• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

scratches

HONDABIKEPRO

Supporting Vendor
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my new nc got a little dirt road damage Sunday. The weather here was really bad high winds and rain, so lets go duel sporting. Well two hundred miles later, coming out of the mountains on a dirt road the gate was closed. No way around the sides, so had to lay the nc on its side and drag it under the gate, it was not pretty. But then we had to get my riding buddy's 1200gs under the gate, it weighs over 600 pounds, so i just hooked up the winch and dragged it under the gate. It was all the nc could do to pull it even with the winch, it just was trying to pull me under the gate, i also had one hundred feet of rope, but they was nothing to tie the nc to, but we did get the gs under it with only a broken bark buster guard and one bent mirror. I was glad i was on the nc. Dale

That is an interesting way to scratch up the bike. How are you liking the DCT off-road?

One of my favorite bikes. I have no problem running with my two friends that have gs1200a models, two years ago i had a gs1200a and put 38.000 miles on it in one year, about 14000 of road. The only thing i miss is the suspension, the bike was to top heavy, heavy, heavy, for a three week trip, camping only, it was 725lbs. I also feel anything over 800cc is not needed for off road riding, horse power is a liability off road. More important to me is tractability and were is the weight located, the lower the better. On my gs1200 and 1150 the abs had to be turned off in the dirt,or it would freewheel during the abs pulses. The nc at 60 mph on dirt full panic stop, comes to a complete stop with out free wheeling. I have a abs override but have not ran into a spot were i had to turn it off, of have had any problems with the linked brakes. The dct in manual off road is fantastic, i can balance the bike without having to move my left foot for shifting, fast riding is always about being smooth. The only thing i do not like is not being able to snap the clutch, to get the front wheel over a three foot high gate, and land on the skid plate, like my old nc, or my gs1200. Last weekend had to drag it under a four foot gate, because the gate was closed, and it was twenty miles back to get out, but the nc was easier then my buddies gs1200 to get under the gate, even with my winch, it was pulling me backwards, there was nothing to tie the nc to. The front end is a little lose at 40 to 70 on the dirt roads, i am making a steering damper bracket on the frame and installing a ohlins steering damper. I will be modifying the front suspension, and installing a rear ohlins in the next month. Dale

I figured the DCT would work well off-road. I've 4wheeled in automatics and manuals. They both have advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation. I think the linked braking would be an advantage on down hills since you get front braking but not enough to lock the front.

I'd be interested to hear what you do on the front suspension. Gold valves or the Intimidators are on my list.

0.jpgOver the years I have had to go over, and around a few obstacles, but never have I had to go under an obstacle. You folks in Washington state come prepared for anything! Good adventure !!

SmileyFunnyFace.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting for the photos of an NC with wheels hanging off the engine guards to make it easier to roll the bike under gates. (and it turns the bike into a trike when you are leaned deep into the twisties)

Dale, a question.

Many shy away from ABS for off road. You have done some serious off road with it. What is your verdict on this ABS / combined braking off road?
The older abs had to be turned off, in the dirt, the new abs works very good. The latest test on the new ktm, with abs stopped better in the dirt with the abs on, then off by a pro off road racer doing the riding, and was consistently better.
I have not had any problems with combined braking yet, with out abs it does not work as well. It is hard to stop the front wheel from locking and tucking under. I wont have a complete opinion till i ride it in the wet red clay, or snow. I tried to get up in the snow two weeks ago, but the road i wanted to go up was blocked about 8 miles in by a high line rig sitting in the middle of the road and logs pilled up and no way around. Hopefully i can get in the snow, in the next month and see how it works. Dale and i will hold your rack till you get back.

I figured the DCT would work well off-road. I've 4wheeled in automatics and manuals. They both have advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation. I think the linked braking would be an advantage on down hills since you get front braking but not enough to lock the front.

I'd be interested to hear what you do on the front suspension. Gold valves or the Intimidators are on my list.
I will use race tech I went threw there schools about 15 years ago, and do a lot of suspension work at both dealer ships.
I have ohlins front and rear on my xr650l and they are really good. Ohlins forks are on my list, i have the forks, and started to make new upper and lower clamps, but keep getting pulled away with other nc parts, i will have them on next year when i have more time to finish the parts needed it is not a bolt on system.
At this time i think i have worked out a way to get more front suspension travel from the nc forks. I will install a ohlins on the rear next month. Dale

The older abs had to be turned off, in the dirt, the new abs works very good. The latest test on the new ktm, with abs stopped better in the dirt with the abs on, then off by a pro off road racer doing the riding, and was consistently better.
I have not had any problems with combined braking yet, with out abs it does not work as well. It is hard to stop the front wheel from locking and tucking under. I wont have a complete opinion till i ride it in the wet red clay, or snow. I tried to get up in the snow two weeks ago, but the road i wanted to go up was blocked about 8 miles in by a high line rig sitting in the middle of the road and logs pilled up and no way around. Hopefully i can get in the snow, in the next month and see how it works. Dale and i will hold your rack till you get back.

Thanks for the input on ABS.

Thanks for holding on to my rack for a few days. If you shipped all your others and someone wants to see it feel free to break open my box and show it to them.

Back