• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Saddlebag and Topcase Shopping - Have a Few Questions

Beaglewrangler

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks for reading,

I have a 2016 NC and want to get some luggage for it. I'm leaning towards the OEM Honda units but have never had or even ridden a bike with luggage. My main concern is for my wife's (passenger) comfort with these installed. I'm assuming that the saddlebags won't interfere with her being able to access the footpegs and I'm wondering if a pad on the topcase is advisable for her to lean against. I've seen pics on the Honda website in an article from 2012 that show the Honda case with a nice backpad on it. If I go in and look at the accessories for the new NC the topcase shown does not have a pad on it. Maybe it isn't necessary - not sure. I would really appreciate any input / recommendations from those of you with experience here.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Hey thanks for reading,

I have a 2016 NC and want to get some luggage for it. I'm leaning towards the OEM Honda units but have never had or even ridden a bike with luggage. My main concern is for my wife's (passenger) comfort with these installed. I'm assuming that the saddlebags won't interfere with her being able to access the footpegs and I'm wondering if a pad on the topcase is advisable for her to lean against. I've seen pics on the Honda website in an article from 2012 that show the Honda case with a nice backpad on it. If I go in and look at the accessories for the new NC the topcase shown does not have a pad on it. Maybe it isn't necessary - not sure. I would really appreciate any input / recommendations from those of you with experience here.

Thanks in advance

Tim
On almost all aftermarket cases the backpad is an add on. Honda may ne the same way.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yup. Honda is the same way. The backpad is an extra that you fasten on the topcase. I will also say that the shape of the OEM panniers is such that there is sort of a 'channel' for the passenger's legs that allow access to the footpegs. In fact, my wife says that she feels very confident back there with her back against the topcase pad and her legs 'locked in' by the side bags. My only complaint about the OEM side cases is that they are an odd shape and they don't have a lot of capacity. They work great for commuting as I do but, if you're going out camping, I'd look at something more "boxy" with more useable capacity.
>T

This is what I have for my top case with the pad: Givi E158 | MotoStorm My understanding is the Honda cases are a good product. Someone who owns them can add informed details. I wanted an aftermarket case so I could easily move it to another bike by just getting a new rack. My spouse much prefers the the back support as she has been passenger with and without it.

Be sure to look at the maximum weight restrictions. My bike came with a factory luggage rack on the back, so I just went with a Givi monolock bag with mounted right on top of it.
The problem is that the Monolock, like the Honda's Frunk, has a ridiculously low weight limit. 6.6 pounds for the Givi E370. I know it can hold more but...
The frunk's limit is 11 pounds and (curiously, because we haven't seen a frunk bag) the limit on the lid is 4.5 pounds.

I did some searching and saw that the 45 lt. Honda top case has a limit of 11 pounds. Can someone confirm this?

If I were riding 2 up I would want something to be able to carry a lot more, so would look into a case with a higher weight limit, like the MonoKey, which requires its own bike-specific rack.

Last edited:
11 lbs sounds right, but that's the limit for the rack itself (which sets your capacity anyway), not necessarily the top box.

I like the factory luggage for fit and function. The saddlebags are a weird shape, as previously mentioned. It works and is totally stable even at high speed, though, which is not necessarily the case with aftermarket options.

The factory top case sits further forward than all the aftermarket stuff I've seen, which is frankly good for weight distribution and handling, but gives you a bit less room for your passenger. It's very uncomfortable for a passenger if you don't buy or make a backrest for it.

No experience with the Honda top box personally but I heard that the Honda brand pushes the passenger further forward.
That aftermarket top cases sit further back.
Anyone here with experience with both who can comment?

God bless!!

Michael

I have the Givi v56 top box and will eventually get V35 side cases. I went this route because of the price vs capacity. The Honda bags just didn't offer enough space for me. My son is begging for the backrest pad for the top case.

61cbd29f945092ece9c6e9806be0867a.jpg

I have the Givi Trekker Outback top and side cases. The top box has a back pad that sticks on and is sold separately. I have ridden thousands of miles with these things way overloaded with camping gear and no problems. A BIG help was getting a shock with an external preload adjuster to help correct the bike geometry when loaded.

Hint: you can save a lot of money by buying the Kappa re-brand of these things from Motostrom.it.

Back