• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip)

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Always ride in the middle of a lane when traveling.

Many bikers may be tempted to travel along a lane on the sides (width was designed for cars and trucks). It is not recommended because

1. the car or truck behind will be tempted to overtake you, with 2/3 of the lane available to them
2. the 2-thirds of the lane at its sides, are the most used part of the lane, and could have rubber-debris
3. you may give the wrong impression that you are switching lanes

Another tip, never ride on the white-painted lines or arrows on the roads. Many of them are "old type" paint from old days, and they are proven to be slippery and dangerous under certain wet or snow conditions. New regulations have since been implemented to ensure new paint (anti-slip) are used on our roads (in Switzerland).

However, when one stops at a red-light (first in line), it is polite to stop with room for another biker to line up in parallel (but half body behind).
Certain countries encourage this, while others disallow this.

Hope you find this a useful safety tip and feel free to share yours.

Ride safe
Joe.
:eek:

If I am within 30' & behind a car (looking to pass) I ride in the left tire track of the car. My theory here is, if i'm in the center of the lane, and there's an obstacle in the center of the lane, odds are the car ahead of me won't move left or right to avoid it. I wouldn't have any idea it it was there until the car ahead of me passes over it, and I would have little time to react in order to avoid it.

On the other hand, being in the left tire track of the car, if the obstacle is in this area of the lane, the car will move left or right to avoid it. When I see a car moving, I move along with them, anticipating that there is an obstacle I can't see in my area of the lane.

Last edited:
Always ride in the middle of a lane when traveling.

Riders have different riding styles and reasons for doing so. With 38 years of riding experience behind me (and no crashes), I'll say I avoid riding in the middle of the lane. I ride in either tire track, and shift from one to the other as needs dictate. The middle of the lane likely has the most debris, such as tire scraps, screws, nails, oil, antifreeze, small cargo that has fallen from vehicles, etc.

I adjust the lane position from one tire track to the other as needed to place the most space between me and a potential hazard, be it oncoming vehicles, wild animals, side road "snipers", etc.

I do sometimes position myself to gain "ownership" of the entire lane in cases where another vehicle may take advantage of my narrow width.

But, I never ride in the center as a rule.

Greg

I'm with mpgandfun and 670cc, avoid riding in the middle of the lane and, if possible, select the left side instead the right one. I don't see a reason to ride in the middle other than keep the cops happy, the oil and the white lines are allways there

I do avoid the middle of the lane of several reasons. One is oil spill or other slippery crap is more likely to find in the middle of the lanes. One other (and very important) is on roads with multiple lanes I do on purpose place the bike closer to the side towards the lane where you overtake other vehicles. This tend to help dramatically to avoid cagers (car drivers) to change their lane just in front of you! Try it and do find the different behavior of the cagers!

The only common behavior I have seen in cagers is they are going to do the most incredible, stupid and dangerous thing just in front of you.

For instance: if they drive with the window open, you blink just a second and you will eat the ash from his cigar, or even the entire cigar. I hate cagers all over the world

I hate cagers all over the world
Nah José, you have to understand that the cagers just haven't seen the light yet! :) In due time they will. I hope...
This is a coaster I found in Berlin this summer. Feels like a proper thing to introduce in this thread :)

DSC_2914.jpg

Last edited:
I avoid the center of the lane for all the reasons previously posted. Active lane positioning places us in different parts of the travel lane depending on the circumstance but I favor left of center when there aren't reasons not to be there.

100_2607.jpg

:D
I would say
1. The roads here are very clean
2. They are very smooth also (no such thing as visible tire tracks, etc)
3. I am not so near the car in front, that I need to be mindful of what they are doing (and may follow suit).

I always ride in the middle of the road, when I can.
Situations which you guys described above, may warrant a deviation to the "follow track" tactic, yes, I agree too.

So far, I think my experience on Swiss roads, differ from many riders from other countries out there. I think you have to be here, to know what I mean.

Most likely I will visit you next summer, in the period of last week in june or early july. Then we can discover the smooth flat roads that the rest of Europe only can dream of! :)

That will be wonderful!
You MUST drop by my home!
If time permits, I will ride somewhere with you, and then head back, while you continue on.

I totally agree that one must see the swiss roads and sceneries to appreciate and maybe, just maybe agree with what I said about swiss road quality, etc.
BTW, I only live here since 2001.

Before that, I am totally aware of those pot-holed stuff and track-ridden roads. I know where you guys are coming from.
Not to mention dusty roads..etc.

I will take a roundtrip tour in Europe 2013, starting in Sweden mid july, going to Denmark, north of Germany, Holland/Belgium and stop at Epernay in France for about a week or less. (This includes some heavy bike riding on the streets of Paris, of course! :)After that I'm heading for the Alps! Switzerland and Austria is on the menu where I will be criss crossing for about a week. Then I will slowly heading home through Czechia and Poland and/or Germany. If weather permits I will be camping all the way and the bike will most certainly NOT be the X, but the Lady in Read, the Deauville :)

If you are used to the pot-holes you can came from most anywhere in Europe. Please do tell us more!

I will take a roundtrip tour in Europe 2013, starting in Sweden mid july, going to Denmark, north of Germany, Holland/Belgium and stop at Epernay in France for about a week or less. (This includes some heavy bike riding on the streets of Paris, of course! :)After that I'm heading for the Alps! Switzerland and Austria is on the menu where I will be criss crossing for about a week. Then I will slowly heading home through Czechia and Poland and/or Germany. If weather permits I will be camping all the way and the bike will most certainly NOT be the X, but the Lady in Read, the Deauville :)

If you are used to the pot-holes you can came from most anywhere in Europe. Please do tell us more!

I worked or travelled in these countries before, and ridden* actively in some of them (not all) :
Singapore*, Thailand*, Malaysia*, Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India (Bangalore), Germany* (of course the black forest), Switzerland* (current resident), Austria, Italy*, UK, France.
(* = ridden there on a motorcycle)

The potholed roads are mainly in Asia and some parts of "poorer" Europe.
My most memorable pot-holed roads are in Thailand and Malaysia. But the local foods make it all worthwhile.

I generally ride either left 1/3 or right 1/3 of the lane.
I would avoid the middle as there would be lot of oil.
I choose the side depending on where I am going and the number of cages I have on each side
Also watch the road when you come to stop light and before you put your foot down to make sure you are not putting it down to the oil patch

Its nice to have choices, isn't it?? My lane placement is dependent on what 'potential hazard' I'm currently faced with. Left side is good for overtaking and being seen, don't like spending too much time in the center, especially when its wet. And the ringside, I may weave to just because I can, but primarily if there is an access road from the left. I want to have 'room' to work with should the driver suddenly bolt out! When riding in groups, if we split lanes, then we will probably each take a side.

Its nice to have choices, isn't it?? My lane placement is dependent on what 'potential hazard' I'm currently faced with. Left side is good for overtaking and being seen, don't like spending too much time in the center, especially when its wet. And the ringside, I may weave to just because I can, but primarily if there is an access road from the left. I want to have 'room' to work with should the driver suddenly bolt out! When riding in groups, if we split lanes, then we will probably each take a side.

Hi TP

In the US, you drive on the right side of the road, so overtaking on the left is the only legal way. Same here.
Overtaking on the right is both illegal and risky because road-users are trained to look out for overtakers on the left, plus right is the blind spot. (especially cagers)

When riding in groups, please do not ride alongside another bike, even at low speeds on public roads.
You should leave enough room between bikes, as if you are riding alone.

You can, however, STOP alongside one another, 2 diagonally in tandem at the stoplights.
In some countries this is allowed at stop lights, in other countries this is frowned upon on.

I can say this quite bluntly. I am very safety conscious although I sometimes ride like an idiot crazy nut. I do and can see how many riders, through naivety or ignorance or just plain stubborness, ride 2 in a row, chat with one another openface helmets on the move, follow very closely, stop at "wrong" places while riding in a group, etc.
This is not exclusive to new riders.
I have seen matured and so-called "experienced" riders, who do not understand group riding safety measures.
Experienced does not mean doing the right thing.

One "old" rider I know, he just stops where he wants, gets off bike to tell the group the route directions, right at the redlight, posing a BIG DANGER to the whole group through his ill-conceived stop. Sometimes another rider will stop at an awkward spot on the roadside (sometimes A-roads with 100kmh speed limits) and proceed to take off helmet and bark off instructions.
One time, his brand new Fireblade just tipped over in gear.

The best place to stop, is a clear spot where others can see you stop, there is ample space for ALL riders and bikes to stop. Best is a rest stop, not just any spot.

Hope I don't come across as preaching. I have seen too many dead riders....

Ride safe, so you can ride again....

Back