• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

[REVIEW] Scorpion Covert X Solid Modular Helmet

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site

Shopping Now? We Recommend:​

webBikeWorld works closely with Revzilla and Amazon to provide our testers with quality products to review. While we have an affiliate relationship and receive a commission from items purchased, this addition comes at no additional cost to you. It is the primary way we pay for our site and reviewers.

RevZilla​

Free shipping on orders over $40
30-day no-nonsense return policy
Excellent selection of all major brands
Awesome pricing

Buy This Helmet on RevZilla

Amazon​

Free shipping (with Amazon Prime)
30-day return policy
Excellent selection
Competitive pricing

Buy This Helmet on Amazon

Introduction

The Scorpion Covert X just looks killer in its full configuration. I received it in gloss Cement Grey, which judging from the trend I see in the automotive world, is a totally on-point color choice. I am not entirely sure how I feel about the lego-like nature of the 3 in 1 design, but it seems to be growing on me as I roll it around in my hands and play with the lower chin piece, taking it on and off.

The Covert X is, as my gamer kids like to tell me, a “level up” from prior Covert versions with improvements to all parts of this lid. Read along and I will examine this modular helmet more deeply and get it on my head for some seat time.

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey - Front view visor down

Scorpion Covert X Solid Features​

A Feature-packed Helmet: 95%

The Scorpion Covert lineup is known for its 3 in 1 design, which when examining the greater melon protection offerings is a unique approach. Being able to choose between 3 distinct riding configurations: Full Mode, 3/4 Mode, and 1/2 Mode is different, and to be honest, I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it. I will cover this aspect later on in this writing.

The Covert X is made from Scorpions TCT-Ultra® process. The multi-layered shell combines fiberglass, aramid, and poly-resin fibers which minimize weight while maximizing strength and impact dispersal. Lining this shell is an expanded polystyrene foam core with well-designed channels for smooth airflow. To give comfort and softness the final layer is Scorpion’s newest washable KwikWick® III interior.

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey - Glamour Shot

Pre-installed is a Dark smoke EverClear® anti-fog sun shield, it is anti-scratch coated and offers 95% UV-A & UV-B protection. Included in the box is also a clear EverClear® anti-fog and anti-scratch coated face shield, a nice bonus and easily swapped on the Covert X.

When running in the ¾ configuration, simple little pockets are provided for the mounting of 40mm speakers from a BT communication system. Scorpion was very smart and included padded sleeves to fit over the straps in the ½ helmet configuration. They serve as both cold weather ear protection, and a home for the speakers when you have removed the chin and neck collar attachments. Smart thinking Scorpion.

From the design of this helmet, it is obviously not going to be the best in any one configuration when compared to a lid dedicated to that task (example: full face vs full face), yet Scorpion always seems to try and give customers more than expected. Many half and ¾ style helmets have no built-in air channels, yet the Covert X thoughtfully provides them.

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Matte Black - Showing all 3 configurations

• Multi-layered TCT-Ultra® shell combines fiberglass, aramid, and poly-resin fibers which minimize weight while maximizing strength and impact dispersal
  • Advanced multi-layer EPS provides superior energy absorption and channels for increased airflow
  • Unique multi-configuration design featuring removable front mask and rear comfort sleeve results in 3 distinct riding configurations: Full Mode, 3/4 Mode, and 1/2 Mode
  • Subtly integrated forehead vent intakes
  • Dark smoke EverClear® anti-fog sun shield installed. Anti-scratch coated and offers 95% UV-A & UV-B protection
  • FREE Clear EverClear® anti-fog and anti-scratch coated face shield included
  • Removable/washable KwikWick® III interior keeps you cool, dry, and comfortable
  • Included cold weather ear covers with integrated speaker pockets to accommodate BlueTooth® communication system speakers (when used in 1/2 helmet Mode)
  • Block-off plates included for use in 3/4 Mode
  • Optional Mask styles available (sold separately)
  • DOT FMVSS No. 218 Certified
  • 5 Year Warranty

Scorpion Covert X Solid Construction​

Scorpion Covert X Solid - Exploded view

Quality And Esthetics: 90%

On my scale, the full face configuration weighs 3.5 lbs, not too bad for an XL-sized fiberglass helmet especially considering all the additional parts needed to make the modular components secure together.

From a materials standpoint, there is zero to complain about. The shell is very well finished, the EPS core has nice channels and a good form. I am a fan of this KwikWick® III liner material, I love how soft it feels and it seems to hold up very well against my rough beard through repeated wearings.

My main concern prior to receiving this helmet was how well would the parts hold together. I am happy to report that Scorpion has engineered an excellent system for swapping each of the 3 configurations. The neck roll piece is fitted with generous padding matching the KwikWick® liner, but the fitment to the half helmet is very secure with clean seams all around. Attaching the chin bar is quite literally a snap, and I was very impressed to find a gasket for the visor on the top edge.

With all parts connected the Covert X retains a solid overall feel, even shaking the helmet by the chin bar revealed no looseness at all. I was impressed.

Scorpion Covert X Solid Fit & Comfort​

Scorpion Covert X Solid - KwickWick III liner

Sizing And General Comfort: 90%

The Covert X Solid is an intermediate oval helmet, I found the sizing chart to be accurate. I have a 23.75” head, and I ordered the XL, the fit for me was spot on with no pressure points and a great fit around the cheeks and temples.

The main shell or ½ helmet portion holds the largest KwikWick® liner piece, and this material is quite soft with padding that felt great during longer rides. The air channels do a great job preventing an overly hot head and any sweat build-up seemed to dry quite quickly.

Adding on the lower neck portion turning the Covert X into its ¾ configuration adds on more soft padding with the neck roll and ear sections. It was a simple matter to add in the UClear Pulse Pro 2.0 speakers thanks to the soft mesh pockets provided. The clearance was enough that no pressure was created with the speakers installed.

The chin bar is simple to add on and completes the full-face mode. Labeled as not being rated for crash protection the bar still has a solid feel to it. I debated for a bit if I was bothered by the lack of a vent adjustment for the chin bar vents, but really it’s a nonissue. The open nature of the lower area of the chin bar would render any vent closure useless, and this helmet isn’t meant to be as quiet or cold weather capable as a standard full-face lid.

The final thoughtful inclusion from Scorpion is the cold weather ear covers with integrated speaker pockets. They slide over the left and right portion of the chin strap and do a decent job protecting the ears in the ½ helmet mode. The speaker pockets are the same size as the ones in the ¾ section making it a simple matter to fit the speakers from the UClear system.

webBikeWorld works closely with Revzilla and Amazon to provide our testers with quality products to review. While we have an affiliate relationship and receive a commission from items purchased, this addition comes at no additional cost to you. It is the primary way we pay for our site and reviewers.

RevZilla​

Awesome pricing

Amazon​

30-day return policy
Excellent selection
Competitive pricing

Scorpion Covert X Solid Visor & Visibility​

Scorpion Covert X Solid - Visor action
Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey -In 3/4 mode

Great Optics And A Nice Field Of View: 95%

Scorpion pre installs the Dark Smoke EverClear® visor, and in the box included a clear version which was straightforward to swap.

The Covert X has a wide visor opening creating a fantastic field of view. My peripheral vision was not disrupted from the edges of the visor opening. With the basic part of the helmet being a ½ helmet design, the open site lines are a given, and the addition of the ¾ section was cleverly designed by Scorpion to maintain the badass helmet look and not intrude or close down the vision area.

The EverClear® visors have good optics and are distortion-free from edge to edge. Bug strikes and fingerprints are cleaned easily and so far the Anti-Scratch coating is doing a great job, things still look perfect.

The final visor item to note is discovered when using the Covert X with the chin bar mounted. The visor slides smoothly down and Scorpion provides a detent to hold the visor with a slight “city mode” air gap of about 1 cm. One step further for full closure of the visor which then seals against a gasket to help keep moisture out.

Scorpion Covert X Solid Ventilation And Noise​

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey -Front View

Open Design Means Great Airflow Plus Temple Vents: 90%

Not Meant To Block The Noise: 75%

The EPS core has channeling to keep air moving over the rider’s head. The air intakes above the temples do a nice job flowing air through, and I rarely had any discomfort or substantial sweat build-up in and of the 3 helmet modes.

With the chin-bar attached, the mouth vents are quite open along with the entire lower jaw area, this helmet is not meant for a chin curtain or a really substantial tight neck roll. The aerodynamics worked well for open-air riding with no annoying changes to the airflow when turning my head side to side. The only time I found it a problem was when behind a small windscreen, like the style on my SuperDuke GT.

I experience an increase in turbulence at my chest level off the small windscreen, and I know many riders of adventure bikes, and even cruisers with small add-on windscreens experience this same issue. The open nature of the lower section of the Covert X catches that turbulent air and makes for a noisy and uncomfortable ride. This is no fault of the helmet but should be a factor to consider depending on what you ride.

Verdict​

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey - #/4 mode with side plugs installed

I was pleasantly surprised by the Covert X. I am a fan of the Scorpion fit on my head. The sizing is accurate and I find the fit very comfortable on my large, but still oval head. I have never been a rider that gravitated to the ¾ helmet look, I tend to prefer full-face or ½ helmets. Saying such, I would think that makes the Covert X very compelling just on its design and features.

In the ½ helmet mode, it looks okay. Not my favorite looking style but that is very subjective naturally. The Cement Grey color is also very subjective, I happen to love it, but gloss and matte black are available.

The real win for me is in full-face configuration. This is just a killer-looking helmet. I had lots of praise when riding with it, and the combat style just works when riding a cruiser, cafe, or scrambler style, it would even pump your street cred when riding a moped.

The construction of this helmet is above average in quality, with all parts fitting together very well. Everything feels solid and I had no issues at all during my rides with the Covert X.

Priced at just $300 and with many custom lower face mask options and visor choices from Scorpion available, this helmet is worth looking at.

Priced on Revzilla at $299.95, go check it out.

Pros​

• Multi-layered TCT-Ultra® shell
  • Advanced EPS interior protection
  • Comm-Ready speaker pockets
  • 3 in 1 adaptability – 3 unique looks
  • FMVSS 218 DOT certified
  • Dark Smoke SpeedView® Anti-Fog SunVisor Preinstalled
  • Clear SpeedView® Sun Visor included
  • BlueTooth® speaker pockets
  • 5-Year Warranty

Cons​

• No air vent flow regulation
  • Somewhat plain looks in 1/2 helmet configuration
  • I am not a fan of Double D ring straps, give me my ratcheting quick release!

Specs​

• Manufacturer: Scorpion USA
  • Price (When Tested): $299.95
  • Alternative models & colors: Cement Grey, Gloss Black, Matte Black
  • Sizes: SM to 2XL
  • Review Date: August 2021

Important Links / Where to Buy​

RevZilla​

Awesome pricing

Amazon​

30-day return policy
Excellent selection
Competitive pricing

Scorpion Covert X Solid Photo Gallery​

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Matte Black - Showing all 3 configurations

Scorpion Covert X Solid - KwickWick III liner
Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey - Glamour Shot

Scorpion Covert X Solid - Exploded view
Scorpion Covert X Solid - Visor action

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey - #/4 mode with side plugs installed

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey -In 3/4 mode

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey -Front View

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey - Full Face

Scorpion Covert X Solid - In Cement Grey - Front view visor down

The post [REVIEW] Scorpion Covert X Solid Modular Helmet appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

Back