• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sidestand Strength

ScooTrader

Reaction score
Visit site
I weigh on an average 200lbs, and I was wondering how strong the side stand was and if anyone has experience failure. The reason being, I need to mount and dismount while having luggage on the rear, and I’d like to be able to stand on the foot peg and dismount while the sides stand is down. Any advice?

Last edited:
I weight 195# naked (more than you needed to know, but now you have to get an image out of your mind)

My bike carries a full compliment of side cases and top box from Hepco & Becker. In addition I swapped out my back seat for a Dale's Rack and carry a packed duffle for travel.

While it is not my normal practice to mount or dismount while using my foot peg, I have done so. I've had no issues. Doing something occasionally may not be indicative of doing something constantly, consequently my occasional experiences may not reflect the results you get if you do it all the time.

I weight 195# naked (more than you needed to know, but now you have to get an image out of your mind)

My bike carries a full compliment of side cases and top box from Hepco & Becker. In addition I swapped out my back seat for a Dale's Rack and carry a packed duffle for travel.

While it is not my normal practice to mount or dismount while using my foot peg, I have done so. I've had no issues. Doing something occasionally may not be indicative of doing something constantly, consequently my occasional experiences may not reflect the results you get if you do it all the time.

So, the side stand is a weak point? Are there aftermarket ones that are adequate?

I've found that getting on and off (If you have the ballance) on the right side rest puts most of the pressure on the tires. But my GL500 and GL650 are not that high off the ground. If you have luggage on the pillion, just lifting a leg flat off the ground is difficult.

Here are some suggestions:

With photos:

If I have luggage I stick my leg on the seat and hop towards the bike (Charley Boorman style). I've seen a GS with a scuffed topbox due to the owner kicking it when mounting from the peg.

So, the side stand is a weak point?
I didn’t say that. I said I don’t typically mount/dismount the bike that way. I don’t want to imply the kickstand is weak because my experience doesn’t show it but I put out a note of caution because I don’t always stand in the peg

I’ve got a tall enough inseam that I usually throw my right leg over while my left foot is planted on the ground.

The sidestand on a Honda is typically solid, forged steel so it's pretty strong. The mild angle of the sidestand in the down position means most of the force from a rider's weight is going straight into the ground - rather than trying to bend it as would occur with a longer sidestand.

I use the left footpeg all the time to mount/dismount.

I'm over 240# and have the flexibility of a concrete block. With the bike is on the side stand, I'll step on the right peg and get on that way.

Bike has a top box and factory side cases.

I'm over 240# and have the flexibility of a concrete block. With the bike is on the side stand, I'll step on the right peg and get on that way.

I tried on my GL500 that has a trunk on the pillion and couldn't gracefully get on off the ground. It seem the safest way is on the peg. I think right peg or putting your weigh over the bike instead of the stand keeps the stress off the stand.

I stand on the peg and swing my other leg over from there all the time, BUT that’s with the bike on the center stand. There’s at least one thread here showing an owner with a bent side stand. IIRC, it bent slowly over time.

The sidestand on a Honda is typically solid, forged steel so it's pretty strong. The mild angle of the sidestand in the down position means most of the force from a rider's weight is going straight into the ground - rather than trying to bend it as would occur with a longer sidestand.

I use the left footpeg all the time to mount/dismount.

This. Don't overthink it, you aren't going to do anything to damage the sidestand. The bike would probably fall over side stand still attached if you were to do something wrong, but I highly doubt you are going to damage the sidestand with your weight and anything else you may be carrying on the bike....

I'm reading these posts and thinking about how I don't like using the left footpeg to get on, it feels like I might overbalance. But I don't need to, instead I grab my right shin and pull it over the seat (I am 56 with a bum leg after all). But I had never thought about using the right peg and I started to wonder what would be wrong with that and the answer is that my Mother drilled into me that you always mount a horse from the left side when I was a small child and I guess that carried over.

It's amazing what we learn as small children that is ingrained for life.

I stand on the peg and swing my other leg over from there all the time, BUT that’s with the bike on the center stand. There’s at least one thread here showing an owner with a bent side stand. IIRC, it bent slowly over time.

Do you put the center stand down before getting off the bike? Is that possible?

No. No way to lift the bike up onto the center stand while you’re on it. Easy to put it up on the center stand when you’re standing beside it, though.

I always mount using the foot peg and sidestand. I did have to replace the sidestand once when i noticed the bike was gradually leaning further and further. I think it was like $55 on amazon. I now try to keep my center of gravity over the bike further and less weight on foot peg or mount from right side.

No. No way to lift the bike up onto the center stand while you’re on it. Easy to put it up on the center stand when you’re standing beside it, though.
I was kinda joking. :) But since you mentioned it, I have been taking off from my center stand instead of my side stand. It is more stable when mounting from the left footpeg.

Reactions: MZ5
Do you do the ‘I’m an awesome rider’ thing and just sorta push forward as you’re standing on the pegs to launch the bike? I can usually pull that off.
...usually...
(-:

Back