how should I wire them? They're 2 wire, so I can't just wire them up how the existing (3 wire) turn signals are. I'd like them to be normally on and then flash when I use the turn signals. I guess I could run 2 diodes, one from running and one from turn, to a junction and then to the new turn signal.

Any other decent options?

I know there is a mod I have seen on this forum where you buy the clear lenses for the front turn signals and you buy the LED switch back lights which run as clear white lights when running as running lamps, but flash yellow when turning. You do need the resistor for this. Not sure how much additional light you get with these, but it looks pretty slick. Probably not what you are looking for, but thought I would mention it.

I know there is a mod I have seen on this forum where you buy the clear lenses for the front turn signals and you buy the LED switch back lights which run as clear white lights when running as running lamps, but flash yellow when turning. You do need the resistor for this. Not sure how much additional light you get with these, but it looks pretty slick. Probably not what you are looking for, but thought I would mention it.

Maybe you’re talking about this mod?: Switchback LED front turn signals

No resistors needed, just an LED compatible flasher.

Thanks 670cc, yes it is that flasher module, not a resistor. Thanks for posting the link. Not sure if that is what the OP had in mind, but that is pretty cool repurposing the running lights in this way.

I am about to fit LED lights onto the crash bars on my NC750S and thought I'd power them from a position light but there doesn't seem be the common 5W lamp in the main light reflector. I haven't looked inside the headlight unit yet so hope there is some sort of light where the source isn't evident. Advice, please?

So as far as adding turn signals to the handguards goes... how should I wire them? They're 2 wire, so I can't just wire them up how the existing (3 wire) turn signals are. I'd like them to be normally on and then flash when I use the turn signals. I guess I could run 2 diodes, one from running and one from turn, to a junction and then to the new turn signal.

Any other decent options?

I added the LED to my Kobra handguards, they were 2-wire which meant either connect to indicator wire and use them just for signaling, or connect to running light wire and have them as DRLs. I chose to get a 2 to 3 wire diode kit. Connect the 2 wire side to the new LED inserts, connect the 3 wire side to the neutral, indicator and DRL wires all located in the existing indicator units. Now the inserts mimic the stock lights, DRL + indicators. As you're already in there doing the wiring it was an extra couple minutes and an extra Posi-Lock on each side. Gives a nice high & wide light points for being seen!!

Daytime running Lights

Daytime running Lights

Thanks. I bet those kits are exactly what I was planning on doing, just pre-done.

Back