• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Important Screw broken due to torque

ralphaxxx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey fellas,

as you could see on fotos, I have a broken screw on my hand. It is on the engine oil fill cap, so I don't know if I can even ride to the service.

What is the deal here?

Cheers and stay safe

RalphWhatsApp Image 2021-10-01 at 12.30.57.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-10-01 at 12.30.26.jpeg

Ralph,

Indeed you do have a broken fastener there but not to worry too much. The oil level is well below that bolt and the internal pressure of the clutch cover is not high enough to blow oil or oil mist out of the potential gasket leak. The sealing gasket goes all around the bolt hole to seal the clutch cover to the engine crankcase and should hold for a short period of time.

It needs to be repaired soon but I would have no problem riding the bike the way it is until I could do the repair in a few days to a week or so.

That's a huge relief for a noob like me. Thank you dduelin!

I actually happen to have a 1300-mile trip to Turkey, where I will do my 12,000 km check.

Do you think I could wait that long?

That's a huge relief for a noob like me. Thank you dduelin!

I actually happen to have a 1300-mile trip to Turkey, where I will do my 12,000 km check.

Do you think I could wait that long?
I would be more concerned for the function of that bolt in retaining and aligning the end of the clutch cable. The broken fastener is one of two that retain a bracket that holds the end of the clutch cable. When you pull the clutch in and release it does the bracket move around in any way? I have a DCT and there is no bracket on my bike to investigate.

I have no problem drilling and re-tapping bolts, but I'd be wary doing it myself in something both critical and expensive. If it were me, I'd think it might be a good time to pay someone competent to do it.

If you have a power drill you can remove it. Go to the local hardware store and get a broken screw extractor kit. It is not a hard thing to do to extract a screw. I'd certainly try to extract it before I pulled out a tap/die set to rethread it.

On a critical part if I could not extract it with my extractors then I'd take it to the shop and have the Honda dealer drill it out and rethread it. If the Honda dealer messes up the repair then he is on the hook for fixing his mistake.

I would be more concerned for the function of that bolt in retaining and aligning the end of the clutch cable. The broken fastener is one of two that retain a bracket that holds the end of the clutch cable. When you pull the clutch in and release it does the bracket move around in any way? I have a DCT and there is no bracket on my bike to investigate.
The clutch holder is moving a bit, when I pull clutch in. So in this case, I was thinking of tensioning the cable a bit more. Would that be a good idea?

The clutch holder is moving a bit, when I pull clutch in. So in this case, I was thinking of tensioning the cable a bit more. Would that be a good idea?
No, removing the play in the cable lever by tightening the cable could cause the clutch to slip with all those resulting problems.

If you try to save money installing crash bars your own and not have a torque wrench, you might also have the pleasure! ;)
Heeey, I did that to my bike too! Helicoils are awesome though ...fortunately I'd knackered the thread from an engine mount in an area which had enough meat to be repaired - by someone more professional than I :D

@ LearnedButt and melensdad: I was actually thinking about to try a removal kit, before giving if over to the service guys.

Have to decide I guess, if I let things go and let them do it. Or I try doing it...
You’re heading out on a long trip. Get it fixed correctly now-much better than having to deal with an issue on the road. Any problems you can avoid Before a road trip are good things to do ( tires, brakes, etc.). If anything is “iffy” fix it at home where you know the dealer/mechanic and can pick and choose when and where to do the work. On the road you can find yourself at the mercy of who ever happens to have the parts/skills you need. Most folks are decent and helpful, but there are always some who’ll take advantage of your problem if they can…

Back