• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding all of Route 66 this summer. What tools would you bring?

Jwalt

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I'm packing up for a late June full ride of Route 66. We've got a couple weeks left to get the bikes to the shipper (end of May), so just enough time to order stuff.

My bike was used and did not have the stock Honda tools. Aside from the obvious items to adjust and clean the chain/patch kit/tire pressure and inflation , what tools would you bring?

I have not ridden across the continent east to west, only north to south, so this reply is for fun and participation as much as or more than highly experienced help.:)

Route 66 is pretty well traveled, and much of it is now underneath Interstate freeways. Because of that, were I in your place I wouldn’t be too concerned about being stranded and alone, unable to summon help or find it nearby.

For me, I like to have screwdrivers, end wrenches, pliers, some Allen wrenches, a Crescent or similar, some tire plugs, and at least a couple or few sockets on the bike for trips. That way I can remove and replace or tighten any common fastener on the bike if I need to. I have often traveled with my dad on motorcycle trips, so if I carry those tools and he carries the air compressor, we feel like we’re about as well equipped as we want to be. We go back and forth about whether we like to have RideOn in the tires or not. I’ve rarely had a flat on a street motorcycle (knock on wood!), but the one time I ran over a big screw I did _not_ have RideOn in the tire and it went flat. <sigh>

My tool selection let us tighten a leaking hose clamp on dad’s bike on one ride. We were headed up the Devil’s Highway in AZ, which has traffic but fairly little, and cell phone service is not very good. That would have stopped the ride and stranded him and mom had I not had those basic tools. That’s the kind of thing I try to prep for.

Spooning tires off and back on at the side of the road? Not what I’m trying to prep for. I suppose I _could_, but no.

Hope you enjoy your ride, and that you post a ride report (with pics!) here!

Cell phone and credit card!

Seriously.... I carry a basic tool kit with what’s needed to do basic maintenance. Some wrenches and sockets 8,10,12,14,17mm. Sockets for the axles24&27mm?, pliers and screwdrivers. Allen wrenches of a few sizes.
Zip ties, flat repair kit and tire pump rounds out my traveling kit.

Whenever I do anything on my bike, I use my bike tools. I’ve been able to do just about everything I needed with those simple tools. Anything major and I’m taking it to a shop.

JT

Basic metric tools already mentioned but aside from perhaps adjusting the chain you won't need them. Perhaps a spare headlight bulb and fuses for any aftermarket accessories. Must have is 12v compressor and tire gummy worm plugging tools. If your bike or one in the group doesn't have a 15 or 20 amp fused power point for the compressor then add one or practice accessing the battery for the alligator clip hook up. I attract flats on trips and a plug kit and compressor has made a flat tire a 20 minute affair on 5 or 6 trips instead of a tow to a shop visit. I used it last Friday 175 miles from home.

My bike was used and did not have the stock Honda tools.
My bike was new and also didn't come with stock Honda tools. Probably because there are none ;-)
You won't need to bring any tools. Seriously. Maybe a flat kit with a couple of cartridges. It is only 2,400 miles long if you run the entire route and you will be walking distance to a Walmart or AutoParts store for most of it. Adjust the chain and change the oil before you go and have fun!

If you don't have it, get an AMA membership. You get a free tow package. Your only worry should be a possible flat tire. Take a plug kit, pump, credit card. Rain gear. sun block. Change of clothes.

travel light.

Hope you enjoy your ride, and that you post a ride report (with pics!) here!

You know, I hadn't thought about it as I'm not much of a pics guy, but my brother is a shutterbug.

I can definitely do updates semi-daily.

I should have mentioned, my brother will be with me on his Dark Horse Chieftain. He's got the compressor covered.

Reactions: MZ5
Must have is 12v compressor and tire gummy worm plugging tools. If your bike or one in the group doesn't have a 15 or 20 amp fused power point for the compressor then add one or practice accessing the battery for the alligator clip hook up. I attract flats on trips and a plug kit and compressor has made a flat tire a 20 minute affair on 5 or 6 trips instead of a tow to a shop visit. I used it last Friday 175 miles from home.

I have a power hookup for the trickle charger but it's not fused to my knowledge. While we will be using my brother's compressor (for his suspension) and I know he's set up properly, that is a good reminder that i need to make that a fused circuit.

I carry a ton of stuff because I have room. I'm fairly high up the curve on the ADVRider Toolkit Thread. 2 methods of inflation, wire, JB Weld, lots of tools.

People recommend a flat repair kit. Any suggestions on a good one?
A forum search on tire repair kit parameters should yield many ideas from the previous discussions on that subject. Some flat repair kit suggestions are embedded in “what did you do today” threads.

A buddy and I rode it or what of it you can ride of in 2014. We started in Ohio, hit 66 in St Louis and ended in San Luis Obispo California before heading up the coast to San Fran and then turning back east to Ohio. 5500 miles in 11 days. There are only sections left of the old RT 66 that you can actually ride, but there are some interesting stops like the RT 66 Road Kill Cafe etc. Most of the time you are on a parallel expressway (but a lot of the time can see the old 66 a hundred yards away). I was riding a Honda ST 1300 and took no tools, other than a small tire repair kit, and a master list of Honda dealerships in the US (just in case but didn't need it). For an NC I would also take tools to adjust the chain and some chain lube. That's it.

Been there...got the T shirt lol (there are several Rt 66 Museums along the route)

WuoC3g6h.jpg

I used this book for traveling Route 66. Highly recommended.

Route 66: EZ66 GUIDE for Travelers

R66 can meander a bit in places. They changed the course of the route in some areas over the years. The book made it simple to find the route I wanted. It also highlighted some sights that I might have otherwise missed. It is written for both eastbound and west bound guidance.

Do pack a good tire plug kit. In 2020, I had a rapid deflation on the rear tire of my R1200GS with my wife riding pillion at about 60mph in the middle of the Badlands. Plugged the hole and put about 28 psi in the tire using co2, then cautiously rode another 25 miles to the nearest gas station to top it off. I get the kind with T handles making it much easier to install a plug. I usually carry the large co2 bottles from the aquarium section at the big pet stores, but recently received a rechargeable pump as a gift. The co2 is fast, and will get you in the ballpark, then top it off with a pump if necessary. I probably won't buy them again though now that I have the pump. I also have a very compact bike pump just in case.

Chris Scott did a recent article on his website. A good enough endorsement for me.

Rechargeable jump starters are not a bad idea. I picked one up for my car recently, but plan to take it on the bike on long trips. Walmart sells a nice, compact NOCO unit.

Roadside Assistance through your insurance provider isn't a bad idea. You might already have it. I've never used it. It's a bit of peace of mind, and keeps me from packing the entire toolbox on my bike just in case.

Last edited:
Back