• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shoei RF1200

Cyclerosis

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Every time I pick up my tattered old Shoei TZ1, I think, "man I need a new lid". So for the past few days I've been researching newer models and decided to spring for the RF1200. Since I ordered it on line, I'll have to wait a few days, and, while this isn't a review yet, I was hoping to hear if any of the members here have this particular helmet; and would they care to elaborate on how well it performs with regard to venting, wind noise (especially wind noise) and wind drag?

I'd really appreciate hearing the experience of actual users, as opposed to the salesmen reviews I've had to watch.

I had a Shoei RF900 for many years and finally had to buy a new helmet. I couldn't decide between the Shoei RF1200 and the Shoei Qwest. I like the quietness of my "old" 900 but was assured by others that the Qwest was superior to the RF in noise and wind suppression. I finally bought the Qwest because I like the color and the fit better, size XXL, than the RF.
After riding with the Qwest I'm very happy. I didn't have an opportunity to ride with the RF1200, but it is probably just as good. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the RF, I really like my RF900 for many years.

I really like my RF900 for many years.

Same here with the TZ1. I think the sales demo guy on youtube compared the RF1200 to the Quest in quietness. Plus the 1200 comes with the pinlock anti fog shield and fully removable interior. Looking forward to it. Funny though, they probably won't even accept my old Shoei at the local riding school. It's that bad! I did shampoo it a couple weeks back though. :eek:

A few rides and making some comparisons to my old helmet. Things I like:
1. It's new
2. Hard to know if wind noise is less since I wear earplugs and ride with the shield cracked.
3. Better aerodynamic design; I watched as debris and bugs were swept over, or to the side of the helmet. Really nice!
4. Tested for and noticed how good the ventilation is with the shield closed.
5. Comes with pin-lock.
6. Excellent peripheral line of sight.
Things I don't much like:
1. Less line of downward sight; instead of a glance, you have to actually look down to check your speed or rpm.
2. Helmet seems to fit more like a hat instead of a helmet. ? Does that even make sense? Best described by comparison I guess. The old TZ1 seemed to fit lower toward the shoulder, whereas the RF1200 fits higher.

Bottom line for me is it fits perfect and should get me through another 10 or so years. (TZ1 is about 12 years old) Plus, like I mentioned above, the aerodynamic shape makes the air less turbulent around the head. There's no wind slam when you glance around to change lanes. And it's DOT and Snell Foundation - Motorcycle Standards Comparison Snell vs DOT approved.

I have been told by a couple of helmet sells reps that the styrofoam liner in a motorcycle helmet is good for 5 years. The date of manufacture is inside the helmet.

I finally bought the Qwest because I like the color and the fit better, size XXL, than the RF.
After riding with the Qwest I'm very happy.

Hi pismo and ronsaw... After a 200 mile ride with ear plugs in, my ears were ringing, so I'm thinking about a better helmet, but I want it to fit in the frunk... Does your quest XXL fit?

Thanks!
Rob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi pismo and ronsaw... After a 200 mile ride with ear plugs in, my ears were ringing, so I'm thinking about a better helmet, but I want it to fit in the frunk... Does your quest XXL fit?

Thanks!
Rob
Rob,
To tell you the truth I have never tried my XXL Quest in the frunk. But I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.
Maybe Ron has?

Thanks!
Rob

No, the XXL will NOT fit in the frunk.

Dang... So one last chance... I just read "old guys rule" in the "does it fit" helmet thread. He suggested removing the document holder at the bottom of the frunk. When I did that (I also removed the battery cover) my airmada 2XL which was not even close just about fits. So if it's important for you to get it in the frunk.... It might be worth another shot ☺

Back