• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705 long miles tread wear w/pictures

First time on the 705's yesterday. Quite a difference from the worn out PR4's that were on the bike. Just about crashed in the first corner b/c it turned in so fast. Only took a few miles to get the feel.

First time on the 705's yesterday. Quite a difference from the worn out PR4's that were on the bike. Just about crashed in the first corner b/c it turned in so fast. Only took a few miles to get the feel.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up.
I’ll be mounting mine in a month or so. Need to use up what’s left on my current tires.

JT

Have PR4 on my NC, plan to buy 705. So, very interested in the part "... b/c it turned in so fast...". Pardon my English, what do you, mean with "turned in so fast"?

e8a5606b4e3c71e9ed7e9cbb1aaf50c7.jpg
Sorry for the OT question: ricerooster, I can't see well how you hooked up your GoPro mount to the handlebar? To dark. Any other picture, please? Thanks. :D

Theese were installed at 38200 miles, bike currently has 48641 miles a total of 10441 miles on the tires. Keeping them at 36psi all around for a highway commute of 200 miles round trip and about 100 miles of dirt riding on them at 25psi. Front looks like they can last another 5+ thousand miles maybe, rears are done....
Front 130/80/17
Rear 150/70/17
I see on https://www.americanmototire.com/du...nko-705-120-70r-17-58h-front-e705-58h-mc.html the 120/70-17 size. But you bought 130-80-17 size. Any particular reason?

This could be a Shinko tire profile "trademark." The first 500 miles riding with a new Shinko Raven front tire, I had to recalibrate my riding style and force reminders on myself because the tire made the steering so light and quick. After awhile it settled down to be more normal. Apparently the 705 behaves in a similar way, but for sure all new tires seem to turn in more quickly than old worn tires.

Correct, new tires are different from old flat ones. The shinkos are quicker. Took less effort to turn, so I tended to oversteer. Seemed like I could actually feel the counter steer whereas on the old tires I didn't. It has to do with the profile of the tire. Just took a few minutes to get used to the difference.

This could be a Shinko tire profile "trademark." The first 500 miles riding with a new Shinko Raven front tire, I had to recalibrate my riding style and force reminders on myself because the tire made the steering so light and quick. After awhile it settled down to be more normal. Apparently the 705 behaves in a similar way, but for sure all new tires seem to turn in more quickly than old worn tires.

Correct, new tires are different from old flat ones. The shinkos are quicker. Took less effort to turn, so I tended to oversteer. Seemed like I could actually feel the counter steer whereas on the old tires I didn't. It has to do with the profile of the tire. Just took a few minutes to get used to the difference.

Hm... So, if I understood correctly, when you turn e.g. left, the front wheel is turning left quicker, like dive in, you have to counter steer to keep it to not turn more left? And you like it, and you think it supposed to be that way?
The reason I'm asking is because recently (last 3-4 months of riding, some time before this $^&%#$$^ snow and cold...) I recognized that feeling and I don't like it. My front tire didn't behave that way before. I feel like I'm gonna drop the bike, like it's diving in... And I thought it's because my front tire (PR4) is gone, cupped...

Hm... So, if I understood correctly, when you turn e.g. left, the front wheel is turning left quicker, like dive in, you have to counter steer to keep it to not turn more left? And you like it, and you think it supposed to be that way?
The reason I'm asking is because recently (last 3-4 months of riding, some time before this $^&%#$$^ snow and cold...) I recognized that feeling and I don't like it. My front tire didn't behave that way before. I feel like I'm gonna drop the bike, like it's diving in... And I thought it's because my front tire (PR4) is gone, cupped...

I explain quick turn in more like needing less steering input to accomplish the turn, and a light, easy feeling front end as opposed to a heavy, sluggish steering feel. So, yes, I like the quick turn in on new tires. I believe that’s how the bike is meant to handle, but unfortunately it only lasts until the tire profile begins to wear and flatten out.

What you may be describing, on the other hand, is what a squared off tire feels like. The center is flattened, forming a ridge on either side of the flat area. As you lean, the contact patch rises up on that ridge, then falls over to the edge of the tread. That sudden, non-linear transition makes the bike want to abruptly fall into a lean, which is not good handling. New tires will fix that.

Last edited:
I explain quick turn in more like needing less steering input to accomplish the turn, and a light, easy feeling front end as opposed to a heavy, sluggish steering feel. So, yes, I like the quick turn in on new tires. I believe that’s how the bike is meant to handle, but unfortunately it only lasts until the tire profile begins to wear and flatten out.

What you may be describing, on the other hand, is what a squared off tire feels like. The center is flattened, forming a ridge on either side of the flat area. As you lean, the contact patch rises up on that ridge, then falls over to the edge of the tread. That sudden, non-linear transition makes the bike want to abruptly fall into a lean, which is not good handling. New tires will fix that.

Gotcha! Now I understand. Thanks for clearing it up. :cool:

670 described it well. Much easier steering, so I tended to do too much the first couple of curves, mostly the low speed stuff.

Same [emoji1360][emoji16]
It'll be my first time mounting motorcycle tires. Heck last time I mounted car/truck tires was HS auto shop 16 years ago [emoji28]

Just remember, if it’s taking too much muscle to dismount and mount the tires, you’re probably doing it wrong. I learned that it’s more about technique and less about brute force. Good luck, and ask for help on the forum if you need it.

I highly recommend a real tire mounting lube like No-Mar paste, instead of the dish detergent some people use.

Last edited:
Just remember, if it’s taking too much muscle to dismount and mount the tires, you’re probably doing it wrong. I learned that it’s more about technique and less about brute force. Good luck, and ask for help on the forum if you need it.

I highly recommend a real tire mounting lube like No-Mar paste, instead of the dish detergent some people use.
Thanks for the tips, unless I find tire mounting lube in a brick and mortar for cheap it's going to be dish soap this time, I have to change those tires as soon as possible (current tires are shot) and I've spent more then I budgeted for motorcycle stuff already

I'll take my time and not force it

if you have tire warmers, they're hugely helpful in getting them unmounted/mounted easily

if you don't, get the tires as warm as you can some other way

if you have tire warmers, they're hugely helpful in getting them unmounted/mounted easily

if you don't, get the tires as warm as you can some other way
I'm hoping for sun, I've got a harbor friend heat gun [emoji848] that sounds iffy to me though,
I'm in California and spring is showing, the temps have been 50° to 80° (fahrenheit)

Back