• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ride to Two Wheels of Suches for Italian Motorcycle Days

being able to sit things down in it, rather than bending down and messing with stuffing things in the side cases.

I thought I saw side cases also on your bike in another pic, which continues the black/silver balanced look.
Agreed the top case adds easier use. Always load heaver items in the side bags regarding CG.

Honda would not sell the ST1300 accessory top case in the US because of liability issues; but were available through a European retailer.
At high speeds the ST was unstable w/a top case. There were few serious accidents involving motor cops if memory is correct.
My 2010 F800ST had accessory expandable hard bags and installed the smaller silver accessory soft top bag.
My 2004 ST13A had a soft RKA top bag mounted on an expanded tail rack/backrest.
Remember, a hard top case WILL change the ride character.

Attachments

• C6FF25E5-D5FC-4A8C-AA98-0FE29AEBBDAE.jpeg
    C6FF25E5-D5FC-4A8C-AA98-0FE29AEBBDAE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • EEBC2BBB-061D-4A38-9C3C-A55FC8DD2833.jpeg
    EEBC2BBB-061D-4A38-9C3C-A55FC8DD2833.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
What you say about top boxes and the geometry and handling of the bike possibly being affected is, generally speaking, accurate. It’s a documented issue with some bikes and scooters on other forums.
However, for anyone considering the OE top box on the Honda NC, it’s worth having some testimonials as to whether this has been a problem in the past.
So, here’s mine: I’ve had the Honda top box on mine since shortly after buying the bike new and over the course of thousands of miles, loaded, empty, all manner of roads, and speeds approaching 100mph (indicated), I’ve never experienced any handling issues, wobble, vibration, etc. that is sometimes attributed to a top box. Hope that helps. Also hope that’s consistent with other owners experience. If you’re considering the OE box, no worries.
And as JD states, it’s just so darn convenient. Especially when you put the bike up on the center stand. It’s all nice and level, easy to pack, and your stuff is secure.
Toss on the side boxes for the longer trips and those in addition to the frunk will take you anywhere.

I put an inquiry in on the ST1300 owners forum to jog my memory that this happened in the 2000s' on European roads at higher speeds.
But generally speaking because of the high/long distance from CG the front of the bike is lighter, especially w/loaded top case.
Ergonomic numbers vary bike to bike. The ST13 had very light bar feel for a 740 pound (336 kilos) bike. That bike is smooth, fast and stable.........for me and soft top box.

Last edited:
I’ve had the Honda top box on mine since shortly after buying the bike new and over the course of thousands of miles, loaded, empty, all manner of roads, and speeds approaching 100mph (indicated), I’ve never experienced any handling issues, wobble, vibration, etc. that is sometimes attributed to a top box.
Likewise. Been up to 90-100 a number of times with mine, with varying loads in it, coming through double-trailer semi wakes yet. Just not an issue. In fact I can't really tell it's on there no matter what I'm doing. Alarmism anybody?

Yep no issues with my top box either. And I hauled some major arse over the weekend following my buddy home on his Multistrada. 80mph sweeping curves, 90-95 straight runs trying to catch up with him, etc. He is the fastest guy I have ever ridden with on the street...lol. Nonetheless, I don't even notice the top box is back there.

The NC700X shares none of the stability issues of the ST1300. In nearly 70,000 miles on an NC it never wobbled or weaved in a manner worthy of comment either when heavily laden on a trip with top box, saddlebags, and luggage plate or day riding devoid of luggage altogether. For when I wasn't on a trip or tour, at least 50% of the time I had a top box on it for storing helmet, gloves, etc while leaving the frunk available for a tire pump/repair kit and the man purse I usually carry from bike to bike. My favorite top box was a smaller 33 liter case, but at times I used 36 or 42 liter cases for the top box.

Common sense rules. No loading of bricks, iron pipe fittings, or bags of Quikrete in a top box.

The NC700X shares none of the stability issues of the ST1300. In nearly 70,000 miles on an NC it never wobbled or weaved in a manner worthy of comment either when heavily laden on a trip with top box, saddlebags, and luggage plate or day riding devoid of luggage altogether. For when I wasn't on a trip or tour, at least 50% of the time I had a top box on it for storing helmet, gloves, etc while leaving the frunk available for a tire pump/repair kit and the man purse I usually carry from bike to bike. My favorite top box was a smaller 33 liter case, but at times I used 36 or 42 liter cases for the top box.

Common sense rules. No loading of bricks, iron pipe fittings, or bags of Quikrete in a top box.

Or big women in between rider and top box! LOL

I was going to put an anvil in mine but there wasn't room for the hammer and tongs which threatened to scratch my helmet visor.

The NC DCT IMO is the best value/design/reliable 2 wheels on the road today.
The reason one should never overload a top case is the added moment arm location compounds the weight exerted on the mounts w/failure more likely.

A tortoise will never beat a hare but will always get to the finish line............whereas the hare eventually will have issues.
..........its' a matter of when. High performance comes w/a price.

The NC DCT IMO is the best value/design/reliable 2 wheels on the road today.
The reason one should never overload a top case is the added moment arm location compounds the weight exerted on the mounts w/failure more likely.

A tortoise will never beat a hare but will always get to the finish line............whereas the hare eventually will have issues.
..........its' a matter of when. High performance comes w/a price.

I respectfully disagree with that last part. Most any of the big 4 Japanese brand sportbikes are just as reliable as anything Honda ever made. It's how some are driven that is detrimental to longevity. On that same note, I could keep riding my other NC at the racetrack and blow it up in a couple years, who knows. Or it might last forever. One thing is for sure, I beat the guts out of it at the track, it's either wide open throttle or on the brakes, no in between. This is sure to shorten its lifespan.

Most sportbikes are super reliable with little to no problems, and extreme high performance. Where problems come in is when Joe Blow doesn't change his oil, ever, and enjoys bouncing it off the rev limiter at red lights like a moron.......or being ridden on racetracks. Sportbikes STAY in high rpm's on track, it is a harsh environment for an engine to be beat on like that, constantly redlining each gear on the way up and then again on downshifts going into turns. So take someone that is a responsible weekend warrior on a brand new CBR600RR, it might last them 100k miles virtually problem free. Take that same bike and bring it to the track every other weekend and it will likely not last but a fraction of those miles before catastrophic failure. There again, I see track bikes that have only been ridden at the track for sale all the time with 20-30k miles on them, 10-15 yr old bikes, still on oem engine and runs good.

High performance doesn't always come at the cost of reliability.....unless you are talking about Ducati's....LOL

Tend to agree with what TJD said. One of my neighbors has Hayabusa with over 120k problem free miles. He is in his 50's and does not abuse the bike.

Back