• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat advice

jeremy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone! 1600 miles in and I'm loving the bike, but the seat is uncomfortable after a few hours. I am willing to spend 300-400 on something new, and don't need to replace the passenger seat at this time. Here are my issues:

-At 6 foot 4, I LIKE the height of the bike and have no interest in a seat that sits lower. I've read on here that the Sargent lowers the seat height. Have any other tall riders tried the Sargent and found this to be a non-issue?
-I've read some horror stories about Corbin customer service. Is this still a problem?
-I do not want to remove my seat and send it out to Seat Concepts: this is my only vehicle and I ride all the time.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd also love to buy used if anyone has a seat they'd like to sell. Thanks to all and happy riding.

I'm 6' and I'm loving my Sargeant seat. You get the front seat and a cover for the back that you'll have to replace on your own. But it is so much better than the stock. I sits about the same height and it has tripled my ride time. It's been the best investment I've made for the bike so far. I highly recommend it.

Seats are a personal thing...I did about 30,000 miles on my stock seat and then bought a custom saddle for about $465. It sits about 2 inches higher than stock and gives me more leg room and of course it is 1000x more comfortable. Russell Day-Long out in California built it to my specifications.

I have a Sargent and although it's better than the stock seat, it's more geared at constant long distant riding. (Meaning it has a butt cup that your butt feels great in, but if you have to start and stop a lot, the edges of that cup can get annoying).

I ordered a Seat Concepts seat a few weeks back and mine finally shipped. I figured I'd never use the stock seat, and I would never want to subject anyone to the pain of it even if I sold my bike so I did not mind destroying my stock seat to get the SC made. In about 2 weeks one will be for sale. Which one my butt will determine soon!!

The seat Concepts is a tall, wide seat which should fit you. You can order the kit and swap the foam and cover yourself if you are so inclined, thus there would be no significant downtime.

Corbin does lower the height some. I still hear their costumer service can be lacking, and you are still forced to advertise for them with the name on the side of the seat. Other than the Saddlemen, Seat Concepts, and Russell Day Long, the other aftermarket seats do not fix the forward slope problem that is a major source of discomfort.

Can anyone with seat recommendations mention your other, um, dimensions as well? Like, weight/waist size? I think that can really help decide if it is right for someone.

More than satisfied by my Shad with Sit & Fly (Sit&Fly) combination. Gives me enough of a butt cup to offer more support without hot spots, and without making flat-footies to the ground a problem for my 30" inseam. My Shad's already set up with the seat slope mod, but with this combination I don't know that I really need that. But since it's already done I might as well leave it that way.

I started tring a gel pad on the stock, then AirHawk 2, and finally and now on a Shad. So far, it is night and day from the rest I have tried. If for some reason it doesnt stay good, I will move up the line (Seat Concepts or Corbin). But(t) so far, the Shad has been great.

For me, I'm 5'9" (10" on really good days ) 208lbs (but hopefully back to 180 if these everyday gym visits would pay off.... stupid age...)

For me, all the seats heights are OK..

I will have to concur on the Russell Day Long for higher/wider seat and more legroom. Sadly the bad part with the Russell is the delay getting a seat built. I ordered mine just shortly after I bought my bike a few months ago and my seat build date they gave me when I ordered isn't until 21 June 2017. My seat build finally starts next week. If you order one be prepared to wait a while to get it. If you order you will be given a build date. Before the build date you have to provide them some pictures and a seat to do the build.

I have owned a Russell in the past and it was worth the money so I ordered one for the NC and now just patiently waiting.

I have a Sargent and although it's better than the stock seat, it's more geared at constant long distant riding. (Meaning it has a butt cup that your butt feels great in, but if you have to start and stop a lot, the edges of that cup can get annoying).

I ordered a Seat Concepts seat a few weeks back and mine finally shipped. I figured I'd never use the stock seat, and I would never want to subject anyone to the pain of it even if I sold my bike so I did not mind destroying my stock seat to get the SC made. In about 2 weeks one will be for sale. Which one my butt will determine soon!!

SleepyC-
I tried to send you a PM about your seat, but you mailbox is full.

Seats are so intensely personal I don't think advice is worth much. I was surprised that after the front was raised how comfortable the stock seat was for me when you read how bad it is for so many but after 25,000 miles stock I moved onto a Sargent which has been day long comfortable for over 200,000 miles on other bikes of mine, many days from 500 to more than 1500 miles. I've tried Russell DL seats and they feel like I'm sitting on a padded bar stool, not a sport seat at all, disconnected from feedback through the seat and thighs. I like a seat that is firm. I'm short with a 28" inseam and have no butt to speak of.

I hear ya, dduelin -- and anyway If I had a plush barstool seat after riding on a dualsport with a Seat Concepts seat (also equipped with a Sit & Fly over it), I'd find it too far apart.

People here are recommending the Shad seat, but I could not recommend the Shad to the OP, who clearly stated that lowering the seat height was not desired. The Shad does lower the seat height due to the softer foam that allows the rider to sink into it.

The seats I know of that raise height are Russel DL and Seat Concepts. Sargent and Saddlemen are fairly neutral as far as raising or lowering. Shad lowers. I haven't tried Corbin but it appears to be neutral or slightly lower.

Last edited:
I sure haven't noticed the Shad being lower when I'm sitting on the bike.

I'll chime in for the Corbin... I have tried most of the seats spoken about here and they all have their merits. And the statement that choosing the right seat is unique to the rider is dead on.

In my case, I had Corbin's on all three of my ST1100 and for me, it was by far the best seat for all day riding. The soft seats put my butt to sleep almost immediately. The big couch seats make putting my feet down a chore. The Corbin is VERY firm and requires a break in period. Once broken in, for me, it is a forgotten component and that is exactly what you want.

Here are some photos... Corbin Seats - Unboxing and Installation Review

I did 350 miles a few weeks back and my butt/back made it though that without a complaint.

My thought is the stock seat, Seat concepts, Sargent and Russel all need the front raised to solve the down slope issue.

My thought is the stock seat, Seat concepts, Sargent and Russel all need the front raised to solve the down slope issue.
When I sent in my photographs, measurements, and stock seat (they build on your stock pan) to Russell I asked them to raise the front a smidgen compared to the stock measurements. It came out perfect, no more shims!

Back