• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Russell Day Long Seat for NC700

They sure look comfy but sheesh, man they is one ugly seat!

For long distance on my Varadero I used to cover my seat with a sheep skin, pure bliss, I could easily do 2 hours plus on that bike.

Ugly, not especially important. Good at what it does... much more important...

I just can't stomach the price.

I've had mine for a while and love it as expected. Mine's a dual since the wife rides with me most of the time. I've had 4 RDL's over the years plus 3 other brands and will never use anyone else again.

Thank you for posting that picture. I was wondering what a dual RDL would look like for the NC700X. Does the wife notice a big difference in comfort? I will likely ride down with my wife to have one made when I can spare the money. I just can't see going with any other seat than the Russell Day Long.

So what are we looking at for cost? I paid about $300 for my BMS. How much more are we talking?

I've had mine for a while and love it as expected. Mine's a dual since the wife rides with me most of the time. I've had 4 RDL's over the years plus 3 other brands and will never use anyone else again.

6.jpg

With your wife riding with you, the Russell was worth every penny you paid for it.

smileyGlass.jpg

Last edited:
These seat companies need to get a grip on fair pricing - the problem is Corbin has been bending riders over for years on their seats so now every Tom Dick or harry in the seat business does the same - there is no way a small seat on a NC could possible be worth $700-800.

Regards

Someone on the board here posted the following picture:
RDL_Seat.jpg
It's a better photograph than Russel use on their site.
I'm planning to take my old stock seat to a local seat maker and ask him to make a copy.
600-800 (with heat) is just too much.... though I recognize I will probably end up buying one some day.

the Shad seems to be well-liked -- I only wish they listed the front section separately since I'll probably get Dale's rack ; }

I know its not the same thing but in retrospect you can buy and entire scooter for $700 with a bigger seat!

These replacement seat prices are out of control!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 9.28.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 9.28.53 AM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 356
These replacement seat prices are out of control!

They must not be. I just sent my eighth seat in for a Russell build and there was a six week waiting list. So even though I would like to have paid less for it, as a former business owner I'd say they would be crazy to lower the price. Yes, I even had one on my scooter - a TMax.

I rode back from Maine last month on my R100RS with Russell seat in one setting - 30 hours and 1,345 miles. It went slowly because of dense fog overnight, not butt breaks. Do that on a $700 scooter with a vinyl pain injector for a seat. There is a healthy market for them at this price and there is no way I could stand a 30 hour ride without one. Everyone doesn't do extreme long rides. Many people who do are not willing or able to spend $700 on a seat. Some have tried them and didn't like them. There are some that Russell wouldn't build for because they did not think it would work for the customer and their reputation is more important to them than a seat sale. There is one forum member here who considers anyone who would buy one as his intellectual inferior. But they are a little bit of heaven to me, and I will forego something else if necessary to make it happen. Every time I buy a bike, Russell sells a seat. The new leather Russell for my new-to-me K1100RS arrives in about a week.

These seat companies need to get a grip on fair pricing - the problem is Corbin has been bending riders over for years on their seats so now every Tom Dick or harry in the seat business does the same - there is no way a small seat on a NC could possible be worth $700-800.

Regards
Your garage looks like it's got 50 large in toys. Are you seriously complaining about $700 for a seat?

Regards
I think I paid around $400 for a custom seat for my NCX, because I didn't have the money for a RDL. I can do 15 hours without butt pain. I couldn't get past two hours on the stock seat. Money well spent imho.
When I can afford it, I will have a RDL. By then, my NCX may have a 100,000 miles on it and may only be worth $1000-$2000. I'll pay extra for quality.

Yes. $700 is too much for a seat.
Yes, they are charging "what the market will bare"... It's still too much.
I resent being gouged for a seat just because there are a lot folks with money who are willing to be gouged.

That doesn't make the gouging less painful or (IMHO) less of an offense.
Yes, I will probably buy one.

Yes I will resent them BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER the sale.

They will take my money, and I will hate them for it. They will NOT care... they have my money.

Last edited:
Yes. $700 is too much for a seat.
Yes, they are charging "what the market will bare"... It's still too much.
I resent being gouged for a seat just because there are a lot folks with money who are willing to be gouged.

That doesn't make the gouging less painful or (IMHO) less of an offense.
Yes, I will probably buy one.

Yes I will resent them BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER the sale.

They will take my money, and I will hate them for it. They will NOT care... they have my money.

Sounds like you should not buy one. It is not a medical necessity. Also, before you accuse them, you might try to obtain some data regarding the cost of manufacture. Judging by the time each build takes and the price of American skilled labor, I doubt the mark-up is really that large. They are not knocking out identical seats quickly in batches. The builder looks at pictures and measurements and reads the input from the buyer to determine what to build. Then he has to turn it into reality. The workmanship and materials are top notch. If you are not happy with it, they will do modifications for no extra charge. Every one is different, and the pans are not the same either in shape, age, or condition. On my last build I gave them some information regarding the Russell seats that I liked best and the ones I liked least, so they looked up the builder who made the seat I liked best and assigned the new seat to him along with my extra pictures and comments.

If you don't see the value in it, walk away. Don't make yourself mad. I think they are a good value.

Regards
I contacted Russell Day Long and they will build me a custom seat for about $395 not including shipping. Pretty fair IMHO. Because the NC uses two seat pans (rider/passenger) the NC is the most inexpensive seat for them to build (S-1 price code). Will cost more (naturally) for leather or if you need the passenger pan also redone.

Keep the frills to a minimum, don't have them build a passenger seat and the price is actually very competitive.

I contacted Russell Day Long and they will build me a custom seat for about $395 not including shipping. Pretty fair IMHO. Because the NC uses two seat pans (rider/passenger) the NC is the most inexpensive seat for them to build (S-1 price code). Will cost more (naturally) for leather or if you need the passenger pan also redone.

Keep the frills to a minimum, don't have them build a passenger seat and the price is actually very competitive.

We only have to blame Corbin for starting this goofy pricing - we need more companies to get into the business to make the price competitive. It has nothing to do with who can afford to pay extra for a seat - it has to do with offering a fair price for what you receive. I think my scooter comparison where you can buy an entire scooter for $695 with free shipping with a bigger seat is the best way to show this - hell you get te scooter for free!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 9.28.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 9.28.53 AM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 169
The demand for aftermarket seats is definitely strong. Corbin can even sell them with poor customer service and while making you advertise for them with their name plastered on the side.

Last edited:
The demand for aftermarket seats is definitely strong. Corbin can even sell them with poor customer service and while making you advertise for them with their name plastered on the side.

Yeah you got to love them - they rip you off with their over priced seats then have the nerve to put their name on it so you can become their traveling salesman.

Back