• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Slight Burny Smell This Morning

Mainsail

Reaction score
Visit site
It was cool this morning, guessing around 50° or so. As I approached the gate guard I noticed a slight burny smell coming from the bike somewhere. It was still dark out when I parked but I came out later and didn't notice anything amiss. It's only about 15 mins from the driveway to work, so not a long ride or anything.

When I got home this evening I still smell it but much less. I thought the engine might be running hot so I checked the coolant and oil; both good.

2012 with about 2600 miles.

It appears to be coming off the engine best I can tell. I would describe it as either a hot paint or hot plastic smell. Overheat light never came on. Fan was running when I pulled in the driveway (turning CCW when looking from the rear if I remember right).

Don't worry?

Last edited:
Could be the exhaust pipe just under the front sprocket? When was the last time you cleaned out the front sprocket area? Have you oiled/sprayed the chain lately? Junk can leak down from the front sprocket area and onto the exhaust pipe and smell funky.

As David says the Exhaust system would be my first culprit also. You might have picked up something on the road on your last ride.

I was starting to think it was my pants on the exhaust pipe- wore some thin nylon tactical style cargo pants; a little baggy in the cuffs. Not a good choice if I went down but my jeans were in the wash. Anyway, looked them over and don't see anything that would indicate they'd been on the pipe, so that isn't it.

Hasn't done it again so maybe you're right- something kicked up from the road.

Back