• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Should I buy a bike I will have trouble sell it later?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a guy I know (we rode together many times, ,even made couple multi-days trips) who's selling 2000 Aprilia Pegaso 650. The price is right, pretty sure there is no hidden issues (if there is any I know where he reside :D )
The reason I'm interested to buy the bike is to have something more "made for off-road" than NC. As a 2nd bike.

The first reason why am I still thinking should I buy it or not, is the "parts availability", of course. It's Aprilia. :D

The second reason, and the reason I'm starting this thread, is how "smart" is to buy any bike you will (eventually) have trouble to sell later, in couple years?

How much is your $$$ worth?

If you know parts will be a problem and resell will be a problem then you already know that the bike will lose it’s value faster than most similar bikes. If you don’t mind losing more money than you would with another brand, and if you don’t mind paying more and waiting longer for parts then buy it.

Personally I would not.

Since he’s a riding buddy/friend, it isn’t likely you’re going to offer him (or get) a “steal”of a deal. That means you’ll probably pay more than you really should if you’re trying to lessen the hit you know you’re going to take later. I agree on taking a pass - since you’re asking - and try to find a bike to scratch that itch that is easier to maintain (parts availability) and perhaps one that will hold a value, a little closer to what you pay for it, in a couple years. Shop around a little, that’s half the fun and you might be surprised at what you hit on. :)

Ps.. while it’s fun having a less than mainstream bike once in awhile (ask me how I know) it can really “suck” when you need to unload it...

Last edited:
HaHa the best of both worlds...... a 20 year old BMW/Aprilia with an Austrian engine. I guess the best part is the bike has probably depreciated as much as it's going to. It may not every lose any more than today's value but be careful of what value your friend puts on it. If that amount is not more than you are willing to lose if something major goes wrong and the bike is not worth the repair than go for it. If nothing goes wrong while you own it you might get close to what you pay for it if you buy it right.

I agree with the above. If the price is low enough that you can just write it off as "well, that was fun" if you crash it and can't repair it, then get it. If not (and buying it from a buddy makes this more difficult if there is a problem) I would just skip it.

I generally always buy with resale in mind, as I like to wheel and deal rather keep the same unit forever. Future value aside, how many people are going to be interested in something like that when you get ready to resale? Probably very few. What kind of price are we talking about? $1500? If so, I'd say that would be cheap enough if you really wanted it to not worry about resale later. If much more than that, I'd say it ain't worth it.

And what makes it more offroad worthy than the NC? I never heard of that bike, briefly looked up specs, seems it has a few more inches of ground clearance and spoke wheels, but everything else is essentially the same. Or is it that you can beat the piss out of an old bike like this and not worry about if you scratch it up? Either way, doesn't seem like there is enough difference between it and the NC to really gain anything.

Sorry for not responding before, was away from internet for a while...

He's asking $2250, but I'm pretty sure he'll sell it for $2K. Maybe even couple hundreds less.
Comparing to the prices I found on Cycle Trader - the price is "affordable".
I'm thinking the same as you guys, I totally agree. But still giving a thought about buying it because it's "kinda" cheap; the friend would not sell me a lemon; there is one guy who works with me and he's good with working on Aprilias (he has two Aprilias, I think) and he said he would help me if needed. And, at the end, if I ride this bike for a couple years and couple thousands of miles, and if I can't sell it later for more than $1K, "losing" a $1K is still worth it, right?!? Kinda see it as "long term renting". If you, let's say for the sake of an argument, you fly to NYC or LA (business trip), and while there you rent a bike for a day or two, to explore the area. And you pay $150 a day. Expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Heck, yes! So, if it cost me $1K for using it a couple years, is it bad? Or am I approaching to this issue from the wrong side... :confused:

Last edited:
Sorry for not responding before, was away from internet for a while...

He's asking $2250, but I'm pretty sure he'll sell it for $2K. Maybe even couple hundreds less.
Comparing to the prices I found on Cycle Trader - the price is "affordable".
I'm thinking the same as you guys, I totally agree. But still giving a thought about buying it because it's "kinda" cheap; the friend would not sell me a lemon; there is one guy who works with me and he's good with working on Aprilias (he has two Aprilias, I think) and he said he would help me if needed. And, at the end, if I ride this bike for a couple years and couple thousands of miles, and if I can't sell it later for more than $1K, "losing" a $1K is still worth it, right?!? Kinda see it as "long term renting". If you, let's say for the sake of an argument, you fly to NYC or LA (business trip), and while there you rent a bike for a day or two, to explore the area. And you pay $150 a day. Expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Heck, yes! So, if it cost me $1K for using it a couple years, is it bad? Or am I approaching to this issue from the wrong side... :confused:

Buy the bike that “moves ya”! A grand over the life span of a rider and spread amongst the fleet is money well spent if you enjoy what it bought you.:cool:

The Rotax motor in this model is slightly different to the BM version in that it has a 5 valve head. Looking at the ad I think it would be a nice purchase for $2000 especially with the
added equipment. I had the BM Funduro version of the bike from new when they first came out. It was a blast on a backroad and a close friend who had the Aprilia also loved his.

I never purchase with resale in mind. My purchase is because a particular bike appeals to me for one reason or another. My enjoyment of the bike is foremost.

Back