• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko Manufacturing

Neat!

I don't recall any longer (or at least not today): When Yokohama got out of the motorcycle tire business, did Shinko buy all of it (or did that become Shinko), or was it just some engineers, engineering, and designs that went to Shinko?

Neat!

I don't recall any longer (or at least not today): When Yokohama got out of the motorcycle tire business, did Shinko buy all of it (or did that become Shinko), or was it just some engineers, engineering, and designs that went to Shinko?
My recollection is some of the current (at the time) Yokohama equipment and molds were bought by Shinko.

Reactions: MZ5
My recollection is some of the current (at the time) Yokohama equipment and molds were bought by Shinko.
This is somewhat common for "discount" tire brands in general.
The winter tires I have for my car tend to use "last model's" Nokkian Hakkapellita molds (and a cheaper rubber compound) rather than develop their own profiles and manufacture molds. Cuts the R&D costs while still providing a decent tire. Obviously a budget tire, but SOME of the cost savings is from using a "known-good" tread pattern and existing tooling.

I tried to find a Michelin video to compare methods and materials but only found car tire manufacturing. Still pretty amazing how much manual labor involved in making a tire, er, tyre.

Are there any motorcycle tires made in the USA?
Looks like Dunlop are only tires made in the USA.....some riders call certain Dunlop tires Duncrap..... certain years of the NC700x came with Dunlops, and they wore out in 2000 miles or so....other countries made Honda replace those tires free of charge; however, the USA was not one of those countries....
Dunlop is the ONLY motorcycle tire manufacturer that designs, tests, produces, and supports tires in the United States:

Looks like Dunlop are only tires made in the USA.....some riders call certain Dunlop tires Duncrap..... certain years of the NC700x came with Dunlops, and they wore out in 2000 miles or so....other countries made Honda replace those tires free of charge; however, the USA was not one of those countries....
Dunlop is the ONLY motorcycle tire manufacturer that designs, tests, produces, and supports tires in the United States:
Well, that is sad to hear. I would have hoped the US could do better. I am one of those who call them "Duncrap". Never had a set that I liked, and I am not that picky about tires.

Well, that is sad to hear. I would have hoped the US could do better. I am one of those who call them "Duncrap". Never had a set that I liked, and I am not that picky about tires.
Their higher end Roadsmart line gets good reviews currently and in the past. Premium prices though.

On the older Ninja 250s, Dunlop supplied the OEM tires. The tires’ hard, low traction characteristics earned them the name Dunrocks.

I currently have Dunlop Roadsmart 3 on my NC700, with 12,200 miles on them. Getting close to the wear bars, so will replace once the riding season begins next year. I bought them based on the longevity claims and have been pleased with them. I previously had Michelin Pilot Road 4, and got about 11,000 miles out of them. If I recall correctly, the Dunlop's cost about the same as the Michelins.

Sumitomo has been the company behind the Dunlop name for motorcycle tires in N. America (and various but not all countries worldwide) for a few years now. Dunlop car tires here are Goodyear, and in one or two countries Dunlop is Continental (and India has its own Dunlop company)

Truly, Dunlop is just a brand name. Experience with them in the past, or in a different country, may well have little or no applicability across time or space.

The RoadSmarts from the past few years (in N. America) are very well regarded by everyone I’ve interacted with who has actually used them.

I understand your feelings but “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.”
Yup. I have had Roadsmarts on three bikes and they are an exceptional tire, IMO. The BMW R12XXRT crowd sure seems to love them too. But tires, in many ways, are like seats in that their evaluation is appropriately subjective.

I am one of the people that was VERY unhappy with the Dunlop OEM tires on my 2018 NC750X. However I have owned 44 motorcycles from 11 different brands and ridden several 100,000 miles on them and have been very pleased with Dunlops over the years.

Back