• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 Auto Chain Oiler Review

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Review Summary
This Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 automatic chain oiler takes over chain lubrication duties while you ride your bike and it can help with the cleaning part as well. Lubricating a chain while the bike is in motion and the parts involved are at operating temperature allows better penetration of the lubricant into every nook and cranny of the links/rollers. Installation of the xSystem 2.0 was easy other than needing stronger tie straps and an extra P-clamp from my local auto parts store to ensure the tubing would stay away from my Husqvarna Norden 901’s exposed chain. I’ve previously run Scottoiler’s fancier eSystem on my 790 Adventure and have missed it ever since selling it with the bike last year. This simpler xSystem 2.0 will work just fine, but how close will it come to matching the more expensive and sophisticated eSystem I already know and love?
Ease of Use
Design & Innovation
Build Quality
Ease of Installation
Value for Money
Pros
Claimed 1500+ miles between refills of the oil reservoir
Optional expansion tank available (Traveller Expansion Bag) for even more range
Straightforward installation that doesn’t intrude on vacuum lines or electrical circuitry
Small size that’s easy to install discreetly
There’s a great database on Scottoiler’s website and YouTube channel with installation instructions/photos/videos
Durable design withstands off-road riding, pressure washing, high heat/low temps, heavy rain
Investing in a product like this has been shown to increase chain and sprocket life dramatically
“Set it and forget it” system takes much of the hassle out of chain lubrication maintenance, often resulting in less chain stretch/sprocket wear, thus fewer chain tension adjustments are necessary
The optional Scorpion Dual Injector increases efficiency over the single injector
The continual application of new oil to the chain causes road grime to fly off and help the drivetrain self-clean
Biodegradable oil now available
Manufactured ethically in Scotland
Cons
Sticker shock $260 US (as expensive as a new set of sprockets with a chain)
Extra clips/clamps may be necessary for installation on certain motorcycles
Can’t manually lubricate the chain after cleaning without having the oil bottle and priming plug on hand
The optional Scorpion Dual Injector can interfere with rear wheel removal/installation
Oil will fly off the chain and attach itself to the rear rim and the rear quarter of the bike meaning you need to clean off your wheel and bike more often
Limited availability of the xSystem and replacement bottles of Scottoil
Only Scottoil should be used in the device
Jim Pruner on his 2019 KTM 790 AdventureJim Pruner on his 2019 KTM 790 Adventure
The Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 and Scorpion Dual Injector in their respective boxes.The Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 and Scorpion Dual Injector in their respective boxes.
The three different models of Scottoiler auto chain oilersThe three different models of Scottoiler auto chain oilers
2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 in the mountains of Alberta.2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 in the mountains of Alberta.
oil oozing out of the Scorpion injector on the rear sprocketoil oozing out of the Scorpion injector on the rear sprocket
P clamps used to route the wiring systemP clamps used to route the wiring system
The xSystem 2.0 power harness connected to the Norden’s battery.The xSystem 2.0 power harness connected to the Norden’s battery.
The oil delivery line is fully installed on my Norden 901 with the chain guard reinstalledThe oil delivery line is fully installed on my Norden 901 with the chain guard reinstalled
The P-clamp installed with the oil delivery tubing routedThe P-clamp installed with the oil delivery tubing routed
oil flow rates chartoil flow rates chart
oil flow rates chartsoil flow rates charts
Made in UK stamp on the Scottoiler systemMade in UK stamp on the Scottoiler system

The tie straps that came with the Scottoiler xSystem kitThe tie straps that came with the Scottoiler xSystem kit
The fork spade-type terminals on the xSystem 2.0’s power harnessThe fork spade-type terminals on the xSystem 2.0’s power harness
The green Scottoil has the added benefit of the widest useable temperature rangeThe green Scottoil has the added benefit of the widest useable temperature range

The Scottoiler single injector nozzle (left) and the Scorpion dual injector nozzle (right).The Scottoiler single injector nozzle (left) and the Scorpion dual injector nozzle (right).
Comparison in size between hand and the XSystem 2.0Comparison in size between hand and the XSystem 2.0
Scottoiler new biodegradable green oilScottoiler new biodegradable green oil
Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 box contentsScottoiler xSystem 2.0 box contents

A look inside the boxes of the Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 and Scorpion dual injector.A look inside the boxes of the Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 and Scorpion dual injector.
The Scottoiler packaging expresses their gratitude for being a customer.The Scottoiler packaging expresses their gratitude for being a customer.

Scorpion injector installed on rear swingarm of Norden 901Scorpion injector installed on rear swingarm of Norden 901
Two pieces of rubber used to shim the Scottoiler System 2.0 reservoir out a quarter inch from the frame for clearance.Two pieces of rubber used to shim the Scottoiler System 2.0 reservoir out a quarter inch from the frame for clearance.

Closeup of the Scottoiler chain oiler installed on the 2019 KTM 790 AdventureCloseup of the Scottoiler chain oiler installed on the 2019 KTM 790 Adventure
Buy Now
RevZillaAmazonScottoiler

The Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 and Scorpion Dual Injector Come From Scotland

Did you know that the Scottoiler brand isn’t just named after the inventor and founder Fraser Scott? Nae laddie, the company is based in Glasgow, where these oilers are manufactured too!

Made in UK stamp on the Scottoiler system
Made in UK stamp on the Scottoiler system

Made in the UK? I think you mean proudly made in Scotland, sir.

My Grandfather (a descendant of Clan Macdonald of Clanranald) was fond of jokingly quoting an SNL character played by Mike Myers— “If it’s not Scottish, it’s crap!” My Grandfather passed away many years ago, but it would make him smile to hear me heap praise on the automatic chain oiler systems sold by a Scottish company.

Regardless of their heritage, many people find these chain oiling machines easy to like. I bet even the Brits have good things to say about Scottoiler.

My History with the Scottoiler eSystem​

As mentioned in the Summary above, I previously installed an eSystem V3 on my 2019 KTM 790 Adventure for a season and adored it. It unfailingly administered small drops of blue-coloured oil to the rear sprocket of my bike while I rode thousands of carefree miles. The eSystem all but eliminated the need for me to lube and clean my chain so long as I stuck to riding on pavement.

Jim Pruner on his 2019 KTM 790 Adventure
Jim Pruner on his 2019 KTM 790 Adventure

My 2019 KTM 790 Adventure and I riding off-road in the mountains of British Columbia.

When I ventured off-road for multi-day trips the 790’s chain got packed full of mud/dirt and the Scottoiler couldn’t keep up even with the system supplying oil at the maximum flow rate possible. It wouldn’t be reasonable to expect it to keep up with that barrage of debris, though. To counter this pile of muck at the end of each day I would clean the chain out with WD40 and then using the manual priming feature on the eSystem (called BOOST in the menu) I would pre-lube my chain for the next day. The Scottoiler would then continue dispensing oil at the normal rate during the ensuing ride.

Closeup of the Scottoiler chain oiler installed on the 2019 KTM 790 Adventure
Closeup of the Scottoiler chain oiler installed on the 2019 KTM 790 Adventure

That’s a filthy chain!

I tell you what… the only way it could have been better is if the reservoir was bottomless and the eSystem could’ve cleaned the mud and dirt off my chain. It wasn’t bottomless but the single 250mL bottle of blue Scottoil I had lasted approximately 6500km (~4000 miles) before I didn’t have enough left to fully refill the reservoir.

Have a look at the video I filmed of the installation of the eSystem on my 790 if you like.

This Year Will Be Different With The xSystem 2.0

2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 in the mountains of Alberta.
2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 in the mountains of Alberta.

My 2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 in the mountains of Alberta. Can you spot the Scottoiler on it?

My 790 was replaced last year with a 2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 that got the brand new Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 installed in it last week.

Scottoiler has two different delivery systems to choose from in their selection of 3 auto oilers: vacuum and electronic.

The three different models of Scottoiler auto chain oilers
The three different models of Scottoiler auto chain oilers

The three different models of Scottoiler auto chain oilers. Photo from the Scottoiler website.

I chose the electronically controlled xSystem in lieu of the vacuum-operated vSystem because of my positive experience before with the also electronic eSystem V3. Teeing into the vacuum lines of my Norden to power a Scottoiler —or anything else— also is less appealing to me.

Thank You!

The Scottoiler packaging expresses their gratitude for being a customer.The Scottoiler packaging expresses their gratitude for being a customer.

Scottoiler sent me the xSystem 2.0 and Scorpion at no charge for the purpose of doing an honest review, so I’ll happily oblige.

The Installation

It doesn’t get much easier once you have a solid plan about where you want the reservoir to live on your bike. A good place to start this technical journey is on the Tech Support page for Scottoiler where you can look up your motorcycle specifically to see what they recommend or to watch some videos with general information about how to go about it instead.

Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 box contents
Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 box contents

What comes in the box with the xSystem 2.0? See above.

Installation isn’t rocket science since the reservoir is attached to the bike using zip ties/tie straps (whatever you prefer to call them) and the wiring harness and oil delivery tubing is plenty long to reach across the length of most any size of motorcycle.

Comparison in size between hand and the XSystem 2.0
Comparison in size between hand and the XSystem 2.0

You can gauge the size of the xSystem 2.0 based on the size of my hand in the photo above.

I installed the xSystem reservoir on the left side frame rail right above the front sprocket of my Norden as opposed to under the seat as I did with the eSystem on my 790. The xSystem reservoir is about the size of two Snickers bars stacked on top of each other or 6” x 2” x 2” if you don’t often partake in eating popular chocolate bars.

The xSystem 2.0 housing was too chubby to mount under the rear seat of my Norden due to the amount of space taken up by the aftermarket Rottweiler Performance airbox I installed there. In reality, I don’t mind the Scottoiler where it ended up since it’ll be easier to refill the reservoir without having to remove the seat of the Norden.

Shimming The Reservoir Mount

Two pieces of rubber used to shim the Scottoiler System 2.0 reservoir out a quarter inch from the frame for clearance.
Two pieces of rubber used to shim the Scottoiler System 2.0 reservoir out a quarter inch from the frame for clearance.

Two pieces of rubber were used to shim the reservoir out a quarter inch from the frame for clearance.

I installed two pieces of rubber stacked together to shim the reservoir out about a ¼” because I need to be able to wrap the mounting strap for my Mosko Moto Reckless 80L Revolver luggage on the same frame rail. Without the small gap created by the rubber, the reservoir would sit flush against the frame stopping the strap from wrapping around the post.

The Trouble With Cheap Zip Ties​

Unfortunately, the tie straps that came with the xSystem weren’t Scottish enough to hold up to my Scottish-Canadian, heavy-duty mechanic hands. After breaking two of them on my initial attempt of mounting the reservoir on the Norden I tossed the last two straps in the circular file cabinet and instead used the good quality zip ties I always have on hand.

The tie straps that came with the Scottoiler xSystem kit
The tie straps that came with the Scottoiler xSystem kit

The tie straps that came with the xSystem kit didn’t cut the mustard.

This illustrates the difference between budget-priced zip ties and the more expensive ones, especially when it gets cold as it does here in Alberta, Canada. I would encourage Scottoiler to reconsider their choice of mounting straps included with their oiler kits. Happily, I can say the rest of the components included in the kit all rate top shelf with me.

The oil reservoir clips into a backing plate that is anchored to the frame by the tie straps. This allows you to remove the reservoir from the plate if need be, but there’s no need to do so in my mind since it can be easily refilled using the flexible 8” long filler tube included with the kit. Why else would anyone need to remove it?

Installing The Scorpion Dual Injector

The Scottoiler single injector nozzle (left) and the Scorpion dual injector nozzle (right).
The Scottoiler single injector nozzle (left) and the Scorpion dual injector nozzle (right).

Single injector nozzle (left) and the Scorpion dual injector nozzle (right).

Next, I sized up where the Scorpion needed to be installed on the swingarm so that both nozzle tips would inject drops of oil into the groove that runs around the circumference of the rear sprocket.

oil oozing out of the Scorpion injector on the rear sprocket
oil oozing out of the Scorpion injector on the rear sprocket

You can see the film of oil oozing out of the Scorpion injector on the rear sprocket in the photo above.

The chain guide on the Norden 901 prevented me from installing the Scorpion on the bottom of the swingarm, so I located a place to put it on the top side instead.

I think the Scorpion would lube more effectively mounted on the bottom of the swingarm, but it’s not possible on the Norden 901.

If I was installing the included single injector nozzle instead of the Scorpion I would have used one of the chain guide mounting bolts as a mounting point as I did on my 790 before.

After determining I had enough room on the top of the swingarm for the Scorpion to line up with the sprocket, I trimmed away the excess tabs on the Scorpion (used to better position the mount laterally on different kinds of motorcycles) and installed the mounting bolt, washer, and nut finger tight in the block with the mounting base attached. I noted where my chain tension adjusters were sitting in relation to the full length of travel and estimated it was about halfway.

Scorpion injector installed on rear swingarm of Norden 901
Scorpion injector installed on rear swingarm of Norden 901

The Scorpion has landed on the top of the rear swingarm of my Norden 901.

That observation told me to install the sticky baseplate (two-sided tape holds it in place) for the Scorpion on the swingarm in a way to mirror the chain adjuster position (halfway through its length of travel). This allows the Scorpion’s position to be adjusted both backward and forward to match up with the chain stretch that will come as my chain/sprockets wear and the shorter length of a brand-new chain I’ll have to install eventually.

Don’t worry too much if you mess up positioning the Scorpion mounting base. You can always remove it and replace the two-sided tape with fresh stuff down the road if need be.

Routing and Securing the Oil Delivery Tubing

Now that the main components were mounted on the bike it was time to run the clear tubing from the reservoir to the Scorpion. This takes some planning in order to avoid getting it pinched/knocked loose by the rider’s boot or burnt if it gets too close to the exhaust/catalytic converter.

The tubing shouldn’t be bent sharply as it exits the reservoir or anywhere else because it’ll create backpressure and slow down oil flow.

Choosing the ideal path works best if you connect the tubing to the reservoir and route it using Scotch tape (of course!) back to the Scorpion, then trim it after you’ve carefully measured and re-measured the length at least 12 times. You can never be too careful, right?

Aftermarket Parts Complicated My Installation Again​

Had I left the OEM front sprocket guard on my Norden it would have been easier to secure the tubing to it using the Scottoiler-supplied sticky mounts, but my Norden has a fancy Vanasche Case Saver guard on it. This fancy aluminum guard is smaller than the plastic OEM guard and that means there’s a large span of exposed chain where normally there wouldn’t be.

P clamps used to route the wiring system
P clamps used to route the wiring system

These P-clamps were the answer to a routing problem encountered with my Scottoiler xSystem 2 installation.

The solution to this hazard came in the form of some ¼” P-clamps I sourced from my local Napa Auto Parts store. A pack of 15 cost me $7 Canadian but I only needed one for my Norden. That means 14 of my friends can benefit from my spendy ways when they install a Scottoiler on their bikes, eh?

The P-clamp bolted up to a catalytic converter mount that was conveniently located right along the desired route for the oil delivery tubing.

The P-clamp installed with the oil delivery tubing routed
The P-clamp installed with the oil delivery tubing routed

The P-clamp installed with the oil delivery tubing routed just the way I wanted it to be. It’s not going anywhere now!!!
The oil delivery line is fully installed on my Norden 901 with the chain guard reinstalled
The oil delivery line is fully installed on my Norden 901 with the chain guard reinstalled

The oil delivery line is fully installed on my Norden 901 with the chain guard reinstalled too.

Connect the Power Harness To The Battery

Scottoiler gets two thumbs up from me for choosing fork spade type terminal ends on their power harness. It means you only need to loosen the battery bolts from the terminals to connect the xSystem 2.0 harness to the bike’s power source. Bravo!!

The fork spade-type terminals on the xSystem 2.0’s power harness
The fork spade-type terminals on the xSystem 2.0’s power harness

The fork spade-type terminals on the xSystem 2.0’s power harness (above) made the installation easier.
The xSystem 2.0 power harness connected to the Norden’s battery.

I would recommend taking the “do not cut” labels seriously on the power harness since adding connectors or soldering the wires in it can increase resistance in the circuit and void its 2-year warranty coverage.

Fill The Reservoir and Prime the System

Scottoiler new biodegradable green oil
Scottoiler new biodegradable green oil

Scottoiler new biodegradable green oil makes me feel a bit better about myself when I use it.

The last step is to fill the reservoir with the appropriate grade of Scottoil based on the temperature range you expect to be riding in. Your choices consist of Red (20-40°C / 68°F-104°F), Blue (0-30°C / 32°F-86°F), or the Biodegradable and most expensive and versatile Green (0-40°C / 32-104°F). Fortunately, all Scottoils co-mingle well and you don’t need to flush out the system if you switch colours at any point.

You’re only allowed to use Scottoil in these systems despite what keyboard warriors online claim otherwise that warranty will again be in jeopardy.

The green Scottoil has the added benefit of the widest useable temperature range
The green Scottoil has the added benefit of the widest useable temperature range

The green Scottoil has the added benefit of the widest useable temperature range.

I ran Blue oil in the eSystem on my 790 but I was keen to see what the Biodegradable Green lubricant was like this time in the xSystem 2.0. I’d like to say that being environmentally conscious was the motivating force but really green is just my favourite colour and it has a wider working temperature range.

How biodegradable is this green oil?

“In order to be able to claim any product as ‘readily biodegradable’ it has to biodegrade quickly and completely (≥ 60% by OECD 301A-F/ASTM D7373 testing) within 28 days.” — Scottoiler website.

Squeeze the Bottle, Prime the System

I filled the reservoir with oil, and then using the supplied priming adapter and filling spout I primed the system successfully and oil began trickling out of the Scorpion and onto the rear sprocket. Success!

The process can be seen in this video from the Scottoiler website although I find it interesting the check valve isn’t necessary with the xSystem but they mentioned the need to install it in the video.

Choosing Oil Delivery Settings​

There are 15 possible levels of oil delivery/flowrates to choose from on the xSystem 2.0 which seems overly complex to me, but variety is the spice of life.

oil flow rates chartoil flow rates chart

The chart on the right shows the possible oil flow rates. I set mine to deliver 1 drop every 20 seconds with three LED light flashes upon startup confirming my choice.

No BOOSTing the xSystem 2.0​

As I explained before when riding off-road with my 790/eSystem setup I would clean off my chain at the end of each day and then use the manual BOOST setting to re-lube my clean chain. I valued the way I could do this anywhere and anytime to match how dirty my chain was.

Unfortunately, the xSystem 2.0 is gravity fed whereas the eSystem has an internal pump and the pump was what allowed me to BOOST the oil delivery to the chain. With the xSystem 2.0, I’ll have to rely on turning up the flow rate to maximum (setting 1 with 3 LED flashes) for a while after cleaning my chain to come close to replicating the eSystem V3.

Auto On/Off

The xSystem 2.0 is super clever because it knows not to start injecting oil until after the engine has been running for about 30 seconds if my observations are correct. Merely moving the bike isn’t enough to wake it up to my surprise as was the case with the eSystem V3 I had on the 790.

To Be Continued…

Riding in the mountains near Canmore, Alberta, Canada is heavenly.

This review will have to be updated down the road with my findings because it’s only just the infancy of Alberta’s riding season here in the Great White North.

To date, I’ve ridden about 400km or 250 miles with the system and it’s too early to tell if it’s working effectively or not.

I’m also trying to bond with the xSystem 2.0 more than I did the eSystem V3, but if I’m brutally honest I miss the information display from the eSystem and the BOOST feature. The information display screen on the eSystem made it too easy to check the oil level in the reservoir and fine-tune the flow rate on the fly if need be.

Dollars and Sense

The xSystem costs $60 US less than the eSystem. I don’t want to understate the value of saving $60 US but for myself, if I’m already spending $260 US for the Scottoiler xSystem (plus another $30 for the Scorpion) I see more value in spending another $60 and treating myself to the eSystem V3 benefits over more Spartan xSystem 2.0… but I may change my mind at a later date.

– Jim

Pros​

• 1500+ miles between refills of the oil reservoir
  • Optional expansion tank available (Traveller Expansion Bag) to carry more oil
  • Straightforward installation that doesn’t intrude on vacuum lines or electrical circuitry
  • There’s a good database on Scottoiler’s website and YouTube channel with installation instructions/photos/videos
  • Durable design withstands off-road riding, pressure washing, high heat/low temps, heavy rain
  • Investing in a product like this has been shown to increase chain and sprocket life dramatically
  • “Set it and forget it” system takes much of the hassle out of chain lubrication maintenance and there’s less stretch meaning fewer chain tension adjustments are necessary
  • The optional Scorpion Dual Injector lubes more effectively than the single injector
  • The continual application of new oil to the chain causes dirt and grime to fly off and in a way the drivetrain self-cleans.

Cons​

• Sticker shock ($260 US— as expensive as a new set of sprockets and chain)
  • Extra clips/clamps may be necessary for installation on certain motorcycles
  • Can’t manually lubricate the chain after cleaning without having the oil bottle and priming plug on hand
  • The optional Scorpion Dual Injector can interfere with rear wheel removal/installation
  • Oil will fly off the chain and attach itself to the rear rim and the rear quarter of the bike meaning you need to clean off your wheel and bike more often
  • Limited availability at times

Specs​

• Manufacturer: Scottoiler
  • Price when tested: $259.99 US for the xSystem and $29.99 for the Scorpion
  • Assembled in: Glasgow, Scotland
  • Review Date: April 2023

Important Links / Where to Buy​

The post Scottoiler xSystem 2.0 Auto Chain Oiler Review appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

Back