• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Scottoiler eSystem ???s

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the first motorcycle that I've owned in the last 20+ years that has a drive chain. After 30,000 + miles and two sets of chains and front/rear sprockets I'm thinking of simplifying my life as far as chain maintenance goes. The Scottoiler eSystem has caught my eye and I would be willing to spend the insane $299.00 that it costs if it works.

"Works" is defined by me is that I no longer have to get on my hands and knees with rags, multiple cans of chain cleaner, and chain lube every other fuel stop. I tried to skimp on that practice one summer two years ago and toasted the chain in about 7,000 miles.

I am not just a fair weather rider, and do a lot of highway commuting so the chain is exposed to rain and high heat pretty often.

If you have an eSystem installed how do you like it and is it performing as advertised? Do you still have to clean the chain every 500 or so miles?

TIA

I've used DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver for over 16,000 miles on two motorcycles. I doubt I apply it every 500 miles usually, and due to its properties chain-chain cleaning is practically a distant memory too. Hope I'm not jinxing things and causing the price to go up ; }

It's more noticeable how clean things stay on the WR250R, which sees a lot more dirt and mud.

An oiler will simplify your life! It will keep the chain clean and always lubricated!

I can't say if it will really prolong chain service life, I only have about 17,400 mi. with the OEM chain since '12 and it seems that it has plenty of life ahead...

An electronic oiler like eSystem is not cheap but it's much easier to use and its performance is steady, independent from temperature fluctuations...

I may clean the chain once a year or more but it's necessary.

Greenboy: I've used the Dupont Chain-Saver when I first bought the bike since it had great reviews. What I found out was that the newer formula isn't the same as the old one. Not sure why Dupont changed it but I wasn't THAT impressed with it. Still had to clean/lube on my hands and knees too often for my taste. I'm a bit of noob when it comes to chain care so maybe that is also a factor.

ste7ios: If I could get 15,000 miles out of the stock chain without having to manually clean and lube it I would be happy. If the eSystem can do that by just filling the reservoir every couple of thousand miles it would meet my needs.

$300 would be tough for me to dump on something like that. IMO, regular oiling is pretty easy if you have a center stand. I don't clean mine every time I oil it though... maybe every 2 tanks I hit it with spray lube without cleaning it. Then very 4-5 tanks I'll clean it with kerosene then lube it.

Just get a little spray bottle and fill it with kerosene and order one of those chain cleaner brushes on eBay. The cleaning will take 10 minutes. Then give it a wipe and a spray as needed.

Put that $300 into some cooler farkles, cool new gear, etc.

If the chain costs $75, then the oiler is 4x the cost of a new chain at $300. If it doubles the useful life of the chain, then it'd pay for itself after 8 chain replacements, sooner if you count the cost of sprockets (assuming you get less wear there too). That said, you're talking nearly 100,000 miles at that point, so it may not be worth it if you don't ride that much, or don't think you'll keep the bike for that long.

If the chain costs $75, then the oiler is 4x the cost of a new chain at $300. If it doubles the useful life of the chain, then it'd pay for itself after 8 chain replacements, sooner if you count the cost of sprockets (assuming you get less wear there too). That said, you're talking nearly 100,000 miles at that point, so it may not be worth it if you don't ride that much, or don't think you'll keep the bike for that long.

Awesome breakdown. Was the type of response I was looking for since I'm a logical thinker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome breakdown. Was the type of response I was looking for since I'm a logical thinker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure thing. Still, might have some value if it saves you the trouble and actually works without having to fiddle with it, doesn't get in the way when you do need to replace, etc. Can't speak to those points, myself.

There are a number of great chain oiler products in the market place. Some are electonic, some work on magnetic vibrations, and some on gravity. The chain waxes are too thin in volume to run in any auto chain oilers. However, the waxes do keep all a lot cleaner. The Dupont Chain-Saver wax is very good. However, the chain oil (which is a mess to keep clean) does make the chain last longer. Lots of brands for the chain oil, but for the most part, they are take off's on 70/90 rear end oil. Thick 70/90 oil keeps the rear ends of autos and shaft drive motorcycles running for thousands of miles. The thick oil works in the chain oilers great. Lots of high dollar auto chain oil products, but really all is 70/90 rear end oil that you can purchase at Wal-mart for $5 a quart.

Last edited:
Have a look at Tutoro. No vacuum takeoffs or electric connections required. In my experience it dispensed the oil more accurately than a previously owned Scottoiler.

Thanks for all the replies...

My reasons for considering the eSystem have nothing to do with cost, but more about convenience. I rode about 14,000 miles in three weeks a couple of summers ago and chain maintenance was a bit of a pain (ok, a big pain). I know part of it because I'm a sissy that is coming from shaft drive motorcycles almost exclusively and hate, HATE the chain.

That is why if it works, I might spend the $$

Gear oil is rated different than engine oil, so 80 weight gear oil has the same viscosity as your typical 10w-40 oil. It really isn't any thicker, although it might have other interesting properties that a chain might like.

I thought about the Tutoro but I want to have electronic control over the flow which AFAIK you can only get with the eSystem. I will need to adjust the flow when running in 80 mph in West Texas @100 deg F and again when in Nova Scotia at 50km/h in a torrential rain storm @ 20 deg C and everything in-between.

If there is a similar system I would interested in finding out more about it.

Anyone out there have an eSystem installed?

I always assumed that the time you wouldn't spend on your knees cleaning and lubing the chain would then be spent on your knees cleaning oil off of the rear wheel, swing arm, etc. Some people value chain life and reliability over cleanliness, and that's fine. But, perhaps the electronic control system dispenses oil more accurately and doesn't make a mess?

But, perhaps the electronic control system dispenses oil more accurately and doesn't make a mess?
Yes! Well according to the literature and the one post I found. Rider thought he adjusted it and was putting too little lube on the chain because his swingarm, rear rim, and inside the chain guard wasn't covered in oil and a mess.

The chain looked practically dry and according to Scottoiler, with the eSystem it was exactly as it should be. That is my one and only data point.

Like I said in this or some other currently running thread, most people think they have to gunk things up. And if it doesn't look gunked up, they think the chain (and sprockets) are at risk ; }

I really hated the chain maintenance too so... I installed one: Scottoiler eSystem on NC700XD - Bodywork Items - The Honda NC Owners Forum

As you said it's much more easier to use than any gravitational oiler. You'll only need to adjust the flow for speed or rain. Not temperature. The flow is viscosity independent because of the pump...

For me it works perfectly! So good that I usually forget to check about chain slack... I only check the needle on the sprocket if it's in the right position...

You may also see:
400 Bad Request
PDOiler Products
Pro-Oiler, GPS Satellite Controlled Chain lubrication system for motorcycles, speed dependant,automatic, 60,000 miles, one chain. (it adjusts the flow automatically using GPS to get the speed)

Gear oil (for manual gear boxes) contains some EP (extreme pressure) additives like MoS2 which is very similar to chain lubricants.

From an engineering point of view a roller chain must be always fully oiled to minimize wear . Usually in industrial applications they use an oil bath or a combination with oil bath and other methods...

Also note that if you adjust the flow properly there is only a minimal fling, no mess at all... Nothing to clean.

The mess is caused by more flow than needed or improper installation...

For non electronic oilers this is a big problem because the flow (viscosity) changes by temperature so you've to adjust it more frequently. You have remember to adjust it as the temperature changes to keep a steady flow. No way...

As I said, 5 years now I never had to lubricate or clean anything (1 cleaning in a year or more doesn't count!). Recently I replaced the PVC oil tube because it was hardened by the oil and sun and had a small leakage at connection points... The cost was €0.70 for 3 meters of clear PVC tube.

I have the Pro-Oiler with GPS module on my 2015 NC750XD (my first chain driven bike after 20 years of motorcycling), and had it installed by the Dutch developer itself. It took him less than 2 hours to do that, easier for me and then I know the system will work perfect from day one. I previously checked out other chain oilers and Scottoiler's eSystem had my interest also, its display is much more exotic to look at, but Scottoilers advice to only use their special oil and that you would still have to change its oiling frequency manually when the riding speed increases or decreases heavily, put my off enough to go for the Pro-Oiler. I just wanted a close to the same convenience system as having a axle drive.

I've done about 4.200 kms (2,500 mi) and I love it. The standard setting (3) seems to be pefect and uses very little oil, every 8 kms (5 mi) a single pump stroke. When it rains I increase the setting to 7 and when it pours I set it to 9 or 10 (max). Or... Let the setting unchanged when it rains/pours and use the impregnate function once every now and then. However I mostly ride when it is nice and dry and only on tarmac, so I hardly need to change the setting at all. The Pro-Oiler reservoir contains 125 ml and is neatly hidden under the left top body panel.

Cleaning? I "cleaned" the chain once which wasn't even necessary as only the outside of the chain had some dust on it, the inside was still clean as a whistle. The main cleaning was the rim which has of course some oil fling off, but is easily washed away with just water and a sponge. Done in one minute.

Oil... Any oil will do the job as long as it lubricates. I use ordinairy Castrol 10W40 which I still had in the garage for my former bike. Its color is red and is nice to see in the tubing.

Mileage... To empty the reservoir I'll have to ride 10.000~15.000 kms (6,000~9,000 mi) but I make it a habit to top it up at the start of a new riding season (March). On average I ride 6.000 kms a year so then it is just halfway empty.

Thank you rpvanoyen for your comments, even though they ended up costing me a total of $266 USD which includes the GPS unit, an extra nozzle, and international shipping ;-)

After reading some really great reviews on both the Pro-oiler and the Scottoiler eSystem I'm going with the Pro for two main reasons: The chatter on the Internet suggests the Pro is pretty simple to install and when anyone had an issue the company seemed to respond quickly and fairly. Second, was the set it and forget it aspect due to the GPS doing the oiling calculations for me depending on my speeds....Sweet!

Thanks to everyone for their input...I think my days of hating on the chain will soon be over.

Last edited:
Well, congrats on your purchase! You won't regret it for sure.

As you are installing it yourself, the power for the brain of the system was tapped into the wiring of the rear light. Everything, well, the brain box, GPS receiver and pump fits under the back panel which is nice. The receiver is sensitive enough to receive the signals through the plastic panel. Apart from the small controller under the dash, nothing is visible. Sweet. As for the table setting, this programming would probably be done by the man himself. For the NC that is (with software version 6.0) table 17 setting 3. Best let him know that (the make, type and build of the bike) to be certain.

I have some detail photos on my MC's website: link. It's in Dutch but don't let that stop you... :)

Last edited:
I added the tutoro about a month ago. Doesn't sound as precise as the gps speed programmable ones, but dang, for $100 it keeps my chain lubed. I can adjust on the fly by reaching down and turning if i want. So far I am happy, my chain seems to be happy.

I received a bottle of the tutoro oil, but I am wondering what to use when the bottle is empty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manual gear box oil 75W or 80W. But be careful how the temperature affects the flow. When cold you may need a less viscous oil.

Back