• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Skid Plate

Phaedrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Good Morning and Happy 2020!

Just got yesterday my new 2018 NC750X. The bike is part of a project to go around the US this summer with an old "Compadre" and his VStrom. We are just a couple of happy 60 year old kids that got permission from the wives to go and play.

As it happen with a new bike I'm in the process of "farkling" the beast. One item I'm considering is a skid plate. The obvious one is SW-Motech one here, but I got a sore eye due to its $330 price.

Looking for an alternative I found this "cheapy" for 30$. It's got a weird design being flat vs following the contour of the engine. Just for reference, I just need a light protector for pebbles and small rocks, not a heavy duty off road one, as I won't be doing any of it.

Any experience with the cheap one? Opinions?

Thanks,

No experience with the "cheapy" but look at it this way - would you really trust something that costs less than the material it should be made from? Would you buy a bullet-proof vest made from "it's almost kevlar"?

Take the extra time to save up for a good, proven one. Doesn't have to be the SW-Motech one, but get something substantial. The shipping weight is just over 1 pound, so this cannot be good steel, if it is even steel at all.

There is no way I could recommend that piece.

Search the forums for HondaBikePro and his skid plate. I have his rear carrier plate and the thing is quality. Others have his skid plate as well, and if it is even half what the rear carrier is, it is 100% better than that cheapy.

Thanks for the replies.

For now, I'm going to keep looking.

The 'cheapy' looks suspicious even thought it probably only covers the front portion of the engine. The SW-Motech ($330) is not even compatible with a center stand, a dealbreaker. And the HondaBikePro (~$500) is beyond me both in price and strength as I'm not aiming at off-road adventures.

Thanks for the replies.

For now, I'm going to keep looking.

The 'cheapy' looks suspicious even thought it probably only covers the front portion of the engine. The SW-Motech ($330) is not even compatible with a center stand, a dealbreaker. And the HondaBikePro (~$500) is beyond me both in price and strength as I'm not aiming at off-road adventures.
If you have any fabrication skills I saw a YouTube video if a guy make his own out of aluminium that came out beautifully

As usual with these 'cheapy' items there is more than one distributor. I was able to find a picture of how it looks mounted. It covers only the oil sump area right in front of the center stand. Hardly off-road worthy but perhaps better than nothing. And I say 'perhaps' as it depends where it's mounted. I'd seem in other bikes some "genious" design that are attached to the engine case bolts. That's one situation where nothing is better.

Screenshot 2020-01-04 at 15.08.53.png

Here is also the link.

I ordered one to see it in person and decide if it offers any protection. Otherwise back to Amazon and no harm done.

Last edited:
Yep. It’s mounted using the oil pan bolts.
No thanks for me. I’m not cracking those bolts loose and risk a leak.

JT

Back