• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

shortening honda screen

paul700

Reaction score
Visit site
hi everyone has anybody tried cutting the honda touring screen down a bit to ease the buffetting. I dont get any with the standard one but loads with the touring one i bought it mainly for the support bar for my sat nav and the looks thanks paul.

Not the Honda screen but I've cut lots of others over the years. Sometimes I've had better results removing lower portions of a screen to help promote laminar flow past the upper part.

I guess you can let us know how it turns out. I'm still looking for a solution that doesn't involve attaching a barn door to the front of the bike.

I ran the NC700X without the stock shield - no shield at all - and the air was quiet and clean. I was thinking of making a custom shorter than stock screen by softening a sheet of plastic in the oven and bending it to get the curve, then cutting it to a shape shorter than stock. It would be my summer screen.

Anyway you might want to check out this detailed post about windscreen height reduction: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/683-extreme-farkling-windshield-height-reduction.html

Greg

Last edited:
I've cut many a screen. I get in a cold cool place. If doing this when it's hot, the plastic cut cools too fast. I tape both sides of the shield with removable masking tape to prevent any scratches. The blue stuff won't stick, so I use a good masking tape.
I draw my line, then cut it with a table scroll saw plastic blade at low speed. When done it breaks off at the cut. I then get a palm sander and sand the top and make smooth and take off any sharp edge. When done I remove all the tape and clean shield with plastic glass cleaner.
My recommendation is one of three fixes. Go taller to through the wind over helment, or cut a wide diamond near the bottom as "nodirtburt" recommends above, or cut lower so wind is hitting just above the neck into the full face helmet. Sadly there is never a quick solution. Each needs adjustment to meet rider measurements. good luck.

Hi thanks everybody for your suggestions i'm still trying other things before cutting the screen been taping underneath the ducktail at the front helped a bit next thing i'm going to try is taking the mudguard off and trying that just eliminating things one at a time i'll get there in the end' thanks for everthing paul.

Before I bought my bike I test road the X with and without the Honda tall screen. With the tall screen I noticed a bit of buffetting so when for the standard X and then bought a Skidmarx tall screen later. It fits on to the same fittings and I've not had any buffetting. I'm 6' if that helps with your decesions

Hey Lee ...

Great advice and write-up on cutting a windscreen ..... How did the Givi work out at the new shorter height ??

Thanks ...

I am happy with it. I have found over my 35 years of this that tall windshields that are not part of a complete fairing system will increase buffeting and noise. I have been happiest with a full-face helmet in the undisturbed windstream. Reducing the Givi height lowered the turbulence zone to below my neck. I use the windscreen only to keep the wind blast off of my torso. It eliminates the long distance fatigue of hanging on to the bars while the wind tries to blow me off the back.

I've heard from lots of people who say they had gotten still quiet air from a tall shield. I won't dispute them, but it has never happened to me. I once took a new tall Parabellum shield off of my R100GS/PD and strapped it to the back seat because the turbulence was trying to twist my neck off. It got sold and a short shield replaced it.

I just replaced my CalSci medium shield that was shattered when I high-sided with a CalSci Sport model that's about 1.5 inches shorter than the medium. It moved the wind blast from just skimming the top of my helmet to just about eyebrow level on my new helmet's face shield. A little noisier, but it's a different helmet, not the one that I was wearing when I oops'd. I guess the extra noise could as easily come from the fact that the new helmet's an HJC IS-MAX, not the Shoei Neotec I had. No noticeable turbulence in either case, although I know I'll feel the extra wind push in the back of my neck over time...

Considering where I live (US desert southwest), I've been thinking about reverting to the stock Honda screen for summertime use, on the theory that more wind is better when it's hot. Of course, I'll also be trying out the LDComfort sleeves I bought to use with my textile jacket with the sleeve vents, since LDComfort says that you can keep cooler using their wetted sleeves in a vented jacket than by using a complete mesh jacket and lots of wind. If the sleeves work out, I can probably just keep the CalSci screen in place full time.

Beemerphile, have you retained your shortened Givi screen as the screen of choice? How much did you lop off? Are you using the upper or lower holes? What advantage does the Givi have over the stock short shield? Do you think the added width helped any?

Sorry for all the questions. I personally think the Givi has a much cleaner look to it than the Honda touring screen. The lines are simple, no rubber edging, and the lower black-out affect hides the hardware behind it.

Greg

Beemerphile, have you retained your shortened Givi screen as the screen of choice? How much did you lop off? Are you using the upper or lower holes? What advantage does the Givi have over the stock short shield? Do you think the added width helped any?

Sorry for all the questions. I personally think the Givi has a much cleaner look to it than the Honda touring screen. The lines are simple, no rubber edging, and the lower black-out affect hides the hardware behind it.

Greg

Greg

The shortened Givi is a keeper for me. I lopped off two inches. Doesn't mean that is the right amount for you. Even two people with the same height can have different torso height, posture, seat changes, etc. I like the process used at the Calsci web site for determining height. I like the Giv for the extra width. I like my helmet in undisturbed airflow, and I want the shield to remove body blast. The wider shield works better, and I trimmed it to put the turbulence zone below my neck.

Last edited:
As a last ditch effort for the Honda tall screen, I bought the bruudt windscreen adjuster, hopefully I can get another inch or two of clean air to clear the helmet.. Right now if I stoop a little I have a nice quiet/smooth ride.

Hopefully won't take two weeks to ship.

Back