• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Should i go for NC750x

Imagine the comparison review that goes like this: "I couldn't believe it, the 500 lb 50 hp twin felt just like the 550 lb 110 hp four. The smoothness and power in the half liter bike was uncanny and was the match of the liter bike in every way. Why would anyone would buy and feed a more expensive liter bike when the thrifty half-size twin was just as smooth and powerful?"

Until that review is a reality we have to make do with the facts of the matter as they are today.

The 750 offers 54 hp to the 51 of the 700 in North American tune. The former's gearing is a bit taller so the difference in displacement is not much to notice. I suspect you would not be happy with the 750 either.

Rest assured I was not trying to elicit a defensive reaction, just giving my impression of a '12 model 700XD. I am assuming the 750X coming to the US will be an improvement over previous NCs. It has been regarded that way in Europe. Nor am I put off by the design intention of a long stroke parallel twin as opposed to an inline four as on the Versys or the CBR, or that the NC750 produces half the 1000's HP with 75% of its displacement. Its engine is a designed to be a durable, long running torque pump, a tried and true approach to a motorcycle engine.

The NC is a bike that has been continually improved year-to-year since its introduction. Honda is boasting more power, better suspension, better seat and windscreen, and something very attractive to me, smoother DCT shifting and trans behavior in the NC750 coming to the US in mid-year.

Despite any prediction that I won't like it, I will indeed try it, with specific things in mind vis a vis the 2012 NC700 I was able to shake down. If I like it I will buy it. I am not expecting the Versys 1000's peak HP and power curve, just hoping for a better worked out NC. Which Honda is in fact promising us. I hope that clarifies the intent of my previous post.

All or some of the things deemed important to many riders are typically upgraded from OEM anyway. In a 2016-2017 you might find in someone's else's depreciation the funds to really tune to your liking the windshield, suspension, lighting, and seating and still get the improved (?) shifting and 3 S mode electronics.

In the EC for the better part of 3 years the NC was Honda's A2 compliant >47 hp motorcycle so the increase to 54 was a larger relative increase. USA always got the 51 hp tune.

Whatever your choice I hope you find the bike that makes you happy.

Yessir, the farkling is half the fun of a bike. I tend to start with getting the ergos dialed, convenience items, then with less commitment the looks, sound and etc. I also tend to defer all of it for getting good safety gear, which I pretty much have already.

I am looking for available 2016s as that seems to be a year of many improvements. But they are rare as hen's teeth on the used market, and hard to find as leftovers at dealerships.

If there's a bike that comes with a perfect saddle and windscreen, I don't know about it... :cool:

Last edited:
i am thinking about coming back to the NC. Currently i have a 2017 Yamaha FZ07 and a 2015 Yamaha Smax scooter.
Back in April 2016 I bought a new NC750x dct. There are times that i miss having that bike around. Thinking about downsizing
and melding the two Yamaha bikes into one. I am liking the specs of the new 2018 NC750x. I am going to be talking to dealers over
the next few weeks to see what i can get figured out.

I would first look at trading in both bikes towards the NC. If the out the door numbers work out to my satisfaction i may go for it. Otherwise would have to
try to sell the bikes privately. The other reason i am thinking about this is i recently got a new electric pedal bike (pedal assist and also has a throttle) so that
bike can fill in for when i would be using the scooter.

working with dealers now to see if a deal can be made. Some of the items that are making me look at the NC again. The big changes to the 2018 model.
LED lighting. Showa fork. better seat. larger windscreen. 2 mode traction control (plus can turn off) big one is the rev limit for up shifting goes from 6600
to 7500 rpm.
(These changes are in comparison to the Canadian 2016 NC750x which i got in April 2016)

Yes, I am awaiting these changes as well. I rode a 2014... the NC has always been a good machine but the fine tuning for 2018 promises to make it better.

Back