• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Risk evaluation

Without reading that I'm gonna say protect everything— wear all the gear, all the time.

That report (or rather website) from the Aussies is a good one.

Here are a couple more, which include data from the US, Europe, and elsewhere:

Without reading that I'm gonna say protect everything— wear all the gear, all the time
I’m a firm believer in that too, but my issue has been deciding which gear should I get. Do I need a race boot for the grocery store or will a softer Trials boot do? One example anyway

I’m a firm believer in that too, but my issue has been deciding which gear should I get. Do I need a race boot for the grocery store or will a softer Trials boot do? One example anyway
Yes wear the full length adv boot to the store, it drives moms wild. Moms love safety and safety culture

This one slide was of particular interest to me. Seeing the IPI being predominantly the front of the motorcycle, it makes sense that a lot of accidents are caused by high speed, as well as following too close, and not being able to see well around obstacles. As a young pup, I was a redline rider. I have slowed my speed in both riding and driving over the years. I am looking at this slide and asking, personally, how I can mitigate the potential for all of these. One reason I chose the NC over a cruiser is the higher seat height, which will give me a greater advantage concerning sight lines. Looks like slow and steady wins the race, again.

Also interesting about the slide is the low number of rear impacts. Commercials for decelerometers will have you believe that rear-endings dominate the chart, when in fact they are quite low in incidence, respectively. I still purchased a decelerometer, because I don't want to be a statistic in that column, either.

Overall, I see the studies pointing towards the high incidence of lower extremity injuries. I always wore a helmet, some type of jacket, and boots (mostly). Long pants were a must, but just blue jeans most of the time. Ha. Knowledge and wisdom have come along over the years, and trying to define what ATGATT means for me is an interesting journey.

Thanks for posting those links. Knowledge is power.

Attachments

• Impacts in a Motorcycle Crash.jpg
    Impacts in a Motorcycle Crash.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 9
I’ve thought about this a while and had 2020 been a better riding year for me I’d probably have upgraded my boots by now. I’ve got multiple jackets with fancy abrasion resistant materials and leather, CE2 Armor. Ditto my moto pants. Multiple pairs of moto gloves, all with palm sliders and knuckle armor. Blah blah blah!

but my boots...

My current Forma boots have no real shin protection other than pliable leather. I’ve got CE ankle pads but no reinforced anything covering my tibia ... the most commonly broken bit of the human body in an moto accident.

Seriously looking at taller more protective boots. Sidi Canyon, Sidi Armada, Forma Cape Horn, Forma ADV Tour, to name a few models I’m considering.

Reactions: MZ5
I’ve thought about this a while and had 2020 been a better riding year for me I’d probably have upgraded my boots by now. I’ve got multiple jackets with fancy abrasion resistant materials and leather, CE2 Armor. Ditto my moto pants. Multiple pairs of moto gloves, all with palm sliders and knuckle armor. Blah blah blah!

but my boots...

My current Forma boots have no real shin protection other than pliable leather. I’ve got CE ankle pads but no reinforced anything covering my tibia ... the most commonly broken bit of the human body in an moto accident.

Seriously looking at taller more protective boots. Sidi Canyon, Sidi Armada, Forma Cape Horn, Forma ADV Tour, to name a few models I’m considering.
Sounds like you’re considering adventure type boots. Call Brian at Atomic-Moto. He really laid it all out for me and helped me decide (Terra Evo X for me I think). The guy is a wealth of knowledge and often has his boots 10-20$ cheaper than the competition. Normally I’m a Revzilla fan but he’s got my boot business.

but my boots...

I wear Sidi Cobra Gore boots, which they sadly no longer make. I think the Canyon might be the successor model. Good protection without looking too crazy. I had a tipover where I briefly got my foot wedged between the bike and the pavement and my foot didn't feel it.

I wear Sidi bike shoes too so I'm a bit of a fanboy for those Italians.

I wear Sidi Cobra Gore boots, which they sadly no longer make. I think the Canyon might be the successor model. Good protection without looking too crazy. I had a tipover where I briefly got my foot wedged between the bike and the pavement and my foot didn't feel it.

I wear Sidi bike shoes too so I'm a bit of a fanboy for those Italians.
I think the Sidi Canyon is currently my top choice. It actually looks like I could walk around town in that boot without looking like a space alien or weirdo. But I like the fact that it is protective around the foot and it includes hard shin protection.

The Forma ADV Tourer is probably my 2nd choice at the moment, it looks a bit more like a moon boot with the thick moulded rubber sole, it has less velcro on the wrap around and I'd be a little worried that as that wears there may not be enough surface area for it to remain secure??? But it does have a rigid panel for shin protection, which I do like. The Cape Horn from Forma is probably my 3rd choice, its a bit taller, not too aggressive looking and ticks the safely boxes I'm looking for. My current Forma boots fit great and are comfortable so I'm when I say either of these boots is my 2nd or 3rd choices it is only by a very very slim margin compared to the Sidi.

Rev'it has the Gravel OutDry, in the same price range, but it looks a bit too much like a snow boot had sex with a moon boot. Why do so many of the protective moto boots look so strange? For the American market, where people on bikes don't walk around town in full gear, most of the boots look really odd.

I think the Sidi Canyon is currently my top choice. It actually looks like I could walk around town in that boot without looking like a space alien or weirdo. But I like the fact that it is protective around the foot and it includes hard shin protection.

The Forma ADV Tourer is probably my 2nd choice at the moment, it looks a bit more like a moon boot with the thick moulded rubber sole, it has less velcro on the wrap around and I'd be a little worried that as that wears there may not be enough surface area for it to remain secure??? But it does have a rigid panel for shin protection, which I do like. The Cape Horn from Forma is probably my 3rd choice, its a bit taller, not too aggressive looking and ticks the safely boxes I'm looking for. My current Forma boots fit great and are comfortable so I'm when I say either of these boots is my 2nd or 3rd choices it is only by a very very slim margin compared to the Sidi.

Rev'it has the Gravel OutDry, in the same price range, but it looks a bit too much like a snow boot had sex with a moon boot. Why do so many of the protective moto boots look so strange? For the American market, where people on bikes don't walk around town in full gear, most of the boots look really odd.

I used to keep a pair of boat shoes in my top box to walk around town in and just left my boots under my bike when I wore big boots. Never a problem.

Now I have gone the other direction and wear high top Eddie Bauer heavy leather high top goretex hiking boots specifically because they are comfortable to walk in and provide above average protection and normal appearance. Everything is a compromise.

Last edited:
Now I have gone the other direction and wear high top Eddie Bauer heavy leather high top goretex hiking boots specifically because they are comfortable to walk in.
As moto boots? They would offer virtually no protection from common injuries.

As moto boots? They would offer virtually no protection from common injuries.
Well, I guess that is a matter of opinion. They come up well over my ankles and are thick with padded leather over both sides of the ankle bones. They are certainly thicker and heavier than my sidi rains or BMW touring goretex boots and almost as high, and lace tightly to my feet and ankles with thick nylon laces. Everyone has to decide for themselves where they are comfortable drawing the line between comfort and protection.

Last edited:
Well, I guess that is a matter of opinion. They come up well over my ankles and are thick with padded leather over both sides of the ankle bones. They are certainly thicker and heavier than my sidi rains or BMW touring goretex boots and almost as high, and lace tightly to my feet and ankles with thick nylon laces. Everyone has to decide for themselves where they are comfortable drawing the line between comfort and protection.
I’d say there is foam padding in a hiking boot and impact protection that spreads and/or absorbs shock/crush in a moto boot. I’m a long time long distance backpacker (thousands of miles and crossing several countries on foot carrying a backpack) and it’s hard to compare a moto boot to a hiking boot. They are designed for differing types of protection.

That said I’m unfamiliar with your current moto boots so perhaps they offer minimal protection?

I’d say there is foam padding in a hiking boot and impact protection that spreads and/or absorbs shock/crush in a moto boot. I’m a long time long distance backpacker (thousands of miles and crossing several countries on foot carrying a backpack) and it’s hard to compare a moto boot to a hiking boot. They are designed for differing types of protection.

That said I’m unfamiliar with your current moto boots so perhaps they offer minimal protection?
Perhaps. I hope you are able to find what you are looking for.

Last edited:

The Cape Horn is a better built boot than the ADV tourer. I like that the Sidi is Goretex. That’s a plus. A gentleman I spoke with told me the ADV tourer was built to a price point. The Cape Horn is more built to a functional standpoint. The ADV tourer would be easier to walk around in I think as the Cape Horn has a steel shank. Both those boots are rated 2-2-2-2 for CE protection though. I’m not sure you can go wrong.
As far as moon boots won’t your pants be covering them? All anyone would see is the foot.

Back