• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seeking helmet recommendation

yojimg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Moto Gurus! Last night on my way home, I said "Self, your helmet feels kinda floppy", so when I got home I tore it apart and realized that the cheek pads are pretty worn out and have lost most of their shape. On top of that, I realized/discovered that my helmet was manufactured in 2015, so it's likely due for retirement. I searched the interwebs for a new helmet and could not find anything that meets my needs, which is why I come seeking advice/recommendations:
  • full face
  • high-viz color (bright yellow)
  • internal sun visor
  • Pinlock included or available
  • intermediate/medium oval shape
  • hopefully sub-$400
  • quiet
My current helmet is a Kabuto Kamui which I absolutely love, but unfortunately OGK/Kabuto seem to have withdrawn from the US market (no DOT approval). Any recommendations? Thanks! Edited

The biggest hurdle I see with your list is the bright yellow hi-viz. I would want the same. Sadly, people must now have a tendency to buy dark low-viz helmets, as that is what I see primarily offered these days by helmet manufacturers. If you can’t find yellow hi-viz, the next best thing in my opinion from observations would be white.

Hello Moto Gurus! Last night on my way home, I said "Self, your helmet feels kinda floppy", so when I got home I tore it apart and realized that the cheek pads are pretty worn out and have lost most of their shape. On top of that, I realized/discovered that my helmet was manufactured in 2015, so it's likely due for retirement. I searched the interwebs for a new helmet and could not find anything that meets my needs, which is why I come seeking advice/recommendations:
  • full face
  • high-viz color (bright yellow)
  • internal sun visor
  • Pinlock included or available
  • intermediate/medium oval shape
  • hopefully sub-$400
  • quiet
My current helmet is a Kabuto Kamui which I absolutely love, but unfortunately OGK/Kabuto seem to have withdrawn from the US market (no DOT approval). Any recommendations? Thanks! Edited
Hello there, if you have not looked into replacement padding to find out if your current "brand" of helmet supports this possibility..... it could work out great! One more thought....obviously safety first, and only an opinion I saved a lot of $ with going with a slightly "heavier" helmet with exact and or better testing and preferred reviews than others 3-500 $ more. Good luck< Stay safe :)

Hello there, if you have not looked into replacement padding to find out if your current "brand" of helmet supports this possibility..... it could work out great! One more thought....obviously safety first, and only an opinion I saved a lot of $ with going with a slightly "heavier" helmet with exact and or better testing and preferred reviews than others 3-500 $ more. Good luck< Stay safe :)
Ps.... Look into HJC

I have a HJC modular, it checks all your boxes. Not sure how quiet it is compared to other full face helmets, kind of a hard thing to compare unless you have a LOT of money to buy a bunch and try them back to back.

I find it funny when I read on these forums how when a helmet is a few years old its not useable any longer.
Is there a use by date on them I'm missing?
Mine is about 8-9 years old, fits fine, the insides are still good, AND I intend to use for al long as it is still in good shape.

I find it funny when I read on these forums how when a helmet is a few years old its not useable any longer.
Mine is about 8-9 years old, fits fine, the insides are still good, AND I intend to use for al long as it is still in good shape.
Helmet companies like Bell did that five year replacement recommendation thing about 50 years ago. Despite probable advances in helmet materials, we still here this 5 year story. It must be good for business. Since people repeat it on forums, their program is working. I also think if the 5 year thing is true, any vendor selling a new but 4 year old helmet should discount it 80%.

I don’t buy into this 5 year nonsense. It’s like helmet makers telling us their helmets are so cheaply made they only last 5 years.

I just looked at the helmet I’m wearing now. I can’t find any date but it’s probably 10 years old. It’s never been dropped and still fits nice and snug.

It’s 5 years from the date you put it into service or 7 years from date of Manufacturing I believe. The reason being that UV light breaks down the shell and the glues and styrofoam becomes brittle over time and won’t compress properly after a while.

I've heard that before - yet like all things on the internet - do you believe it??
I dont.
And that being said - if a helmet sat on a shelf for two to three years in its box unopened, it would have to replaced in 3-4 years !?

It’s 5 years from the date you put it into service or 7 years from date of Manufacturing I believe. The reason being that UV light breaks down the shell and the glues and styrofoam becomes brittle over time and won’t compress properly after a while.
It’s odd that the claimed helmet aging rates seem to be universal across models, brands, and price points. So, on expensive helmets, why don’t some use better materials and tout that their helmets last longer, instead of using materials that supposedly degrade just as quickly as on inexpensive helmets? Often, people are willing to pay more for a product that they expect will last longer.

Why aren’t helmets offered for retail sale will full disclosure of manufacture date, and priced on an automated discount percentage based on their age?

I'm not much impressed with the 5 year thing either. However I do believe in looking after the helmet to ensure that the internals especially, do not deteriorate. That entails storing it when not in use in the airing cupboard or hot press as we call it here, to ensure that moisture from a days wear is quickly dried off. Secondly I wash the removable aspects of the lining fairly frequently. I also keep the outside free of bugs and dirt.

I have two helmets in current use. One is a Schuberth E1 and the other is a Bell SRT. The Bell was half the price of the Schuberth. The Bell got damaged recently and has been replaced with another. I will not be purchasing another E1 tho as, on me at least it is very uncomfortable after a couple of hundred kilometers. The Bell on the other hand is an all day job.

It’s odd that the claimed helmet aging rates seem to be universal across models, brands, and price points. So, on expensive helmets, why don’t some use better materials and tout that their helmets last longer, instead of using materials that supposedly degrade just as quickly as on inexpensive helmets? Often, people are willing to pay more for a product that they expect will last longer.

Why aren’t helmets offered for retail sale will full disclosure of manufacture date, and priced on an automated discount percentage based on their age?

The current 7 year from date of manufacture/5 year from retail sale recommendation reportedly comes from the Snell Foundation but I did not personally research that. If that is true it is noteworthy that Snell prominently distances itself from industry pressures and seeks to create crash survival standards based on intelligent design and rigorous testing. It is laughable to me that Snell would collude with manufacturers to come up with a recommendation aimed at selling more helmets.

The limiting factor of life cycle may be the universal use of expanded polystyrene foam liners in mass produced helmets for the energy absorbing part of the helmet. A properly fitted helmet is tight and and just using it over time deforms the closed cell EPS liner a little and the open cell foam used in interior crown and cheek pads a lot. Helmet in use 5 years don't fit like new ones do. Fit is important to absorb energy and keep it on your melon in a crash. Helmet on and off cycles matter. Hanging it on rear view mirrors or handlebar ends can make little dents in the liner which affect it.

Better EPS grades that may retain manufacture date quality longer don't absorb energy as well and can't pass various standards used to pass/fail helmets. The industry has sorted out a balance between grade and thickness of EPS that meets absorption requirements, life cycle, cost, and test results. EPS predictably degrades over time and loses ability to absorb the same level of energy during its life cycle. I theorize we could get helmets that last much longer but they wouldn't be mass produced in numbers ( read that as affordable ) and probably wouldn't be cosmetically unacceptable.

Helmets I have purchased have all had a date of manufacture either on a sticker affixed to the EPS liner or embossed on the riveted portion of the retaining strap. Not hard to find.

Finally, any life cycle recommendation is undoubtably based on worst case. How the helmet is used, how often and for how long, how it is maintained and stored between uses. Find your balance and happy place. I ride 20,000 miles a year so I wear a helmet a lot but I'm not a daily use commuter. I have more than one helmet so that reduces hours of use over 5 years. I live in a hot humid climate so that's that and I store it indoors in climate controlled conditions. A helmet I really like I'll replace the crown and cheek pads once or twice to extend quality of fit and keep it in service more than 5 years by 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:
Helmets I have purchased have all had a date of manufacture either on a sticker affixed to the EPS liner or embossed on the riveted portion of the retaining strap. Not hard to find.
The manufacture date may be easy to find if you’re holding the helmet in your hand, but from what I know, it’s not printed on the box, and not disclosed when you’re purchasing a helmet from an online retailer. In a way, it’s like ordering tires; you never know what date code you’re going to get, but the price is all the same.

dduelin - You speak like you are/were a helmet engineer OR have done a ton of research.
I am not knocking any of your post just wondering.

The manufacture date may be easy to find if you’re holding the helmet in your hand, but from what I know, it’s not printed on the box, and not disclosed when you’re purchasing a helmet from an online retailer. In a way, it’s like ordering tires; you never know what date code you’re going to get, but the price is all the same.
Capitalism is a blessing isn't it but you can't get a good price on tires or helmets unless you buy pre-owned ones. I hear there is a market for them.

I don't buy helmets online. Not yet anyway.

You could ask the online retailer for helmet mfg date but often the helmets are dropped shipped from a third party and that information isn't available as you point out.

Clearance priced helmets defacto are discounted and often NOS.

Back