• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Should I change my tires?

Any tire protection would be a surface treatment. These are typically used on the sidewalls for cleaning and shine purposes.

I would not put anything on the tread surface. It would likely make the tire slippery and reduce traction.

People that own campers and RVs usually cover their tires to protect from the sun’s damaging UV rays. Covering your bike sounds like a better option as it will protect the tires, seat, and everything else.

JT

Is there anything that can be applied to take care of your tires while you're not riding? Something equivalent to a cream for your skin? Maybe I'm talking nonsense - applying any oil based compound would definitely not be good for tires - if you're planning to ride them... still had to ask :)

You can put stuff on the sidewalls to help preserve the tires... but the tread is basically grinding against asphalt any time you ride, might as well be sanding anything you put on it right off.

Otherwise general advice for storing anything probably applies.... Cool, Dry, out of direct sunlight.

Update:

The place I'm getting tires at actually has Pilot Road 5... I guess newer is better than older, so I'm getting that at approx 340 USD.

Any tire protection would be a surface treatment. These are typically used on the sidewalls for cleaning and shine purposes.

I would not put anything on the tread surface. It would likely make the tire slippery and reduce traction.

People that own campers and RVs usually cover their tires to protect from the sun’s damaging UV rays. Covering your bike sounds like a better option as it will protect the tires, seat, and everything else.

JT

You can put stuff on the sidewalls to help preserve the tires... but the tread is basically grinding against asphalt any time you ride, might as well be sanding anything you put on it right off.

Otherwise general advice for storing anything probably applies.... Cool, Dry, out of direct sunlight.

Well the least I will do is keep it covered from sunlight. However temperatures during the summer can get pretty wild here, and there's 2-3 summer months that combine the high temperatures with high humidity... Unfortunately, there's no way for me to keep it indoors. The reason I was wondering if there's some kind of tire treatment is because I'll make a few month break.

One of the ideas I have is to keep the old tires on during the summer, when I'm not gonna ride much anyway... however, I might want to give the bike a go once a week and I have zero confidence in them... dilemmas, dilemmas...

I think you will just have to accept that tires will need to be replaced sooner in your environment. It’s the cost of where we live.
Some people burn the center out of tires because of flat straight roads. Some people fight rust and corrosion all over their bikes due to a rainy environment. Some only get to ride a few months each year due to snow and ice.

It is what it is.

Maybe there is indoor storage spaces you can rent?

JT

I’m glad you’ve decided to replace those tires. They’re shot, in my opinion.

A thought for why the old tires are so cracked: Perhaps the previous owner put used tires on, or perhaps they were new but had been in storage (without climate control?) for a few years.

Those tires are toast. The above advice about tire date is important. When you buy new tires, check the dates. Don't let someone sell you old ones.

my first flat

I checked mine and it looks like the tires are dated in late 2015. Just over 120 miles on tires but last night the rear was punctured by a roofing nail coming home from work right in the tread's center. Lucky for me I live less than a mile from work.

I'm not sure if i should just replace both? the tires were obviously stored well, no signs of their age. Anyone have luck with easy options like Slime, old-school rubber puncture strips or a can of fix-a-flat? If so did it hold up?

Last edited:
F2682D4D-37B7-4FF9-8A86-0DD7578924C0.jpg
I checked mine and it looks like the tires are dated in late 2015. Just over 120 miles on tires but last night the rear was punctured by a roofing nail coming home from work right in the tread's center. Lucky for me I live less than a mile from work.

I'm not sure if i should just replace both? the tires were obviously stored well, no signs of their age. Anyone have luck with easy options like Slime, old-school rubber puncture strips or a can of fix-a-flat? If so did it hold up?

If the puncture is in the center (best case scenario) and was not ridden on at low air pressure - which tends to cause hidden damage - then if it was mine, I would definitely plug the puncture. I’ve used plug repair on numerous bike and car tires over the years and have never had one fail. Only you can decide how “repairable” it looks. Follow the instructions on the plug kit and give it a try. If it continues to leak or if you screw up the process, no harm in trying.

(Full disclosure: I was in the tire business for 18 years)

B075A086-3B3D-46BE-A824-31AE92EAAF58.jpg BBDA3BAC-46F0-4FAB-998E-D8268552720C.jpg

Photos are 2500 miles ago on my Michelin Road 5’s. That was one honkin’ big screw. Still going strong...

Last edited:
So far the tires are never on mine long enough to ever dry rot/crack before i wear them out and it's time to change them haha! :{)

If I was to answer the question, I’d say exactly what Red Rider said above.

Is it not better to put a boot patch on the inside of the tire vs plugging? (For long term)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, either method can be very effective. The major advantage with an inside patch job (and those can also incorporate a plug with the patch) is that you now have the opportunity to visually inspect the inside of the tire for damage. Removes the guesswork.

Is it not better to put a boot patch on the inside of the tire vs plugging? (For long term)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If I have the tire off the rim anyway, I install a plug-patch from the inside. I’ve bought tires from forum members who got a center tread puncture in their first 500 miles or so and didn’t feel comfortable using a patched tire. I then ran the patched tire all the way until the tread wore out with no problems or worry.

View attachment 38257

If the puncture is in the center (best case scenario) and was not ridden on at low air pressure - which tends to cause hidden damage - then if it was mine, I would definitely plug the puncture. I’ve used plug repair on numerous bike and car tires over the years and have never had one fail. Only you can decide how “repairable” it looks. Follow the instructions on the plug kit and give it a try. If it continues to leak or if you screw up the process, no harm in trying.

(Full disclosure: I was in the tire business for 18 years)

View attachment 38256 View attachment 38258

Photos are 2500 miles ago on my Michelin Road 5’s. That was one honkin’ big screw. Still going strong...

Thanks, last 2 street bikes (20+ yrs ago) I bought came with tubes so I could fill them up with whatever if needed. I remember a few issues with plugs tearing out on the RZ but that was a completely different animal.

It didn't go flat until I pulled it out so all is good there (that's also what she said:eek:) I'll plug it. If I went with a liquid sealant the only guy I know in town probably wouldn't do another tire or other stuff that he's affordable on. My closest mc dealerships are 45-100 miles away.

On the OT, i was always under the impression tire shine products do nothing to help sidewall life. Too often sellers use them to cover up otherwise dry tires when bike is being sold. When it wears off a week later in your garage you see the true tire.

Doing my last chain maintenance today before leaving next Saturday for GNP. Thought I’d take current pics of that tire plug job. As ugly as it looked when I repaired it, it’s just a nice smooth blemish now.

70F73D2B-F1D6-442A-8EC2-7A4B905C43BB.jpg 5D1DC12E-D6B0-403C-841D-0296B8C72F7E.jpg

I think you will just have to accept that tires will need to be replaced sooner in your environment. It’s the cost of where we live.
Some people burn the center out of tires because of flat straight roads. Some people fight rust and corrosion all over their bikes due to a rainy environment. Some only get to ride a few months each year due to snow and ice.

It is what it is.

Maybe there is indoor storage spaces you can rent?

JT

Very well said. I guess it's just the way it is... still, I'll always try to minimize this climate's negative effects. Unfortunately no, I cannot rent anything - providing a sun shade is the best I can do.

Can't wait for my new tires to arrive :)

My Michelin Pilot Road 5 have arrived, and I've tested them for the past two months. So I'd like to report:

Let me just say that, a first ride on them, and the feeling of confidence I had as soon as I threw away the stock tires is something I'd like to relive someday again... it was like a foot massage after wearing tight shoes for hours, the kind of makes you want tighter shoes just so you could feel the relief again!

Also had a close call a few weeks ago, where an idiot ran just in front of me... I panically reacted and pressed the brakes all the way, and to my amazement didn't run him over, and what's even better didn't slide.

In addition, had a few rides in the rain (just as it started, when it was full on, and also when it has stopped), and in all pre/during/post rain conditions I had confidence in the tires.

Your tires were squared too, which is a separate wear issue. But this gives you a good starting point, generally speaking.

Dunlop Sportmax on my 2012 NC700X. Online it always mentions a 4 digit date code. This code is 8 digit is that because they are OEM tires? Also, the last four digits are 0208 and 0408 which appears to indicate 2008 for the date of manfacture but this bike was made in 2012. Did the previous owner have used tires mounted before selling the bike? Thoughts?

Attachments

• Dunlop Sportmax DOT code 9APM0208 Rear.jpg
    Dunlop Sportmax DOT code 9APM0208 Rear.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Dunlop Sportmax DOT code 9APM0408 Front.jpg
    Dunlop Sportmax DOT code 9APM0408 Front.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 3
Back