• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rossi, will he ever win again?

You're probably too young to remember Crivillé vs Doohan.

BTW, Lorenzo won Rossi runing the same bike

Anyway, my prefered 500cc runner was Kevin Schwantz, and I'm not saying that because we are in a US forum, to me he was the best

Sheesh, I thought you were a younger kid all this time :p but you must be of more advanced years, lol! (both compliments, btw heehee)

Schwantz was my fav all time, with a definite nod towards Freddie Spencer, as I had a Honda when he was winning his 250 and 500 GP crowns.

Ah, the glorious 2-Stroke days with Crivillé, Schwantz, Spencer, Rainey, Lawson, Mamola, Doohan, Gardner, et al. Sigh.

I just missed out on the tail end of Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene careers.

Its a shame but i've lost interest now stoner is retiring. One of the most exciting riders of the modern era. He proved that by riding the DUC far better than anyone ever has and kicked butt at Honda too!!! Rossi may win some races at Yamaha but unless Pedrosa can really step up, Lorenzo will win next year too. Stoners' style will be missed :(

I remember Doohan....he retired when I got my first bike...
:p

I did not really follow motogp (or in those days GP 500?) but later on Rossi attracted my attention.
I never had a "racing" bike though....hated the crouching position.

I can honestly say that I was really excited when Rossi went over to Ducati 2 year ago. But that had only revealed 2 things - Rossi only can win on a good bike, one that fits his riding style; and Ducati GP bike had not improved much from the GP7. Back on a Yamaha, I believe Rossi has a few more wins in him. I doubt he'd setting the world on fire though.

I am sad that Stoner is leaving though. I've always liked him, not just for his raw talent on the track, but for his honesty. He may not have the tact to find the best words at the best situation, but you can always count on him to speak his mind. I am going to miss him next season.

Last edited:
Google Giacomo Agostini and check out his racing history. Compared with the guys of his era todays riders have easy
He only won so often cus he had the best equipment,,,as soon as Phil Read join him at MV,,Read won the 500cc title... As for Vale,,,as long as he enjoys his racing thats all that really matter,he has nothing to prove...

Why do you have this obsession with the age of riders?
coz we're old buggers whether we like it or not, PAH! these young'n have no respect lol

as for Stoner the only guy to tame the DUCK!
one thing you guys forget Stoner rode the 800cc and not the 1000cc that Rossi rode.
different bike altogether.
and what is more the Duck was faster in a straight line than other at the time.
Honda, Yamaha and others were concentrating on corner speed and not outright speed to which stoner had.
this gave Stoner advantage, time to get around corners etc.
by the time others caught up speed wise it was already to late.
the following year he didn't do so well so he jump ship.
then the little mouthy git had the nerve to say to Rossi your ambition out weighed your talent and this to a 9 times world champion.
no championship is won on a poor bike and thats the fact.
Rossi came from a two stroke era and the weren't so good for handling..often throwing riders off a real mans bike!!.
no fancy traction controls and all the other stuff like the have now.
if they went back to basic most of these guys wouldn't be where they are now.
like all good racers their time at the top comes to an end no matter how good they were.

after all we know our selves we don't ride like we use to when we were young.
although some do try but more often sadly they get themselves killed or injured.
every time biking season start and by the time its finished, flowers are all over the road side laid by bereaved families.
its very sad and selfish of these silly folks getting themselves killed for the love of High speed and to prove to mates etc.

Last edited:
I wonder how these riders would get on if they had to do 2 or 3 classes like the old days. Last man to win two titles in the same season was Fast Freddie. also way back the GP guys would also turn out at National meetings so you could get to see them eace on severl occassions every year.
In my opinion the racers that deserve the most respect are those that race on real roads that takes reall balls
BTW When does the biking season mentioned start. Mine lasts from January 1st through to December 31st

My all time faverite is Mr Philip Read MBE ,,,He won load of titles in the 60s and when the shit hit the fan in the 70s give Ago a right good kicking,,hard as nail,tough as old boots...I saw him once at Cadwell park on the MV500....A real man on a mans bike!!!!!!!

You have to admire Rossi though,,,his character just shines out of him,,compered to Pedrosa and all the other clones in Moto gp he,s the man....Sure some of his tacit s are abit dubious, but he has a history of getting results,I for one would love to see him stuff Honda and Pedrosa one last time.....

My all time faverite is Mr Philip Read MBE ,,,He won load of titles in the 60s and when the shit hit the fan in the 70s give Ago a right good kicking,,hard as nail,tough as old boots...I saw him once at Cadwell park on the MV500....A real man on a mans bike!!!!!!!
I have met Phil several timesA grat rider but such a nice man, He certainly wasn't that popular with many of his fellow riders at the time

You have to admire Rossi though,,,his character just shines out of him,,compered to Pedrosa and all the other clones in Moto gp he,s the man....Sure some of his tacit s are abit dubious, but he has a history of getting results,I for one would love to see him stuff Honda and Pedrosa one last time.....

Yeah, I am waiting for that too. Like millions of 46 fans....

Don't deny that he a great rider just a shame that when he wins he has to act like an egotistical pratt and when he doesn't it's everybodies fault except his Guys like Hailwood Ago Sheene Joey were all great riders with character but they didn't need to dress up as chickens or go around slagging off other riders although sheene did say that king kenney couldn't develop a cold just before kenney went on to win thw world championship.
The other thing about Rossi is the way that he spat out his dummy when yamaha signed Jorge

Can't we all get along ? I am also too young to have watched Giaccomo Agostini in his prime but I do know who he is and am familiar with some of his accomplishments. He also did very well at the Isle of Man for a long stretch back when that race was even more dangerous than it is today. He was also a victim of bad machinery and management until he finally hooked up with MV Augusta and then Yamaha and started to win regularly. Rocker is right about racers having it a lot tougher then than now. Many of today's racers are prima donnas who would never had survived in the "good olde days". Too much corporate sponsorship and money involved today. Those who have the most money usually win. But I still enjoy the racing. Can't wait for MotoGP to start again. Go 69!!

Can't we all get along ? I am also too young to have watched Giaccomo Agostini in his prime but I do know who he is and am familiar with some of his accomplishments. He also did very well at the Isle of Man for a long stretch back when that race was even more dangerous than it is today. He was also a victim of bad machinery and management until he finally hooked up with MV Augusta and then Yamaha and started to win regularly. Rocker is right about racers having it a lot tougher then than now. Many of today's racers are prima donnas who would never had survived in the "good olde days". Too much corporate sponsorship and money involved today. Those who have the most money usually win. But I still enjoy the racing. Can't wait for MotoGP to start again. Go 69!!

Some people just don't want to get along. They want to say what comes to their minds first. Rossi, Biaggi, Stoner, Lorenzo, etc are all pampered with great amounts of money but at that level of skills and risk to injury (plus all the entertainment and excitement they can provide), I'd say just let them be. They have "earned" it.

Everyone is different, every generation has its ups and downs. It is quite mean to say this or that rider is like this or like that. Live and let live. Everyone is different, we don't have to be same nor try to impress by thinking we are "better" than others just because of any self-thought-up reasons.

Live and let live.
Some people will never get it.

In fact racing today is far less dangerous than it used to be due to better macinary better safety equipment and safer less exciting circuits. In the old days in was just man and bike with no electronics to help get them out of trouble. watching guys fight for world championship points on real road circuits was certainly something to remember.I used to go to Europe to watch GPs may favourite circuit being Spa in Belgium now I wouldn't bother to cross the road to watch modern MotoGP but am happy to watch it on TV. If I want to watch racing live I will go to classic bike meets or better still over to Ireland to watch real road racing

(((Don't deny that he a great rider just a shame that when he wins he has to act like an egotistical pratt and when he doesn't it's everybodies fault except his)))

I can't say that I notice. he just come across as a likeable and I don't recall he ever blamed any one else when things go wrong.
the only time he was on the blame game was on a Ducati and we all know what a shit bike that is.
we all know you don't like him Rocker perhaps he doesn't like you either.
I don't know you but you come across to me as a right old miserable pratt!!
I've seen two pictures of you and not once did you smile even when you sat on your new bike.
if we ever meet who knows I may get to like you think your not a miserable pratt after all.
so let past be past them days are long gone.
to days racing may not be as dangerous as days of old but never the less still dangerous .
things have moved on since and we need the likes of Rossi whether you like it or not .
not only BIKERS like watch racing other none BIKERS like it to.
just enjoy the bloody race!!

Last edited:
(((Don't deny that he a great rider just a shame that when he wins he has to act like an egotistical pratt and when he doesn't it's everybodies fault except his)))

I can't say that I notice. he just come across as a likeable and I don't recall he ever blamed any one else when things go wrong.
the only time he was on the blame game was on a Ducati and we all know what a shit bike that is.
we all know you don't like him Rocker perhaps he doesn't like you either.
I don't know you but you come across to me as a right old miserable pratt!!
I've seen two pictures of you and not once did you smile even when you sat on your new bike.
if we ever meet who knows I may get to like you think your not a miserable pratt after all.
so let past be past them days are long gone.
to days racing may not be as dangerous as days of old but never the less still dangerous .
things have moved on since and we need the likes of Rossi whether you like it or not .
not only BIKERS like watch racing other none BIKERS like it to.
just enjoy the bloody race!!

Great effort John, great effort.
:D

I don't have to go around with a smile on my face to show that I'm happy. As you say you don't know me and I can assure you that I have a good laugh with my mates both biking ones and football fans.
Whether you ir anyone else likes me or doesn't like me is of no concern but I do think that it is a pity that you can't post the fact that you disagree with my opinions without resorting to personal abuse
As to needing Rossi I know a lot of people like to watch him but also many like me lost interest when he was dominateing the racing as it was a bit like watching a football match when you already knew who had won

Back