• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue

I think you nailed it, Dave. Honda currently uses the term "combined ABS." Some people, perhaps including this author, may be stretching that term to mean "linked brakes", which is not the same thing. Again, I'm working only from the discussion in this thread, as I don't have access to the Rider article.

What annoys me is the misinformation spread by authors, salesmen, etc, is probably absorbed uncontested by most consumers. They say, "Sounds great; I'll buy it!"

Edit to add:
Here is the Honda Powersports web site language used to describe the brakes on the 2018 NC750X. Honda uses the words combined and linked, so now it's clear as mud.

"Disc Brakes with Available Combined ABS

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC750X great stopping power. The DCT model comes with ABS brakes that are linked rear-to-front for added stopping power, even under challenging conditions."

Last edited:
I think you nailed it, Dave. Honda currently uses the term "combined ABS." Some people, perhaps including this author, may be stretching that term to mean "linked brakes", which is not the same thing. Again, I'm working only from the discussion in this thread, as I don't have access to the Rider article.

What annoys me is the misinformation spread by authors, salesmen, etc, is probably absorbed uncontested by most consumers. They say, "Sounds great, I'll buy it!"

Edit to add:
Here is the Honda Powersports web site language used to describe the brakes on the 2018 NC750X. Honda uses the words combined and linked, so now it's clear as mud.

"Disc Brakes with Available Combined ABS

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC750X great stopping power. The DCT model comes with ABS brakes that are linked rear-to-front for added stopping power, even under challenging conditions."
Don't be so hard on them, it's the world we live in. My personal 'it's just wrong' NC favorite is the "half of a Jazz [Fit] engine" description that pops up all the time. Uttered as a joke, by a probably brilliant engineer and probably equally nervous public speaker, at that 2011 press launch in a room full of international journalists the description is far from true yet is endlessly repeated.

But if the mentioned article states that the US model manual transmission test bike has linked or combined brakes, that is clearly a false statement.
No, they never insinuated that.
It doesn't help that Honda's own website is confusing us.

I think Dave is right- that they are probably just reusing old info.

Jenny Smith does a cover article on the 2018 NC750X. No link available for the article just yet.

Edit.

The first line of the article reads, "I'm just going to come right out and say it: Honda's NC750X is the best commuter bike out there right now."

The last line is: "And it looks good doing it."

This is exactly what I tried to tell a salesman at a dealer a few months ago.
Honda came out with that for beginning or returning riders line, and they have been stuck on it ever since.

If you want to ride more, get a bike that you can run errands on, and that is comfortable in traffic.

I think I’m done forever done with motorcycle publications. I’ve just read the Motorcycle Consumer News (US version) review of the Kawasaki Versys-X 300. The authors clearly are incapable of reviewing the motorcycle as it applies to it’s intended audience and purpose. When I got to the line that said, “One tester pondered if the engine was a joke.”, I pondered if the article was a joke! The tester’s comment stated, “Normally, I’m rubbing my shoulders from having my arms jerked by the latest Kawasaki Rocket . . .”, so that tells you the point of reference these authors have. The article made numerous references like meager engine output, outgrow this bike quickly, dismal power, torque, and woefully underpowered. Do they realize it is a 296cc engine, and that 34 hp for such an engine is quite respectable? Do they realize there is a large audience for a bike of this size, and many are seasoned riders, not all beginners? These horsepower crazed guys should never have been assigned to this review, and the magazine editor should never have allowed it to print.

I once had great respect for MCN and their down to earth, relevant, unbiased reviews. It’s very clear now that the MCN I once admired no longer exists today.

Last edited:
"It’s very clear now that the MCN I once admired no longer exists today. "

Totally agree 670cc. About a year ago(maybe a little longer)MCN almost went out of print due to staff changes and other things. When the new staff put out their 1st issue, the biggest thing between the covers was a comparison test of sunglasses. I was really disgruntled and almost didn't renew, but I did for another year to see what would happen. Well, the entire magazine has undergone change and not for the better. I won't be renewing after this subscription expires. That will leave me with only Rider, RoadRunner, and American Motorcyclist to find their way to my mailbox.

It's a shame that ALL vehicle magazines are like that. Doing tests on super cars, superbikes- whatever is state of the art. And their readers eat that crap up.

They need to have reviews written by the intended user. Especially with motorcycles.

The goal should be to get more people riding and you won't get that by trying to sell people a $25,000 bike that we can't even afford to insure.
I won't renew my subscriptions to Cycleworld or Motorcyclist. It's one thing to do what they are doing, which seems like glorifying a mythical lifestyle.

But my goal is to get more people out of their cages and onto fun, efficient, high-mpg bikes. A mag that shows and encourages people how to do that would probably be able to increase subscriptions and not have to become a quarterly coffeetable book.

They should state what bikes the reviewers own in the articles.
If it says they own a $15,000+ exotic, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to care for a daily commuter.

I didn't read that Versys 300 article yet. Doesn't sound encouraging. I quit Car & Driver, Road & Track, and the like long, long ago for the same reasons. Completely out of touch writers who, at least in the case of the car mags, don't even write well.

I ride a 2013 DCT. No thousand mile days but lots of 600 to 800.
I’ve never yearned for more power. I’m short, so find the stock windscreen OK, but an aftermarket screen would be better.
The seat is a weak spot, but I’m too cheap to replace. SHEEPSKIN is the hot item for me doing longer days.
Like any lighter bike sidewind can make things interesting, but the bike tracks well and a little lean keeps things straight. (Heading west on I80 in Wyoming with a stiff NW wind: oh boy! NC did fine; rider was glad to finally reach Jackson Hole!)

The
I think I’m done forever done with motorcycle publications. I’ve just read the Motorcycle Consumer News (US version)

I once had great respect for MCN and their down to earth, relevant, unbiased reviews. It’s very clear now that the MCN I once admired no longer exists today.

Did not renew my MCN subscription for the same reasons.

yes, 2nd that. The seat and windscreen should be the first replacements.
In my case, Sargent seat and lexan home made.

Does the 2016 (updated) model have proper bolts holding the wind screen down now?

I read the review. I thought it was actually a decent review. A nice change from horsepower junkies opinions.

JT

Here it is: 2018 Honda NC750X | Road Test Review

AND with that 80cc bump in displacement the HP is now up to a sphincter tightening 51.4 Hp!!!

Except our US NC700 already had the 51/52 HP (of course, all these HP figures are at the crank and not the rear wheel); our bikes were not detuned with the European tier standards....all these HP figures, meh, my 2013 nc700x is the fastest vehicle I own to 90mph (dont care to go any faster)-it will smoke my Jeep Cherokee to 90mph, leave the Ford F250 powerstroke 7.1 in the dust to 90mph, and the wife's Ford Fusion doesnt have a chance to 90mph...Now after that,,, all those vehicles have higher top-ends but I dont drive in the triple digits...hehehe

(of course, all these HP figures are at the crank and not the rear wheel)

Didn't even follow the link, did ya Mr. I Know Everything? Because if you did you would have seen that there was a dyno run graph, and those are measured at the rear wheel. Waiting with baited breath for the unsubstantiated conspiracy theory assertion that the graph is a hoax.

Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed the NC750X in the May edition, too. Very similar overall review. They were pleased with the bike and did a good job pointing out its many positive attributes. MCN’s bike dyno’d at 53 hp, as I recall. :) They didn’t like the stock tires at all.

All the MCN haters missed the NCX feature! :p

Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed the NC750X in the May edition, too. Very similar overall review. They were pleased with the bike and did a good job pointing out its many positive attributes. MCN’s bike dyno’d at 53 hp, as I recall. :) They didn’t like the stock tires at all.

All the MCN haters missed the NCX feature! :p

One thing I look at in magazine reviews is what fuel economy the testers achieved. For MCN's test of the NC750X, they reported average of 55 MPG, which we all know is quite low for this model. This tells me something about the testers' riding style and perhaps their expectations, and hence the validity of their comments as it might apply to me and my style.

MCN incorrectly stated the fuel grade as 91 octane, but without a measurement standard to accompany the stat, the number 91 is ambiguous.

Didn't even follow the link, did ya Mr. I Know Everything? Because if you did you would have seen that there was a dyno run graph, and those are measured at the rear wheel. Waiting with baited breath for the unsubstantiated conspiracy theory assertion that the graph is a hoax.

Why are you such an A$$$$???? I was just posting what was marketed back in 2012/2013/2014....jeesh..gone gone gone...

Here it is: 2018 Honda NC750X | Road Test Review

AND with that 80cc bump in displacement the HP is now up to a sphincter tightening 51.4 Hp!!!

Why are you being so mean?

And if you're going to get picky, I believe the displacement bump was from 670cc to 745cc, which is actually a difference of 75cc.

Last edited:
Back