• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Return to the Land of the Dragon...again....2017

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

KSL 8 sign up - Google Sheets

A bunch of you guys seemed to enjoy this in 2016...so I say lets do it again!!!

KSL 8 will occur the weekend before the Memorial weekend, May 18-21. On those dates, motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding. I put together some T shirts last year, but don't plan on doing it this year. If someone wants to take on that task...I'll send you the image from last year. Someone suggested stickers instead to T shirts...I might look into that.

Basics...
  • We stay at the Kickstand Lodge on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground. Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tent sites for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens.
  • Bring your own tent.
  • She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer and dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
  • Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental ($2). Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does. Don't cheat the house. Everything is on the honor system. Bring cash...I don't think they take cards.
  • Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
  • The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Hwy. 28 over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun. If you want to ride the Dragon, I suggest arriving early and doing it Thursday or Friday morning before it fills up with squids and other fools. Tennessee LEOs patrol the road.
  • 28 (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
  • The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
    • There are a lot of good roads down in North Georgia.
    • There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
    • Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.

The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...last year some of us got drenched and others saw nothing but sunshine.

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guy's bike.

I hope some of you join us. I'll post more information later. Feel free to ask any question.

I'll eventually get around to a sign up page so I can let Mo know how many we've got coming.

If this post looks familiar....its the same one from last year that I cut and pasted. I'm a lazy cuss with only one working arm at the time of this posting.

Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground

Comments from last year.

What I Learned at KSL 7.

Last edited:
Thanks, drdubb!

It's on my calendar already. Arrival no later than Wednesday evening. I'm hoping to have a more gravel-worthy NC setup this time, so I can do those gravel roads I keep saying I'll do but haven't. Maybe then I can almost keep up with DCTFAN's Africa Twin.

My favorite part of your description: "The plan is no plan."

Better warn Mo!

Last edited:
In that case,
gonna have to take my Shinko's off
and get a new pair of knobby's put on.motoz_adv-rear.jpg
:)

Thanks, drdubb!

It's on my calendar already. Arrival no later than Wednesday evening. I'm hoping to have a more gravel-worthy NC setup this time, so I can do those gravel roads I keep saying I'll do but haven't. Maybe then I can almost keep up with DCTFAN's Africa Twin.

My favorite part of your description: "The plan is no plan."

Better warn Mo!

In that case,
gonna have to take my Shinko's off
and get a new pair of knobby's put on.View attachment 32115
:)

If you've up'd the ante to knobbies, then I'll just have to bring my dirt bike instead.

Keep your Shinkos on so I'll at least stand a chance.

It's Shoals Creek, I found while exploring in NGA.
I was so glad to be rewarded by a creek crossing that day,
I ended up giving my NC a good soaking; actually almost drowned her.

Wouldn't start and my son came to rescue us on his DRZ400SM- :mad:
Had to send him back and get my Sprinter (rescue van)
When I nursed her back home, she puked up what looked like milk from her
plugs. Drained all the milk and gave her fresh oil and she was back.

Yes, I said gravel. Why are you posting a photo of a pond? If that's where we're going, I'll bring my boat.

I REALLY want to do this and meet some of you guys. Would be my longest trip (500+ miles one way) on this scoot. I have street tires (Conti Motions), so would be limited to hardtop and firm dirt.
Question - is this a significant other friendly event? She is bike and camping friendly, but I might be happier solo and free of schedule pressure (I have more time off).
Write me in! Jim

Last edited:
Jimbo....come on up. I'm a Raleigh rider and been going up there for 8 years now. Still riding new roads. I get down your way sometime. Have a mobil home in Cedar Point and like to ride up to Bill's in little Washington for a hotdog from time to time. Caging down tomorrow to see if any pipes froze this winter.

I am interested in this event also. I have ridden the area for several years with another group. I have just put new Pilot Road 4 on the front of my DCT and will in the next month or so put a new one on the rear. I would like to have a extra set of rims to put more of an off-road tire on, but until I do I will stick with the Michelin PR4s. Hopefully, if the weather is right, I can traverse of the hard dirt/gravel roads. Are they some of these roads in the area that we could ride?

Spouses are fine. Its a pretty melliw bunch. Your call. I assume you are talking about 2 up. If you've not ridden up here before....some of the technical roads can be tricky.

I run PR4's. Some of the gravel is fine on street tires if its dry.

Thanks DRD. She will not like it if I leave on Mem Day weekend, but I cannot ride the fun stuff as well two-up. Plus, she would have a right to whine, riding that back seat for 500 miles.
Good weekend for Emerald Isle! Jimbo

Not sure what you mean there, but the event is held the weekend before the Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited:
The boys will have to put in for the time off but neither expects problems.

Our plan, like last year, is to trailer up on Wednesday and leave Sunday morning.

So add 3.

Back