• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Shinko 705 Tire Pressure

SlimDude

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Shinko 705 users, what do you recommend for tire pressures? My manual says 36/42 psi (front/rear) for stock tires for my 2012 700XA. Is that what you're using?

27 to 28 PSI should keep the wear patch wide and grippy for a bare naked nc700. As pressure approaches 30, many adventure tires get unreasonably slippery. When loaded down or riding double, 32 or higher may be right for you.

Got my tire from the dealer at 40psi. The tire spun the first time i pulled from a stop. We had a chat with the tech about that. Just a wee bit on the high side.
If it was a new tire, it likely spun because you haven't worn the mold release off of the tire....as happens with any new tire.

Tacoma fyi hardly anyone uses the mold release anymore. Maybe Shinko I don't know, but most of the majors like Dunlop Bridgestone Michelin etc do not.

Tacoma fyi hardly anyone uses the mold release anymore. Maybe Shinko I don't know, but most of the majors like Dunlop Bridgestone Michelin etc do not.
Funny I installed a brand new Dunlop Q3 on the rear of my street NC the other day and when I was turning it around to pull out of the shop, I gave it some throttle to ease forward, the DCT engaged and the rear tire spun and I literally almost let it slip out from under me. Now that I've ridden 500+ miles on that tire, I assure you it would not spin nowhere near that easily on my concrete shop floor. Something is on new tires, regardless. Everyone knows to take it easy on new tires until the "new" wears off, whatever the "new" may be.

Makingitwork blamed 40 psi for his rear tire spinning leaving the stop sign......on an NC. Not a literbike. I don't see 40 psi being to blame at all for spinning a tire on a NC from leaving a stop sign, even getting on the gas hard. Unless it's a manual and he dumped the clutch leaving out dragrace style, that is...

Funny I installed a brand new Dunlop Q3 on the rear of my street NC the other day and when I was turning it around to pull out of the shop, I gave it some throttle to ease forward, the DCT engaged and the rear tire spun and I literally almost let it slip out from under me. Now that I've ridden 500+ miles on that tire, I assure you it would not spin nowhere near that easily on my concrete shop floor. Something is on new tires, regardless. Everyone knows to take it easy on new tires until the "new" wears off, whatever the "new" may be.

Makingitwork blamed 40 psi for his rear tire spinning leaving the stop sign......on an NC. Not a literbike. I don't see 40 psi being to blame at all for spinning a tire on a NC from leaving a stop sign, even getting on the gas hard. Unless it's a manual and he dumped the clutch leaving out dragrace style, that is...
they do have oils in the rubber that seep to the surface when warmed up that need to be scrubbed off but they no longer use a mold release on the tread part of the tire, only on the sidewalls.

Yea, I seriously doubt if tire pressure was the cause of the slippage, but unlikely it was a mold release agent since they are rarely used anymore. * edit I was wrong above apparently Michelin still does*

as posted by mzflorida copied from the Adv forum in this thread

Dunlop:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle tire questions. Dunlop Motorcycle Tire does NOT use a "mold releasing agent" during the production of our tires. When new tires are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been covered. This will permit the rider to become accustomed to the feel of the new tires or tire combination, find the edge, and achieve optimum road grip for a range of speeds, acceleration and handling use.

Be sure to check and adjust inflation pressure to recommended levels after the tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in. Remember, new tires will have a very different contact patch and lean-over edge. New tires, mixing a new tire with an used tire, and mixing tread pattern
combinations require careful ride evaluations.
Pirelli:
Hello

Pirelli does not use mold release. Tires are shiny because the general buying public demands that visually a tire look cool, smooth, shiny, and new when they shop for tires in the rack at the dealer. We rely on the smoothness of the mold to get this appearance and to help the tire let go from the mold during production.

I like to say tires are like new shoes, MX boots, or a leather jacket as they need the proper break in time. Regarding getting heat into tires this follows the same idea, only time and friction will put the heat in. I have attached a copy of the brochure so you can read about break in suggestions in the technical area. Ride safe

US Pirelli Moto
Additional quote from Pirelli management:
First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."
Michelin's response indicates that they do indeed use an agent although I have never experienced this 'catastrophic grease' when riding away on a brand new Michelin
Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Concerning your question, Michelin has a mold release agent on all motorcycle tires. This will cause the tire to be slippery in the first few miles, but that goes away after the tire is scrubbed in. This normally occurs in the first 25-50 miles or so. Until then, the rider should use caution in riding the tire at accelerated speeds. Michelin always recommends obeying the speed limits and using care whenever riding.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call
Continental:
TractionSkin provides an extremely safe and short tire break in. This is possible due to the revolutionary raw tread surface, which is the result of a new mold coating technology which eliminates the need for tire-release agents.

New Shinko 705's and have 32 PSI in them for 1st ride. Bike is taller which i like and works well off road and on.
I will have to get use to how quickly they want to lean ether way . will try different pressures but they fit well and the suspension is perfect for me on this bike.

2.JPG1.JPG

Back