• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Safety Issues for women riding

C.S.Drums10

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I admit this comes from watching the post of the loony bird road rage that jumped out and punched the motorcyclist but if you ride alone or only with another rider do you take any precautions and what are they?

Do I take precautions? Yes, I wear a helmet.... ?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

If you're asking about road rage, then I offer the following advice.

NEVER do things that will make other motorists mad... that includes

flipping the bird,
changing lanes without signalling,
and (for me) lane splitting. (especially outside of California where it's mostly NOT legal)

I think this advice applies to women as well men... but I defer to the better judgement and experience of the lady riders.

You would do well to remember that all cars outweigh you by about one ton!
You will lose most vehicle to vehicle fights.

Last edited:
sometimes it doesn't matter "if" you did something wrong, some cagers just have it out for you.
I've had several drivers try to run me off the road, or ride my *** when the lane next to them
is perfectly clear.
I'm not sure there is any clear easy answer here. stay aware, stay safe.

I'm not sure there is any clear easy answer here. stay aware, stay safe.

AGREED!

I teach a womens self defense class on occasion. Awareness is the MOST important thing you have in your tool box that is your mind.
It's a fact we get caught up thinking of other things while doing the mundane things of life.
Being aware of your surroundings is the first defense.
Removing yourself from any situation that doesn't "feel" right is second.

I often use this analogy of how women think. Have you ever waited on an elevator and when it opens there's one person on it and you get an immediate feeling of "not right" and get on it anyway? It's because we are taught not to offend (anyone).
A person is the only animal that will put itself in harms way on purpose (using the aforementioned example).
Societal norms are not how the bad guy works. You have to think like them to avoid them.
On the elevator example , when you make eye contact (and you know you will). Just say you're waiting on someone or another floor and be done with it.
Let your yes be yes and no be no. Good advice from a well read book.

"Constant Vigilance!" to quote another well-read book. It sucks to have to think that your fellow man has it out for you, but when it comes to our roadways, they do. The mild-mannered guy (or gal) who never raises their voice anywhere else, can become a berzerker when behind the wheel. It is like there is a switch that gets flipped when they turn the ignition. What really sucks is there are times you need to watch out for your fellow riders as well... Not all g.a.f. about others and fall into that "it's all about me" category.

And here is what is really bad - as a woman, you may want to think about making sure you wear the same kinds of cloths, gear, as guys, rather than form-fitting and open helmets. disguise yourself so you look just like any other rider, rather than a woman rider. It sucks, and in a perfect world, it would not matter. But we are not in a perfect world.

Don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself with gestures or vocalizations. Sure, you may need to honk or flash your lights to be seen, but some judgement may need to be used.

If you feel you are being followed or that you need to get off the road, do so in a populated spot (like a grocery store or restaurant) and park near the door, even if it is illegally done. The goal is to make sure you can be seen by a lot of people, and if someone calls the cops on you for parking on the sidewalk, you have a reason and any cop worth their salt will take the threat and your action seriously. When in a car, we can easily dial a phone. not so easy to do while riding a bike.

I have a Conceal Carry Permit, and I do. Every time I leave the house. It is a final solution to a problem I try my best to avoid. I have not had to ever draw, and do not ever want to. But knowing I am able to protect myself is peace of mind and I ride relaxed more than I do if I happen to not be carrying. Not everyone prescribes to this, and it is a to each their own. I have trained in the military (Marksman with 2 clusters) and keep my training up year round.

The goal is to protect yourself, and the most valuable weapon you have for that is your own mind. But you need to train it, and take precautions. "Constant Vigilance!"

"Constant Vigilance!" to quote another well-read book. It sucks to have to think that your fellow man has it out for you, but when it comes to our roadways, they do. The mild-mannered guy (or gal) who never raises their voice anywhere else, can become a berzerker when behind the wheel. It is like there is a switch that gets flipped when they turn the ignition. What really sucks is there are times you need to watch out for your fellow riders as well... Not all g.a.f. about others and fall into that "it's all about me" category.

And here is what is really bad - as a woman, you may want to think about making sure you wear the same kinds of cloths, gear, as guys, rather than form-fitting and open helmets. disguise yourself so you look just like any other rider, rather than a woman rider. It sucks, and in a perfect world, it would not matter. But we are not in a perfect world.

Don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself with gestures or vocalizations. Sure, you may need to honk or flash your lights to be seen, but some judgement may need to be used.

If you feel you are being followed or that you need to get off the road, do so in a populated spot (like a grocery store or restaurant) and park near the door, even if it is illegally done. The goal is to make sure you can be seen by a lot of people, and if someone calls the cops on you for parking on the sidewalk, you have a reason and any cop worth their salt will take the threat and your action seriously. When in a car, we can easily dial a phone. not so easy to do while riding a bike.

I have a Conceal Carry Permit, and I do. Every time I leave the house. It is a final solution to a problem I try my best to avoid. I have not had to ever draw, and do not ever want to. But knowing I am able to protect myself is peace of mind and I ride relaxed more than I do if I happen to not be carrying. Not everyone prescribes to this, and it is a to each their own. I have trained in the military (Marksman with 2 clusters) and keep my training up year round.

The goal is to protect yourself, and the most valuable weapon you have for that is your own mind. But you need to train it, and take precautions. "Constant Vigilance!"

I agree with everything you said, except the bolded part. Why are you taking all the fun out it? :)

"
I have never had to use a gun for protection of myself or others. I have used my physical training to protect others (mostly women) multiple times.
My training (not military) has me thinking of others first. I can handle myself fairly well. However, if one of those cage fighters came after me, I would RUN! as fast as an old beat up guy can! Those guys are monsters.

"Constant Vigilance!" to quote another well-read book. It sucks to have to think that your fellow man has it out for you, but when it comes to our roadways, they do. The mild-mannered guy (or gal) who never raises their voice anywhere else, can become a berzerker when behind the wheel.

I've been "hit" twice by motorists while bicycling... and it's amazing how kind and concerned they are after they hit you. I remember thinking.... how come you couldn't have been this nice person two minutes ago...when you were Mr. "Get outta my way!"

Interesting food for thought. And yes I have noticed the cagers are out for you. I was almost t-boned today in a shopping mall of an SUV that ran a stop sign into my huge SUV that is also RED!!! Go figure. I understand situational awareness but agree women riders need to be more aware than others. So far my travels have not carried me too far but I am getting the wanderlust for longer adventures. Appreciated all thoughts on this thread.

I don't think that cars are out to get us per se, but that there are many, many terrible drivers out there. The other day I was on a main road doing about 45 when a woman ahead of me who was stopped in a dedicated left turn lane suddenly decided she didn't want to be there so she pulled out right in front of me. I barely had time to react but fortunately the lane to my right was clear and I quickly swerved to just avoid hitting her. With my heart pounding I got up up next to her and she had a cell phone glued to her ear (illegally) and she was blabbing away not a care in the world or a thought to her surroundings. At the next stop light I pulled up next to her and screamed at her that she could have killed me and to get off her damn phone but her windows were rolled up and she totally ignored me and kept on talking on her cell phone. I really felt like kicking her car but I knew that would be stupid and probably get ME in trouble so I just accelerated away. It is clueless distracted drivers like her that I fear the most.

Ok I am learning that I must control the gesture of death. When I am cruising in my big SUV I have in the past maybe once or twice shown my distaste for someone else's stupid move where they pull out right in front etc. This weekend I had an idiot ignore her stop sign and pull right out in front of me. Well a modified gesture of doom arose (not death so at least some brain cells were controlling my id) and she gestured wildly back at me totally offended that I would one call her on her running a stop sign in front of me and signaling to her that "hello I am right here you _____________" Anyway it was at that point I realized that 1. I no longer have a huge steel box wrapped around me and 2. she had annoyed me but not caused a major wreck on a excellent test of my quick stopping skills and 3. Did I mention no steel cage to protect me. So I am learning body language control.

Back