• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shad USA seat discontinued!!!!!

Sargent seat arrived today. This seat is intended for models up through 2020 and we haven’t yet heard how well they fit on a 2021.

I can confirm it did mount securely on my 2021. However, the seat outline clearly is different and does not match the contours of the bike. See photos. If you don’t care about appearance much, it might be fine for you aesthetically. I’m not sure myself.

As for comfort, that is very subjective. It is much firmer than the stock seat. I think it will require a couple weeks of riding to see for sure. It has the padding in the right places, feeling supportive on the two pelvic high points in the buttocks. I haven’t test ridden yet.

I have to decide if I want to keep it and if so, I’ll spend some time with it and let you know.
saldog, your photo is helpful in that it pretty much illustrates that no seat built for 2012-2020 is going to fit properly on a 2021 NCX. Thanks for posting.

Sargent seat arrived today. This seat is intended for models up through 2020 and we haven’t yet heard how well they fit on a 2021.

I can confirm it did mount securely on my 2021. However, the seat outline clearly is different and does not match the contours of the bike. See photos. If you don’t care about appearance much, it might be fine for you aesthetically. I’m not sure myself.

As for comfort, that is very subjective. It is much firmer than the stock seat. I think it will require a couple weeks of riding to see for sure. It has the padding in the right places, feeling supportive on the two pelvic high points in the buttocks. I haven’t test ridden yet.

I have to decide if I want to keep it and if so, I’ll spend some time with it and let you know.
saldog,

Thanks for blazing the trail. Does the seat interfere with the frunk lid opening? You may want to send pictures to Sargent so they can see that while it may mount to the motorcycle, it does not "fit".

I am still interested to here about the comfort level.

I was going to purchase a Sargent seat for my 2018 NC750X. They told me it doesn't fit up good to the frunk on a 2018. I gotta wonder if it fit good to the NC700X. I purchased the Shad and I find it better than the stock for comfort. It fits up great. I notice the forward slope on the Shad that I did not notice on the stock. Overall I am happy with it. If they are not going to make them anymore it must be worth a lot of money to someone. :)

Attachments

• Cornicorpia.jpg
    Cornicorpia.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
For anyone who is interested, I received this email from Corbin today:

" Corbin Postmaster <[email protected]>
To:[email protected]

Mon, Nov 1 at 11:26 AM

Hi Brian,

We have a 2021 NC 750 in R&D right now working on a two-piece setup.
Should have something available in about three weeks.

Thanks for checking in and congrats on the new bike."

I am trying to get in contact with Seth Laam to have a custom seat built. Not having any luck making contact. I will give Corbin a look if I cannot reach Laam by the time they have their seat ready.

For anyone who is interested, I received this email from Corbin today:

" Corbin Postmaster <[email protected]>
To:[email protected]

Mon, Nov 1 at 11:26 AM

Hi Brian,

We have a 2021 NC 750 in R&D right now working on a two-piece setup.
Should have something available in about three weeks.

Thanks for checking in and congrats on the new bike."

I am trying to get in contact with Seth Laam to have a custom seat built. Not having any luck making contact. I will give Corbin a look if I cannot reach Laam by the time they have their seat ready.

It seems like the Laam seat doesn't have the break-in period of the Corbin seat. The price seems to be about the same. Only difference is you have to ship your seat in and you'll no longer have your stock seat to revert to. Have you decided what you'll do?

It seems like the Laam seat doesn't have the break-in period of the Corbin seat. The price seems to be about the same. Only difference is you have to ship your seat in and you'll no longer have your stock seat to revert to. Have you decided what you'll do?
I have submitted an online order with Laam two weeks ago. I have not heard anything back from them. I have not even received an order acknowledgement. I have read communication is Laam's weakness and it is best to call late in the day. That is what I plan to do after I get home from visiting family. My plan is to call this coming Wednesday if I don't return home to chaos.

If Laam does not happen for me I may suck it up and pay the price for a RDL. I have specific things I want in a new seat and I am not sure an off-the-shelf seat will be close enough.

I really hope I am able to make contact with Laam.

I have submitted an online order with Laam two weeks ago. I have not heard anything back from them. I have not even received an order acknowledgement. I have read communication is Laam's weakness and it is best to call late in the day. That is what I plan to do after I get home from visiting family. My plan is to call this coming Wednesday if I don't return home to chaos.

If Laam does not happen for me I may suck it up and pay the price for a RDL. I have specific things I want in a new seat and I am not sure an off-the-shelf seat will be close enough.

I really hope I am able to make contact with Laam.
All of the RDL seats I've seen are flared out wide and look very strange to me. I'm sure they're super comfy, but the photo gallery on their website is filled with what look like really ugly seats to me. Do they make more normal looking seats as well? The NC is a very sporty-looking bike and I think it needs to keep most of the seat shape faithful to the original. I can handle one a bit wider and taller, but not too much. The photos on Laam's site appear to have some seats with the wide flares and some without. I think it's optional. I like the Corbin look, but I don't want a really hard seat either. Hopefully, you get whatever seat you're going to get real soon so you can share with us what you learn.

All of the RDL seats I've seen are flared out wide and look very strange to me. I'm sure they're super comfy, but the photo gallery on their website is filled with what look like really ugly seats to me. Do they make more normal looking seats as well? The NC is a very sporty-looking bike and I think it needs to keep most of the seat shape faithful to the original. I can handle one a bit wider and taller, but not too much. The photos on Laam's site appear to have some seats with the wide flares and some without. I think it's optional. I like the Corbin look, but I don't want a really hard seat either. Hopefully, you get whatever seat you're going to get real soon so you can share with us what you learn.
The 'wings' are a RDL trademark. I agree it does not look that nice on any bike. Me sitting on the bike does more damage to the appearance than any seat ever could. :rolleyes:

As you can see from the photos on RDL website, the wings have different shapes depending on rider needs. They have a 'sport saddle' which does not add as much height as a 'day long' saddle. They claim after break-in it should be back to stock height.

I had a used RDL on my FJR and it was comfy. I am actually looking for a little taller seat so I won't need to buy lowered pegs. I was going to request +1" from Laam.

At this point, I would take comfort over looks. The price is hard to swallow on the RDL. I was hoping to upgrade to the GIVI windscreen if I can get the Laam seat.

We will get home from our trip tomorrow and I hope to call Laam in Wednesday. <fingers crossed>

Update: Got home from trip and called Seth Laam today. Great guy and very patient. We kept getting disconnected and it took 6 or 7 calls to get a solid connection.

He only responds to phone calls, he does not respond to emails. He said he would book me for a build date in early Feb 2022, he only does one seat per day. I expected it would be a few months to get a build date. He will email me some information with my build date and then follow-up with a phone call during my build to make sure he understands what I want in my seat.

He kept explaining that it is more involved than just ordering a seat online by checking 'add to cat', I told him I had a custom seat built years ago and know that it takes good communication to get good results. I mentioned it was built by Rick Mayer for my FJR so he asked what year. I told him it was 2006 or 2007 and he said he probably built my seat because he worked for Rick Mayer back then. Small world.

Anyway I am excited about getting a seat from him. I am very confident he can make me a seat that will work for me. The wait will be the tough part.

Looks like a quality product and well priced in my opinion. Strange service model where emails are not responded to. Looking forward to your first ride report :)

Looks like a quality product and well priced in my opinion. Strange service model where emails are not responded to. Looking forward to your first ride report :)
I thought it was strange, too, not answering emails, but even more so when I read, "He will email me some information with my build date."

Reactions: MZ5
Yes, I find it strange also. From what I have gathered, he is a one-man business. It makes me wonder why he has the online order form on his website.

Knowing he previously worked for Rick Mayer makes me feel good about his abilities. I know Rick had issues running the business which resulted in his demise. The seat I got from Rick was great and if Seth possibly built it, is a plus to me for my NC seat. Bill Mayer (Rick and Rocky's dad) is the father of the comfortable motorcycle seat.

As for comfort, that is very subjective. is much firmer than the stock seat. I think it will require a couple weeks of riding to see for sure. It has the padding in the right places, feeling supportive on the two pelvic high points in the buttocks.

Can you elaborate a bit for me on this, please? I know you sent it back, but the comment I made bold, above, caused my mind to think the Sargent seat had what I would call ‘pressure points’ on those pelvic bone points. Did it sit like that for you: Did it have pressure points on your pelvic bone? I’m not looking for a new NCX seat, but I’m curious about Sargent’s shaping philosophy for another bike.

On a separate but related note:
There has been talk in this thread of seat break-in, particularly with respect to Corbin. I’ve had a Corbin on my 2012 NCX for many years now, and tens of thousands of miles. I did a ride-in for it. In my experience with that seat, the concept of ‘break-in’ on a Corbin is pure fantasy. It’s just as hard today as it was the day it was built in 2015 (or was it ‘16? I don’t recall any longer).
In contrast, my Shad seat ‘broke in’ by feeling even softer than it did when new, to the point that I found the foam almost useless.

Seats are very strange things, insofar as how very different we each want them to feel.

P.S. I put the factory seat back on Wiley the other day, and was reminded just how atrociously bad it is. Even though I find the Corbin too hard for my liking, the basic shape is good and the materials and workmanship are quality.

I had an FZ6 that came with a Corbin seat. It felt 'broke in' and was very comfortable. I sat on other Corbin seats (newer) and they felt hard as a rock. Corbins have a reputation for being excessively firm. I wonder why they don't adjust their foam density to address this? I would think they may get more customers if they could get rid of that reputation.

I have a 2/7/2022 build date for a Laam seat. Can't wait to address the seat issue.

Back