• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SHIOEI RF1200 HELMET - GAME CHANGER (For me anyways)

SleepyC

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap man... I have had many helmets in my lifetime. From $1000 Arai's to $159 HJC's and my recent purchase of a Shoei RF1200 Helmet has changed my life.
SO QUIET! It's like 35+ db's quieter than my HJC was... And comfortable. And the Pinlock shield that it comes with is amazing.

I have always been a fan of a good helmet as it's the most important piece of kit you have, but MAN I am impressed with this lid.
It also feels like if I go down it may actually protect me. Awesome quality!

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 11.45.58 AM.jpg

many time quietness has to do with how well the helmet shape fits your head.

quiet for you, it might be very loud for someone else

Last edited:
I have the Shoei Quest, a tad more affordable the the RF-1200, I rank it up there with my previous Arai, and much better than the HJCs I've had in the past.

many time quietness has to do with how well the helmet shape fits your head.

quiet for you, it might be very load for someone else

While very true, noise also has to do with the position of vents and the over all shape of the helmet. Since this helmet was designed for more of an upright rider compared to a "sport bike" helmet, it really deadens the sound. Also the removable chin curtain helps a ton as well. And mreic is correct, the fit and finish is awesome. Right up there with Arai. I got my RF-1200 on a blow out, only $385!!

Full Face Motorcycle Helmets | Motorcycle Closeouts

They're still on sale, and I just ordered a Medium. I have a HJC CL-17 and even with ear plugs, there's quite a bit of noise around the face shield opening. I would be thrilled if this Shoei is as quiet as my Bell Star from the mid 70's was.

Mine came yesterday and I've been out for a couple of rides with it. It replaces a HJC CL-17. I removed a 20" Madstad windshield and put back a Puig. After about 80 miles, with most of it on Interstate 95, at 75-80 MPH, the greatest difference between the Shoei and HJC is the aerodynamics. In clean air there's no buffeting around the helmet. Even in the turbulent wake of large trucks it's greatly reduced. The difference when turning my head to check traffic over my shoulder is night and day. My usual gas mileage, when there isn't a head wind at 75-80 is 58-60 mpg; today going out and back it was 64 mpg.
Noise: the biggest sound difference between the Shoei and HJC is the high pitched noise from the loose fit and gap in the gasket of the face shield on the HJC and the complete seal of the face shield around the gasket of the Shoei. Even with all the air vents closed, wouldn't use the Shoei on the highway without ear plugs. With the combination of my windshield, and how I sit on the bike (I'm just under 5'-7") the vent on the mouth bar causes a loud roar when open. The vents on the top add a bit of noise and the small vent above the brow makes no difference. The chin curtain made no audible difference.
The fit, right now, is snugger than the HJC and feels lighter. Nice helmet.

Mine came yesterday and I've been out for a couple of rides with it. It replaces a HJC CL-17. I removed a 20" Madstad windshield and put back a Puig. After about 80 miles, with most of it on Interstate 95, at 75-80 MPH, the greatest difference between the Shoei and HJC is the aerodynamics. In clean air there's no buffeting around the helmet. Even in the turbulent wake of large trucks it's greatly reduced. The difference when turning my head to check traffic over my shoulder is night and day. My usual gas mileage, when there isn't a head wind at 75-80 is 58-60 mpg; today going out and back it was 64 mpg.
Noise: the biggest sound difference between the Shoei and HJC is the high pitched noise from the loose fit and gap in the gasket of the face shield on the HJC and the complete seal of the face shield around the gasket of the Shoei. Even with all the air vents closed, wouldn't use the Shoei on the highway without ear plugs. With the combination of my windshield, and how I sit on the bike (I'm just under 5'-7") the vent on the mouth bar causes a loud roar when open. The vents on the top add a bit of noise and the small vent above the brow makes no difference. The chin curtain made no audible difference.
The fit, right now, is snugger than the HJC and feels lighter. Nice helmet.

Interesting. For me, I could not even hear my music at a 25% volume (keep it low for safety) with my HJC. With the Shoei, It's crystal clear and I almost can't hear any road noise. For me the chin spoiler was all the difference, that dropped any howl from my ears...

I will 100% agree the weight and aerodynamics are KILLER.. makes it so much easier to ride for long periods!

For fitment, you can get smaller cheek pads. I think it comes stock with 35mm, I'd try the 31mm.

I love my RF1200. Tried several different helmets and found that it fit the best. It keeps things pretty quiet (I also use ear plugs when I ride other than just down to the pizza place a few minutes away to get a slice). I figured that the noise I always heard was just normal helmet noise, until I stood up to stretch my legs during a ride and got out of the wind my stock windshield was producing and directing right at my helmet. Then I learned how quiet the helmet really was. And that I need to invest in an aftermarket windshield soon.

My usual gas mileage, when there isn't a head wind at 75-80 is 58-60 mpg; today going out and back it was 64 mpg.
Not thinking that any helmet save for the one below is going to affect fuel economy to that degree, sorry ; } ...too many variables in such a "test". The rest sounds good though : }

latest

I love my 1200 as well. I've really found no negatives. The pinlock (two layer) visor setup is awesome. We get some moisture in the air and cold weather here in the NW and I never have to deal with fogging.
>T

thinking of a new lid myself. been reading reviews and thinking Shoei. Currently have a Gmax modular. I like the internal visor. don't really need the modular flip up, but going to the air for the internal sunshield is pricy. The Gmax [$160]is ok, but the air vent closers are really cheap and the helmet is noisy, even with plugs . looking for a quieter helmet.
Best Shoei prices I've found.
motorcyclegear.com closeouts.Quest $292, RF-1200 $379.
chromeburner Gt-Air $502

Last edited:
I've got the Shoei GT-Air new this spring. Last year I wore a Nolan N86. Feature-wise they are comparable. The Shoei might be quieter. The only problem with the Nolan was that I could not mount my Sena 20s to it. Nolan makes a nice helmet. I'm happy with the GT-Air.

Last edited:
I have a Shoei Neotec, the modular one.
I like being able to talk or breath quickly.
It is not as safe as a full face due to the chin bar hinge, but I accept that.

I had a Shoei GT Air with graphics that was stolen so replaced it with a cheaper HJC IS Max II Modular (about $200), as I had to have a helmet ASAP. My very old backup Shoei TZR had vinyl that was disintegrating, leaving little specks of black crap in my hair.

I like the modular only because it doesn't mess up my hair as much as a full face helmet, but it was like going from a Cadillac to a Ford. The HJC has a drop-down visor, but the lever is located on the top instead of the side and the tint on it is not dark enough.
The chin vent is cheap and loose, so I constantly have to check it to see if it's open. It can move by blowing on it, it's so cheap!

With my GT-Air, just riding through the parking garage at work, I can feel air come in through the forehead vents. Can't feel anything with the cheaper helmet. It also has a Pinlock (that cost extra) but it doesn't cover the whole faceshield. It stops about 1 inch from the top, so if I'm leaning forward at all I'm looking right through the line at the top of the Pinlock. It fogged up like crazy with out it.
The GT-Air comes with everything. It also came with a breath guard, which I always used.
I could never even think of trying to get my head inside the GT-Air with the chin guard in place, so I will take a look at the Shoei Modular this Fall. I try to get new helmets at the International Bike show, where I can save about $100.

Back