• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shad SH-36 side cases

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my review of the new Shad SH-36 side cases. I like pics (or it didn't happen) so there's a lot. First off, let me say I really like these. The are top quality. They are easy to put on and easy to take off. The 3 point attachment system is they way to go. Simple and strong. Everything fits as designed. They look great on the NC700X. I put about 60 miles of interstate riding with them doing 70- 75 mph. The bike seems to be more stable with the SH-36's on than without them.
Ok, on with the pictorial and explanations.
I had them shipped to work and the guys asked how I was going to get them home. Silly boys, let a man show you how. I should mention there are two boxes - one for the cases, the other, the hardware. I put all the hardware that would fit in the frunk and the rest (the main brackets) in with the cases for the short 5 mile ride home
DSCN0713.jpg
DSCN0714.jpg

Pic of the hardware. There was 1 bolt and nut missing. I have lots so no problem for me
DSCN0715.jpg

The cases were packed well!
DSCN0716.jpg

The cases
DSCN0717.jpg

I always wondered how you load these without stuff falling down. They have a shelf! They also have a deep channel with a seal to keep out water and dust. I haven't been in the rain with these yet so can't attest to that quality.
DSCN0718.jpg

Here's the top bracket. You can see the two loosened bolts on my bike where the brackets go.
DSCN0722.jpg

Top bracket on
DSCN0723.jpg

Bottom of the main bracket. It only takes one bolt and is plenty strong. Then, the top of the main bracket attached.
DSCN0725.jpg
DSCN0724.jpg

Without the cases it looks good!
DSCN0726.jpg

This piece keeps the cases from sliding backwards
DSCN0728.jpg

This one key locks the whole thing in place. When locked, you can't open it or get it off the bike. The cases come with three keys and an extra lock (just in case, I guess).
DSCN0730.jpg

Here are some pictures with the cases on.
DSCN0734.jpg
DSCN0737.jpg
DSCN0736.jpg
DSCN0735.jpg
DSCN0738.jpg

Final thoughts -A very well made product. The price beats Honda and has 7 ltrs. more room on either side. Everything works as it should and went on with NO problems.
They are 45" across in the back (I know someone out there will ask that question). A little wider than I was used to. They could be moved in at least 1" on either side without hitting the body work. I make that as a suggestion to Shad.
I did see a kit with top box and side cases too. I would like to see a separately sold top box rack for the NC700X. Come to think of it, the side cases may be that far out to accommodate the top box racks. Since I don't have them, I don't know for sure. But it makes sense.
All in all, great job Shad!

Link added if anyone's interested in price
http://www.shadonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=D0B3600

Attachments

• DSCN0741.jpg
    DSCN0741.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,152
Last edited:
Ahh, a bit rich for my blood, but I'm not looking to add side cases at this point.

My Goldwing handles the larger loads, another spike in gas prices may change that.

I do believe you're right. Although right below the search is this-
Full Set Honda NC700 - SH36 Side Cases and Top Case

You still have to pick a size of top box. When you do that, the price goes to over $900

A little add-on here. I took some pics of the NC without the cases on and a couple to show how easy they are to put on (and take off).
The NC without the cases. The brackets really blend in with the lines of the NC
DSCN0753.jpg

I took this to show that I can still use my Givi 1111FZ monorack rails. I attached an aluminum plate as it's more useful for me. It took some finagling (sp? - heck, is it even a word?) but I got it all together and am very happy I can use both the Shad-36's and my top box rack!
DSCN0754.jpg

The part/hook looking thing goes around the up and down part of the bracket.
DSCN0755.jpg

This part goes on the top part of the bracket bar. It also has the lock part. THe lock is the part with the squiggly lines on it. The last pic shows looking through the locked part. Pushing down on the handle locks it into place. Its' very easy. Sorry if I made it more confusing. That wasn't my intention!
DSCN0756.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0757.jpg
    DSCN0757.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,168
Last edited:
Looks great. I'm glad to see the Shad hardware works along with your Givi side arms.

Yeah, me too! At first I didn't think it would. Then, after looking at it, I figured if I already had them brackets mounted to the rack arms, I could loosen the whole enchilada and (with a longer bolt) get everything to line up and tighten the whole thing.
Worked like a charm!

Very good looking bags! Aero-dynamic, clean looking mount.
It's what I would buy if ... well..
It's a fine looking set of bags. Good choice!

For the cheap among us.. you try... THIS.

I would think the extra lock is so you can rekey a Shad top box and have the same key for all three boxes....

Too bad Givi can't show that kind of consideration instead of just selling a three lock set, which forces you to change three tumblers instead of just one.

Good point, Mike. I don't like top boxes so won't use the lock for that, I like dry bags when I travel. I have a milk crate (say it ain't so!) that I use for groceries and transporting my chihuahua around town. It's cheap (like, free!). That aluminum plate is handy for strapping whatever I can to it.

Very good looking bags! Aero-dynamic, clean looking mount.
It's what I would buy if ... well..
It's a fine looking set of bags. Good choice!

For the cheap among us.. you try... THIS.

I like frugal better. I had some Tusk panniers on order but they kept putting the order back and back and back -well, technically they only back ordered them twice. But camping season is here! I HAD to have them. (Actually, I'm guilty of going against one of my life lessons. Confusing needs and wants.....).

ShadUSA has emailed a discount coupon code for the first 15 customers. Get 20% off the SH36 cases and NC700X mounts when ordering on-line using code "20OFFSH36". Limited time, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Back