• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sena SC10u problem with wind noise.

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1183

I recently purchased two Schuberth E1 helmets for my Wife and myself. I also fitted them with SC10U units for Intercom and GPS purposes. They work fine with the GPS but the intercom is a disaster.

The main issue is the Mic's picking up background wind noise from the vents in the front of the helmets. It is really really loud to the point that for me as a rider it is a serious distraction. I am on the verge of giving them back but if anyone has any hints or tips as to how to fix this I would appreciate hearing from them. I have tried various and many settings and at best have only managed to reduce the noise slightly.

have you try the noise control feature in it?

I have the noise control feature turned on. Vox is turned off. In fact everything is turned off at this point except the noise control feature. I have tried various combinations of settings all to little avail . The only significant difference is when the HD intercom is turned off. As such that feature is useless. Vox won't work anyway because the wind noise keeps the mic live.

Wind and microphones doesn’t go together... You’ve to change the location of the microphone to avoid the air stream or stop the air stream to enter into the helmet. Usually it’s the air stream that hits your neck the bottom of the helmet.

You may also consult the installation instructions of Schuberth’s solution, SRCS. Where do they place the mic?

Sadly the mic is a fixed item and part of a switch console affixed beside the left cheek pad. It is not moveable. However it now transpires that the hard body of the mic is actually touching the inside trim of the helmet when it is fully locked down. There is virtually no scope to adjust this as matters stand so I will take it up with the shop tomorrow. I suspect that resonance from the helmet is transferring direct to the mic.

For the second time this year my Schuberth helmet has been returned to germany although this time it is because of the Sena issues. However because the problem is difficult to pin down to one unit my Wife's Touratech Helmet (also a Schuberth) has gone with it.

It will be interesting to see how long this takes. Last time my helmet was gone for four weeks. Back to the old C3's then. Just as well I kept them :(

In the end the shop decided to return only the Sena Units so at least we have the helmets back. No point in speculating any further as to the cause of the issue. The good bit is that the shop clearly recognised the issue when they tested the helmets on the road. That is half the battle. In fairness to them they have been excellent in their handling of the matter. My only beef is with Schuberth/Sena because these are very expensive helmets and units, and Imho I am not getting the quality that I paid for. The helmet has been back to the factory already this year for another issue.

I will post the eventual outcome in due course.

Final update on this issue. The Sena units have been gone for six weeks. Nothing back from Sena one way or another so I have no idea what the problem was. I am told by the shop that the last they heard the units had gone back to Germany. The Shop has decided to refund my money and I have ordered a Cardo Packtalk Duo from them as a replacement. Needless to say this is very poor customer service from Sena/Schuberth.

I purchased a Sena 10 system at Americade two years ago. Nothing but trouble. Pairing is a pain, wind noise is a pain and the mounting clip is a pain. Both my wife's unit fell off and so did mine. For a year I duct taped them onto the mount.

Never again.

CB's with push to talk and intercoms with ptt is the way to go. My Gold Wing with a J&M microphone was the gold standard.

Back