• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Should I replace these sprockets?

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Need to get a new chain and trying to figure out if I need sprokets too. I've read all the threads and most of the forum opinions but I really dont know what wear looks like on a sproket. The images ive seen all show extreme or a lot of wear but mine just look like they always have to me.

Now I am very easy on my bike and most psrts have last a bit longer then the average rider because I go easy on the bike. The chain has almost 17k on it and I feel like from other photos ive seen the sprokets look pretty good.

Here are a couple of poor images I dont see any significant wear so should I just wait and see how they do with a new chain?

Also I noticed that the front sprocket wiggles side to side even thought the bolt is tightened down correctly. Is this normal or part of my problem?

IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg

Sprockets look fine to me.

thanks Greg i trust your opinion. what are your thoughts on the front sprocket movement? seems bad to me but ive never checked that before so dont know. It wiggles maybe .5mm in and out ont the bolt.

There is definitely wear, there. The front sprocket has a clear groove being worn into the pressure face. Not enough to worry about IMHO.
The rear should last at least twice as long as the front, but I have to wonder how you broke the tooth, or is that the way it came?

As to the looseness, all I can say is I cleaned up that area when I replaced my chain and the front sprocket on mine is sorta loose with perhaps a similar 0.5mm axial play.

Thats not a wear grove its just gunky build up. I can remove it with my finger. There is no broken teeth on either sprokets.

Im happy to hear the looseness might be normal

I would give both sprockets a real good cleaning before installing a new chain..........never know what kind of "grit" or particles are in that dark "goo". I'm anal about having clean sprockets and chain..........

The front sprocket floats on the shaft. There is a .40mm gap between the washer and the sprocket.

0E101DCB-6EBD-4C5C-BD21-EE3603EEAB84.jpg

So the “wiggle” is normal.

Thanks showkey that makes me feel a lot better. Yeah I will def clean it a lot. I did a clean just now too.

Now on to the next issue. After I tightened my chain while it was still on the stand I tried to replicate or see if I could figure out the problems I am having in this thread HERE.

With the engine on when I put it in drive now it takes off at about 7 mph. It didnt use to do this. The idle looks the same as it always does so Im not sure why its doing it now. Also I noticed a constant clicking coming from the front sprocket which I assume is from the stretched chain?

But what has me more concerned is there a a solid clunk coming from the rear sprocket/wheel. It happens on every full rotation of the tire not the chain. I did not see any links jumping or kinking to cause the noise and even getting right up against the wheel I could not tell where the sound was coming from. I did notice that when I move the wheel by hand there is a definit tight spot where it gets pretty tight. I ordered a new chain and will try to not ride the bike to much until it comes.

Thanks showkey that makes me feel a lot better. Yeah I will def clean it a lot. I did a clean just now too.

Now on to the next issue. After I tightened my chain while it was still on the stand I tried to replicate or see if I could figure out the problems I am having in this thread HERE.

With the engine on when I put it in drive now it takes off at about 7 mph. It didnt use to do this. The idle looks the same as it always does so Im not sure why its doing it now. Also I noticed a constant clicking coming from the front sprocket which I assume is from the stretched chain?

But what has me more concerned is there a a solid clunk coming from the rear sprocket/wheel. It happens on every full rotation of the tire not the chain. I did not see any links jumping or kinking to cause the noise and even getting right up against the wheel I could not tell where the sound was coming from. I did notice that when I move the wheel by hand there is a definit tight spot where it gets pretty tight. I ordered a new chain and will try to not ride the bike to much until it comes.
I always lube the shaft that the drive sprocket goes on. If there is any red looking dust/rust powder there it is due to the sprocket and shaft rubbing. It is not rust though. I use a moly-fortified synthetic bearing grease from the auto store.
On the clunk... When you remove the chain you might want to remove the rear wheel and check the cushion/damper rubbers in the hub
ed780fbb2c93437ddd8ac699f1dd481a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have come across that knocking sound on my former NC700X and a replacement chain sorted it. In answer to your first question I concur with the opinion of others above that the sprockets are in pretty good condition for the mileage that is on them. However it is good practice to replace a chain and sprockets as a set. The reasoning is that a worn sprocket, especially the front, will accelerate wear on a new chain. Tbh You have done well keeping the front sprocket in such good condition for 17,000 miles. It is a pity that Honda used such a poor chain on the bike in the first place.

^^^+1

Sprocket sets are under $50 so while you’ve got everything off why not replace them - and the Cush drive (the rubber absorbers in the rear). Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don’t get the idea of replacing $50 in sprockets and $50 in Cush drive rubbers on a low mileage bike. When the clunk is very likely normal.

If the chain is kinky or sticky links at 16,000 has some merit.

Honda part house was only $38. I too would not replace at 17,000. He had a clunk, which I don't have on a 23,000 mile bike or a 10,000 mile bike. That is why I posted to check... with a picture where they were if he didn't know and I thought I was being nice to look up a part number if he needed it. Wasn't telling him to blindly replace parts. Not my style. I like to get the full life out of something...
I was looking up chains too and they seem to have gone up in price in the last two years!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.

I've ordered a new chain and will hold off on new sprockets but keep an eye on them. I will also when putting on the new chain clean and do a better inspection of them. I'll check the rubbers while its off just in case but it seems like the chain is the real problem and hopefuly solves some of my other issues.

Yea, that tight spot is at least one kinked link and could easily be causing that noise you hear from the rear sprocket-even if you dont see it jump or move (you cant see inside the roller pins or where the pins meet the side plates)...

Back