• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Revzilla review of 2021 NC750

I don't usually take the time to watch 30 minute reviews about a bike that I have a fair understanding of. I think the review for the vast majority was very fair. How would someone describe it to a person that had never ridden one or was curious? The only part I felt was a bit suspect was the comparison at the end. This is subjective and open to interpretation. One reviewers opinion but that is the job. I don't think the NC was treated unfairly...but that is just one viewers opinion :)
If the review was fair does that mean we have to stop sharpening our pitchforks and lighting the torches?? :(

The NC is definitely not for everyone. Most reviews are lukewarm at best. I came to my NC(S) cos I was I was attracted by the frunk, DCT and the economy. I still like it a lot but being a big fella, I just wish it had 75hp instead of 55hp. I will probably end up trading it for a NT if I can get past the awful looks.

Last edited:
I've found the NC750X to have enough power for solo riding. With the DCT it is so easy to downshift and accelerate at wide open throttle.

1. Got a ‘22 DCT very recently. Love it. Great for going about and doing most things, including hard-packed sandy roads, fire-roads such as they are in NJ, and riding around for errands, and the frunk and the two factory side bags I got are great. For me, if I wanted something that sat between a Goldwing and an Africa Twin then this is it; or, a Subaru in car form.
2. I like to read and watch Zack’s review, though I do wish here he mirrored the vid more in which he spoke more highly of it . . . Also, Zack and others keep talking about how it would great to get more people into motorcycling . . . And I agree . . . So then why not highlight this!?
3. Finally, I do wish everyone would stop calling this an automatic simply one does not have to shift. This is not a slush box auto or a CVT. DCT is so much different! They should just call it clutchless or something . . . Calling it an auto sells it short; but perhaps is aimed at trying to get more people into riding . . . Regardless, I like it.

3. Finally, I do wish everyone would stop calling this an automatic simply one does not have to shift. This is not a slush box auto or a CVT. DCT is so much different! They should just call it clutchless or something . . . Calling it an auto sells it short; but perhaps is aimed at trying to get more people into riding . . . Regardless, I like it.
Honda regularly calls their motorcycle DCT an automatic transmission. They design, build, and market the bike, so I’d say they get to call it an automatic if they want to. If Honda calls it an automatic, most people will probably also do so.

My car has an automatic transmission. It happens to be a DCT. It has some advantages and disadvantages over other automatic types, but it’s still an automatic transmission.

Honda regularly calls their motorcycle DCT an automatic transmission. They design, build, and market the bike, so I’d say they get to call it an automatic if they want to. If Honda calls it an automatic, most people will probably also do so.

My car has an automatic transmission. It happens to be a DCT. It has some advantages and disadvantages over other automatic types, but it’s still an automatic transmission.
Touché and fair enough. For me, if it was a slush box or a CVT, I would have stuck w/ the manual. Perhaps this is only my pet peeve:)

According to Honda, the motorcycle DCT was built to allow you to experience: “Jinba-Ittai, the synchronization of harmony between a rider and a motorcycle that gives you an out of body experience."

According to Honda, the motorcycle DCT was built to allow you to experience: “Jinba-Ittai, the synchronization of harmony between a rider and a motorcycle that gives you an out of body experience."
Interesting. I’m familiar w/ Jinba-Ittai through the Miatas I own (a ‘90 and a ‘14) because Mazda in their recent design scheme also highlighted that philosophy. Didn’t know that other manufacturers were also using that phrase. Neat!

I ride my 2015 DCT in manual mode 99% of the time -- I like the "clutchless shifting" and only use the Drive or Sport modes for the rare times I'm in heavy traffic. In the US, I do wonder why Honda wouldn't adjust their marketing -- hell, even BMW offers "shift assist pro" on the GS and RT which is also "clutchless shifting" although not DCT.

I even added the foot shifter to mine (a european and asian option not offered in the US -- again, another odd choice by Honda).

I even added the foot shifter to mine (a european and asian option not offered in the US -- again, another odd choice by Honda).
How do you like it? I’ve been thinking about it as I contemplate getting an Africa Twin AS ES with the DCT also…seems like there are pros and cons.

It's fine -- i got a good price out of Japan so I thought it would be nice to have a "real" shifter. The paddles are probably easier, but sometimes keeping a good grip on the left hand is needed so it's good to have the foot shifter. It was an easy install on my 2015.

yeah -- the only "con" is that it's sort of an unnecessary addition. But if we start judging farkles by that metric we're all doomed.;)

NC is decent for what it is-a good light all around bike. If you bought it wanting a super bike, a heavy tourer, or an off road bike then you made a mistake. It’s not the bike’s fault, it’s your expectation that was flawed. As a general, hop and and ride wherever you want to go, the NC is a great bike. It’s nimble, comfortable enough to tour on if you want and very easy to ride anywhere. It is certainly not “the best” at anything, BUT it’s pretty darn good at most everything. That, I think, is it’s appeal. I’m not a “biker” never have been, don’t intend to be. I’m a motorcyclist. I simply don’t care what the “cool kids” think, nor am I worried about impressing the road pirates. I ride because I enjoy it, period. I enjoy the NC (as I’ve enjoyed every bike I’ve ever ridden).

Tell me, is the transmission capable of AUTOMATICally changing the gearing, or does every gear change have to be done MANUALly? :p
Even when the shifts are called for by user input, the transmission AUTOMATICally disengages/engages the clutches and shifts the gearing in response to the button press.
Bear in mind even conventional automatics need the driver to "manually" select P, R, N, or D and most of them also allow for "manual" selection of the gear ratio (tap-shift, etc).
A CVT is drastically different than a torque converter (conventional) automatic too, yet they are both categorized as "automatic".
Out of all the auto options, a DCT is the closest to a traditional manual gearbox, but is still computer controlled (even if user-selectable gearing exists, the transmission is not directly user controlled) therefore fits into the broader category of automatic.

(Just busting your balls for the fun of it ;) )

In that case, the synchro in my miata’s tranny is automatic:) But seriously, I appreciate the humor and thanks:)

In that case, the synchro in my miata’s tranny is automatic:) But seriously, I appreciate the humor and thanks:)
Oh, there's certainly a fuzzy line between auto and manual. If I was to ever choose an "automatic" transmission, you can be sure I'd select a DCT over any of the other flavours since it's basically a manual with a mind of it's own.
I fully agree calling a DCT an "automatic" is ignoring the finer points that make it (what I consider to be) a superior transmission when compared to all other current forms of "auto" boxes (but still inferior to manual. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist). Back when there were only two options, the hard line between "standard" and "atuo" made sense, but those days are long gone with the common use of CVT and DCT in vehicles now.
I'm almost surprised any new vehicle would be designed with a conventional automatic, at least for passenger vehicles. The torque multiplication of the converter may have benefits for larger vehicles, but for Karen taking her kid to soccer practice, a CVT or DCT is likely to perform better, even if she wants a car that looks like an SUV. (Special mention: If it does not have leaf springs on the back and a body-on-frame construction, it is a car.)
Bear in mind too that the different gear ratios in a conventional automatic come from planetary gear sets that are (computer controlled) clutch operated.
My personal opinion is that the "line," if I had to draw it, between "man" and "auto" is whether there's a user-operated clutch or not, but I know some people who swear that their (conventional torque converter) automatic is actually a manual since it has paddle shifters.

I got ya and totally agree @TheIronWarrior including on where I draw the line and I would draw it there as well. The clutch pedal/lever is different than any other computer activated clutch, whether on DCT, CVT, etc.. I was speaking to more of a market aspect.

As most of us already know the NC series do not get great write ups by the industry. It just isn't there cup of tea. As far as the term DCT and Auto being used by anyone who does not understand how this system works is a disservice to all. Honda had CB750, CB400, CB450 Autos(there term) in the late 70s and early 80s they had a torque converter instead of a clutch and the rider was req. to shift from neutral to 1st then to 2nd. They were called autos when indeed all they did was eliminate the clutch operation. Dual Clutch Transmissions have many meanings, they began by replacing a single clutch(12in) with 2 clutches(6in). This was done to lower flywheel effect but still retain the surface area needed for the power available. This seamless DCT Honda is using goes beyond all that. It eliminates the clutch action needed by the rider and also the shifting or allows a rider to manually shift. As many of you riders have been doing for years before "rev matching" came around we got pretty good at shifting with or without the clutch. Something we will never be equal to is what the computer is doing with the seamless disengage,engagement with the transmission. Only a system like this will allow 2 gears to be engaged at the same time, Orient Express did this years ago with there drag race trans that didn't take the trans out of 1st before selecting 2nd they left it in 1st and when 2nd was selected the heavily modified gears disengaged 1st without destroying the trans. When I jumped to buy this new bike in July 2012 I knew first year models are prone to passing on development to the consumer and would not take that chance with the DCT. Everything else did.

What I didn't like about the review was that it was 90% about the DCT. It's like, dude, it also comes in manual. don't say it's a review of the NC750X when it's really just a review of Honda's DCT.

Back