• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat advice

When I sent in my photographs, measurements, and stock seat (they build on your stock pan) to Russell I asked them to raise the front a smidgen compared to the stock measurements. It came out perfect, no more shims!

Yes........mine was not built for me, purchased used, so not sure how much front height was built in. So I felt it need a little lift in the front for my comfort. It now sits tall in the saddle;)

If you are handy, brave and can find a spare seat, you can try making your own. I picked up a cheap used seat that someone butchered in an attempt to make it more comfortable. I glued on some 50# foam, shaped it with a sanding disc attached to a buffer then glued on 2" of 15ish# foam. Covered it with vinyl and ended up with something that was very comfy but overstuffed looking. I always intended to go back and make it look better once some of my "flaws" required it, but I no longer have the motorcycle.

I had less than $100 into this seat and had enough material to redo it at least two more times if I needed to.

Seat 1.JPG
Seat 2.JPG
Seat 3.jpg

I'm 6'4" as well.... After much research, I decided with The "Russell Day Long"... And yes, they are not very cheap and it takes a while to get your seat back. I just got my Production date and it's for late August. But, I had a cheap back up seat that I bought on eBay so I can still ride. But from what I heard from sooooo many people, Russell saved their butts :)

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice. I think any seat would be an improvement over stock, and since I hate waiting for anything I buy, I think I'm going with the Sargent, which is in stock at revzilla. The slightly lower height hasn't been an issue for most, and since I was previously riding a Triumph Bonneville with a MUCH lower seat, I think this will be OK. If not, keep tuned to the forum, as I may be in the market for a Russell and selling off a used Sargent over the winter!

I just returned from a 2900 mile trip, traveling 430 to 260 miles a day and the shad seat while much more comfortable
for a short trip was downright painful on a long trip, primarily because of the forward slope. It is a great looking seat, doesn't increase the seat height but does not fix the forward slope. I will try raising the front now that I am back home. If it doesn't look right I will get a seat built. The bike ran perfect the entire time, got 66 to 75 miles per gallon. Ran most of the time 70 to 75 miles an hour. Bike is a 2017XD model.

I've had different "Air Hawk 2". My dad even using one on his GW and we are believers. On trips it's the only way to go. My longest daily ride is over 1100 miles in 17 hours.

I bought a Corbin and it seems to get more comfortable every time I ride 6' 235 lbs.

I have a Sargent and although it's better than the stock seat, it's more geared at constant long distant riding. (Meaning it has a butt cup that your butt feels great in, but if you have to start and stop a lot, the edges of that cup can get annoying).

I ordered a Seat Concepts seat a few weeks back and mine finally shipped. I figured I'd never use the stock seat, and I would never want to subject anyone to the pain of it even if I sold my bike so I did not mind destroying my stock seat to get the SC made. In about 2 weeks one will be for sale. Which one my butt will determine soon!!
Most custom seat makers will tell you that there is a break in period. My GW seat took about 3000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Shad seat for distance

I started tring a gel pad on the stock, then AirHawk 2, and finally and now on a Shad. So far, it is night and day from the rest I have tried. If for some reason it doesnt stay good, I will move up the line (Seat Concepts or Corbin). But(t) so far, the Shad has been great.

I recently returned from a 3000 mile trip in 8 days. The shad seat while initially more comfortable than stock had me squirming and standing up on the pegs. It was mostly caused by the slope into the gas tank. After returning I tried raising the front onto the top of the brace but that really looks lousy, like it is off some other bike. I think I know why Honda designed the seat with such an awkward slope, to make people like Me with a 30 inch inseam think they can flat foot an adventure bike. The bike itself was wonderful, easiest handling bike I have had.

This forum is full of good people and info. After all the great advice, I have decided to ride down to Redding, CA and have a Russell Day Long built. My Shad seat was an improvement over the stocker, but anything over an hour is still annoying due to the slope. I am also hoping they can build something that will make my wife a little more comfortable in pillion position.
I just need to survive 8 hours of seat time in my current configuration in order to get there. Road Trip!
>T

Last edited:
I bought a Corbin and it seems to get more comfortable every time I ride 6' 235 lbs.

I have a Corbin on my other bike. It does take some time to break in, but it's very comfortable if you spend some time on it. I did not need a break in period for the Russell that I have on my NC. It was comfortable from the get-go. I spent all day on it for 4 days straight.

I had a Corbin on my BMW K75RT. 30,000 miles later still no break in, hard as a brick and felt like it too. I also had a Corbin on my 650 Dakar. Yeah, hard as a brick but it was shaped just perfect for me. No pain and plenty of ten hour rides.

You just never know what will fit even with the same brand seat. Their customer service has a reputation for a reason, that they brought on themselves. Too bad.

I started tring a gel pad on the stock, then AirHawk 2, and finally and now on a Shad. So far, it is night and day from the rest I have tried. If for some reason it doesnt stay good, I will move up the line (Seat Concepts or Corbin). But(t) so far, the Shad has been great.

I am looking to get the SHAD as well, can you tell me, does it affect the opening and closing of the passenger seat for refuelling ? Also, how is the fit to the bike?

I've had my Seat Concepts for around 1000 miles now and it's pretty awesome. Only pain I get is from my hip but that's because it's bad. To my butt the SC was the one after trying a Sargent, Stock, Shad and finally the SC.
I'm happy.

I've had my Seat Concepts for around 1000 miles now and it's pretty awesome. Only pain I get is from my hip but that's because it's bad. To my butt the SC was the one after trying a Sargent, Stock, Shad and finally the SC.
I'm happy.

Speaking of, my behind doesn't really like the Sargent. I need to get that back to you.

I am looking to get the SHAD as well, can you tell me, does it affect the opening and closing of the passenger seat for refuelling ? Also, how is the fit to the bike?

The Shad works fine during fueling. I have a top box on my bike and the seat contacts the box minimally when the seat is latched up. It took about 15 minutes to install. Fits the bike perfectly. I am planning on going to a custom Day-Long to move myself closer to the handlebars (short arms) and to get a little more comfort for my wife. AT 65 years, we have both learned to value a well-cushioned seat.
>Thom

Agree with most of the replies. Most any replacement will be an improvement over stock. I put a Seat Concepts on my previous bike, a Vstrom, and loved it. So, I stuck with them and put one on my NC700 a couple months ago and still love the product. They are hard to beat at under $200. Much more comfortable for longer stints in the saddle. I stapled on the new covers myself (with an extra set of hands so not technically by myself), had no problem, and have no upholstery experience. Take it slow and it's easily done in about 30-45 minutes with a pneumatic staple gun. It did make my seating position slightly higher (I'm 6') so you would be just fine at your height. Whatever you go with, best of luck and ride safe!

Back