• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shots Fired: Yamaha FZ-07

At the end of the day the MT07 is a medium sized sports machine the NC isn't, it's as simple as that. If you want a real sporty machine go and buy an MT07.
I looked at one at a bike show and although it wasn't bad, the things I didn't like we're the styling. It doesn't flow like a lot of naked machines these days, they seem to adorn bikes with bits of plastic stuck on the side. The other bit is I thought some parts looked a little cheap. The engine is a pearl though.

Last edited:
The only truly direct competition for the FZ-07 that I can think of off the top of my head are the Triumph street triple and the KTM 690 Duke (at least I think that's the KTM model name). There are probably others, but I can't think of any at the moment. At any rate the motorcycle reviewers started calling the Speed Triple a "Street Fighter" several years back and these days they seem to use the term for any short wheelbase narrowly focused naked sport bike. Definitely a niche market but the Triumph Speed Triple and Street Triple sell pretty well and it looks to me like Yamaha wants a piece of that pie.

I think of the NC as a niche bike also, but at the other end of the functional spectrum.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bob

Got this on Google plus todayhttp://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/06/05/manufacturers/yamaha/yamaha-fz-07-available-stateside-july/

Not one comment on the You tube video yet?

Technically it's not the original video (FZ07.org just reloaded it). Honestly I searched and couldn't find where Yamaha originally uploaded it so I just posted FZ07.org's reupload. I'm sure the original video has plenty of comments. There's a thread on ADVRider with people going back and forth about the video as well (people keep throwing around that the NC is boring and overweight, that's about all they have to work with in their arguments lol).

Yamaha FZ-07 vs Honda NC700X - ADVrider

Last edited:
I guess I've grown up too much. All the stupid comparisons just make me shake my head. I grew out of the crotch rocket comparisons a long time ago. Personally I think that thing is hideous looking but that of course is just personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they should have pitted it against the ER6,SV650,GLADIUS,CB500F.
the NC wasn't designed for sporting use etc.
the NC is all about getting from A to B in a sublime way not to say it is beautiful but pleasant ride and not hurried.
nice low revving bike ,very economical and the useful frunk! to me its a do it all you need bike.
when I go for a ride now ,I don't have to worry where is the next gas station.
out here in rural places there's hardly any gas stations now most have closed up.
so its nice knowing it'll get me home or the next town.
as far as I'm concerned this is the bike for me but just wish it had brighter colours .

Well, my belief is that it IS a competitor.. but for the 700/750 S. Not the X. Its the cheap, economical bike market.

Heres my take on it:
[video=youtube;3mxV4uN1to4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mxV4uN1to4[/video]

I demoed a FZ-09 and it's the kind of bike you have for when you want to act like a fool, do wheelies and get a ton of speeding tickets.

Translation: completely different than the way I ride my NC700X. It can only be assumed that the entire FZ series will be similar.

Well, my belief is that it IS a competitor.. but for the 700/750 S. Not the X. Its the cheap, economical bike market.

Heres my take on it:

Hah, I'm honored you posted in my thread Cager. I haven't even started riding yet but I've watched all of your videos and they've helped to wean me into the world of motorcycles. I know you have your NC700X but I always get the impression from your videos that you wish you had another (hoodlum) bike ;) lol.

I agree that it's a competitor to the S, but the problem is the S isn't even available over here (in the US). It's the X or nothing (yet for some reason the US magazines/sites keep pitting it against the X). Oh well though, at least we have people like you doing real-world reviews to help break through the bullshit. :cool:

I don't think I've ever seen such an aggressive ad, especially targeting a competitors product.

Yamaha should get hold of who ever thought that crap up and hang em out to dry, what a load of biased shite.

The ad makes them look desperate, knowing that the NC is a great bike seems to have them rattled.

-1 Karma for Yamaha.

Yamaha is comparing Apples to Oranges here.

The Honda wasn't trying to be a 48mpg, relatively fast, good braking, yet still under sprung 687CC twin.

The Honda was trying to be a commuter. A commuter that is fast enough. A commuter that stops well enough. A commuter that is also under sprung, but still handles well enough to commute on -- and has the gas mileage and storage to go with it. It's an entirely different bike than the FZ07.

My buddy has an FZ-09, in fact, I rode it today. It brakes better, it's faster, it's less comfortable and the suspension is just as crappy as our stock NC700x's. The difference? It gets 45mpg and has no storage. I would never buy one.

My next bike will be another Italian motorcycle, one that gets 0mpg and requires way too much maintenance. But one that I don't expect the unexpected from.

Yamaha missed the mark here... Apples to Oranges.

looking aside from the attack on a bike that is completely different, why are they comparing to the NC700x any how? With in the next year or two they will likely be competing against an NC750x, which has improved styling, more horse power, and maintains the low center of gravity (which might make up for the weight difference any way)

Also I'm not sure if manufactures introduce bikes at lower prices to get the market excited for them and then increase the price, but in 2012 the msrp for the NC was $6999 or a price difference of approximately "who the hell cares!"

I'm also baffled by the attacks on the NC's brakes... it stops well enough, sure you can install quad disc 18 piston brakes on a bike... but why the hell would you? at some point you reach an area of diminishing returns... usually about the moment the tire locks up, and with ABS you'd never use the brakes to their full potential any how...

Though, when my father was shopping for his bike, he found that every one listed things that they did "better than a goldwing" it was what drove him to the goldwing... clearly it was the gold standard that every one had to compare themselves to in the cruisers he was looking at, and if you are going to buy something why not start by looking at the gold standard. I guess the NC is the gold standard of bikes that don't fit neatly into a particular category.

The Honda is a really advanced design concept, the Yamaha, same as all the others.

I kind of liked the (seemingly) UNadvanced aspects of the bike: modest displacement, SOHC, chain drive, single front disc, etc. The only thing they managed to restrain themselves from was going with a drum brake on the rear.

I like that it's strong points are unostentatious.

It is sad that Yamaha have seen fit to aim one of their bikes at what is basically a multi purpose bike, of which the chassis is also the basis for a scooter ! At the end of a day's riding when I come in off a spin with my mates and we have all been pushing along briskly, with the NC holding its own against more powerful bikes, I love to rub their faces in it by reminding them that " this is basically a scooter dressed up as a motorcycle " . There is no answer to that and it is another reason I love this little bike.

Technically it's not the original video (FZ07.org just reloaded it). Honestly I searched and couldn't find where Yamaha originally uploaded it so I just posted FZ07.org's reupload. I'm sure the original video has plenty of comments. There's a thread on ADVRider with people going back and forth about the video as well (people keep throwing around that the NC is boring and overweight, that's about all they have to work with in their arguments lol).

Yamaha FZ-07 vs Honda NC700X - ADVrider

I threw some comments up and apparently have been bantering back and forth with the guy. I didn't realize he
uploaded it to his channel.

I like d the NC for the quality of the bike and the engine characteristics ( is that word spelt right??) I love high torque ,low reving engines...that yam is no bike for me ,I would not look twice..However I am quite fond of three cylinder motors,,My car has one!!!

Last edited:
Back